Power forward prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

La-La-Laprise said:
He looks like him when he plays but i dunno, he seems too skinny to play the way Mats plays. But he could add weight.
Agreed.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Boomhower said:
Well he might have top 6 upside for the Phantoms, but his lack of hands give him virtually no shot at scoring with any regularity in the NHL.

That's you opinion, and your entitled to it. I'll wait to see how he plays in his first pro year, but everything that's come out of camp has hsi wristshot as great and a great slapshot. IMO he has scoring line potential in the NHL.

leafaholix*

I don't consider Carter a power forward in the way that I consider Bertuzzi a power forward. From what I've seen, I'm not sure how anyone can. Having seen Sundin play a few hundred games with the Leafs, Carter is the first prospect that really resembles Sundin's game. If he fills out, I think he'll be a dominating offensive talent, not a Bertuzzi or Thornton type, but a guy that is rarely out-muscled off the puck and has great offensive skills, without the dropping the gloves or big hits.

Mats Sundin doesn't have extraordinary hands, he's no Pavel Bure or Jaromir Jagr... and I don't think that's what Jeff Carter will rely on to score points in the NHL. He'll rely on his vision, playmaking, shot, and strength to produce, much like Sundin.

Either Sundin or Primeau, very similar in their styles, but one plays a more finesse/European game.

leafaholix*

King Fish said:
What Carter has over Sundin and Primeau NOW is speed. He has also put on a little weight, at camp he is listed at 6'3 200, he could stand to put on some more lbs.
Mats Sundin was apparently very fast when he was around 20 years old. Before he got up to 220 pounds. A very similar physique to Jeff Carter at a young age, very lanky but quick.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
DaveyCrockett said:
Power Forward is one of the most overused terms by fans and the media. It should really only apply to big nasty bastards who can score. None of the aformentioned prospects has shown enough of a mean streak to be coined a power forward. Stewart and Ladd have potential as a PF but neither is deserving of that title at this time.

Big nasty bastards who can score, ha ha ha. That's a great line.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Fleury14 said:
I've thought of Carter as more of a hybrid of Thornton/Modano for style of play. Moves around in the offensive zone/near the net like Thornton but skates like Modano. I guess, in a way, that is sort of like Sundin.

Wow...

Jeff would be pleased to ear that...

May be the best hybrid you can have.

Thornton and modano!! Wow...

Hope you are right.

BJ21

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
King Fish said:
What Carter has over Sundin and Primeau NOW is speed. He has also put on a little weight, at camp he is listed at 6'3 200, he could stand to put on some more lbs.

Primeau and Sundin are both well over 200 Lbs and taller aswell. I don't see Carter having Sundin's speed when he finishes growing. He also does not strike me as on overly physical player, despite his size.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Well people tend to see a guys size and stats and call him a PF. Many would probably think Tallackson, Pihlman and Ryznar are NJ's best PF when in reality Voros is the closest thing NJ has to having a PF. At 6`4 he is very big but really needs to fill out. He has really soft hands and can score in bunches.He hits like a truck, is mean, nasty, heartless, mean, nice hands........did I say mean? He will have to improve his skating to be a top 6 forward but he is almost certain to become a 4th line checker.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
paxtang said:
That's you opinion, and your entitled to it. I'll wait to see how he plays in his first pro year, but everything that's come out of camp has hsi wristshot as great and a great slapshot. IMO he has scoring line potential in the NHL.

I'll back up Boomhower on this one. While he has a great shot, so does Andre Roy, which is actually a pretty fair comparison for Eager. He lacks hands or hockey sense. He seriously lacks both in fact. He's got size, speed and heavy but inaccurate shot, and he fights. But he is by no means a scoring line prospect at this point. He may find himself more succesful in the professional game, but I'd be incredibly surprised if he's ever a scoring line player in the NHL. Simply put, he lacks the hands or head.

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
Rob Globke?

Florida prospect, I think he is going to be good. Not a lot of press on the guy, but I'd take it to bank he at least becomes something like a Chris Simon type with self control and a better scoring touch. Not that Simon is a power forward, but a tough player who can score is what I think Mr Globke can be.

