Speculation: Potential Toronto/Eric Fehr deal?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Apparently the guys at Hockey Central think so, here's Sinbin trying to deconstreuct the potential deal.

http://sinbin.vegas/if-a-deal-was-done-for-eric-fehr-why-and-what-would-vegas-get/

However, that didn’t stop the guys over at Hockey Central from speculating that deals were indeed agreed upon. Former Columbus BJ’s general manager Doug MacLean basically guaranteed the Golden Knights agreed to at least a few deals, and even went as so far as to mention one player by name. Eric Fehr.

The deal…

Vegas selects Eric Fehr in the Expansion Draft.

Toronto gets to keep all five defensemen, don’t need to sign any more players to meet the expansion requirements, and give up a player they had on the roster for three months.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
There is no deal simply because of Fehr's health.
On the other side TOR might not have to offer much in the draft. In such cases I would draft a goalie.
Why waste a draft pick on Fehr?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I feel like Toronto would have to toss something small on top of Fehr to make that appealing to Vegas, remember Pittsburgh effectively paid a 4th rounder to clear his contract.

Headshot is right, Fehr is a quality depth center (though I think the days of him being capable of a 3rd line role are in the past, and he's lousy on the wings now...still very solid as a 4C, though), but at $2 million he's slightly overpaid for his role.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
LAS should be able to draft 3rd line guys with the potential to be 2nd line players.
But why not draft 4th line guys, 7 goalies, trade the first rd pick for Erat and ice an AHL team.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
LAS should be able to draft 3rd line guys with the potential to be 2nd line players.
But why not draft 4th line guys, 7 goalies, trade the first rd pick for Erat and ice an AHL team.

Maybe McPhee wants to #Tank :yo:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I think the Leafs are a bit worried about losing Antoine Bibeau to Vegas. He's a strong goalie prospect and I'm pretty certain will be able to be sent to the minors without having to clear waivers. A nice building block between the pipes for an expansion club.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I think the Leafs are a bit worried about losing Antoine Bibeau to Vegas. He's a strong goalie prospect and I'm pretty certain will be able to be sent to the minors without having to clear waivers. A nice building block between the pipes for an expansion club.

The Leafs could toss Vegas a pick so that they focus on Fehr.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Not that. Good for him if he can continue his career here. I just mean he's been such a roamer in recent years.

That is what happens when you lose effectiveness. Some people like Stempniak go their entire careers being irrelevant but effective bottom 6 guys. To see formerly great players relegated to mediocrity through time is inevitable and depressing. Just ask Iginla.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Leafs fan here. I was pretty surprised when I heard about this, as Leafs are in a great spot regarding expansion. I can tell you this move was not made to protect any of our additional D, the only ones worth protecting are Rielly/Gardiner/Carrick and Zaitsev is exempt.

If I had to guess the motivation for this trade, I would say it's to allow Leafs to be patient when they try to trade JVR/Bozak (which they will do) but most importantly, it allows Leafs to trade for a defense-man without worrying about protecting that player.

If that is indeed the motivation for such a arrangement/trade, I could see Vegas being in a great position to do the same type of trade with other teams that want to take advantage of other teams who will be looking to trade excess players.

Anyways, I wonder if teams like Minny/