Won't be Todd Bertuzzi, but a tough nosed 2nd scoring line itch on the opposing teams skin he will be.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Leafaholix said:
Mats Sundin was apparently very fast when he was around 20 years old. Before he got up to 220 pounds. A very similar physique to Jeff Carter at a young age, very lanky but quick.

What do you mean apparently WAS fast? Sundin appears to be slower because of his size and skating style. If you doubt his speed you should check him out live, he is a pleasure to watch. To see him cut in off the wing is incredible, and there are few D men who can handle him, with his combination of size, strength, skill, and speed. He is not recognized as a big tough player, but I feel just because he doesn't mix it up like Forsberg, he is one of, if not the, most under appreciated players in the league.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
db23 said:
What do you mean as "power forward"? If you mean big strong grinder type wingers, I think they are all fairly equal. But I don't think any of them will be a "power forward" in the sense of a Brendan Shanahan or Jerome Iginla or Ryan Smyth. None of them will be prolific scorers at the NHL level.

Lemme get this straight, NONE of these 4 top prospects will be prolific scorers in the NHL? Seems unlikely given the odds and the calibre of prospects we're talking about. I watched Carter in the WJC camp and he looked very, very impressive, a high calibre prospect along with most of them.

yet another db23 post that leaves me shaking my head. Go look up some more stats while the rest of us actually watch these players and form some opinions with some basis to them.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Puckhead said:
Primeau and Sundin are both well over 200 Lbs and taller aswell. I don't see Carter having Sundin's speed when he finishes growing. He also does not strike me as on overly physical player, despite his size.

Well Carter looked blazingly fast at the WJC camp last week. Can't see him slowing up that much. Definitely as fast as Sundin.

As others have said though, he doesn't play the powerforward style. Haven't seen Tukonen but Ladd and Stewart play more of the "power" game than Carter does.

But if I had to choose one, I'd take Jeff Carter for sure.

Last edited:

guitaraholic*

Blues have a trio of guys with supposedly decent offensive upside who *can* play a power forward type game: Carl Soderberg, David Backes and David Fredriksson

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Lemme get this straight, NONE of these 4 top prospects will be prolific scorers in the NHL? Seems unlikely given the odds and the calibre of prospects we're talking about. I watched Carter in the WJC camp and he looked very, very impressive, a high calibre prospect along with most of them.

yet another db23 post that leaves me shaking my head. Go look up some more stats while the rest of us actually watch these players and form some opinions with some basis to them.

I have to admit I do like db23's posts for the most part, but I have noticed that he refuses to go out on a limb and appreciate what these young kids have to offer. I would no go as far as comparing any of them to NHL legends, but just by being drafted you figure they atleast have a shot at being NHL'ers right?

TKLOOCH22

Jul 23, 2002
Nueva York
Visit site
Only two mentions of Hugh Jessiman? Thats a shame. The guy should be a great power forward once he hits the pro's. He has size(as a PF should), the shot, the passing and skating.

Guig

Jun 17, 2003
Qc
GorillazXL said:
Anthony Stewart has the size and strength, but I can't see him being a big scorer like Horton. IMO he'll be a type of player you need on a cup winner, tough but skilled enough put up some points. 45+ pts/ season

What you forget about Stewart is his speed and skating. He was one of the fastest skater of the draft. And IMO his scoring hability are underrated. I think A. Stewart will be a good power foward. 65 pts/season.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Puckhead said:
How do the likes of Anthony Stewart, Jeff Carter, Lauri Tukonen, and Andrew Ladd compare to one another? And who looks to be the guy who could step in to his teams plans and contribute?

I would put Dustin Brown in their before Tukonen. Brown has Deadmarsh clone written all over him.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Scottkmlps said:
I would put Dustin Brown in their before Tukonen. Brown has Deadmarsh clone written all over him.

Lets hope he's not a complete clone, cause Deadmarsh is having some serious health issues.

Divine Wind

guitaraholic said:
Blues have a trio of guys with supposedly decent offensive upside who *can* play a power forward type game: Carl Soderberg, David Backes and David Fredriksson

Raffi Torres if he keeps up his mean streak and keeps hitting everything in sight, unless he gets this notion he is a finesse scorer (ala Laraque :banghead: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->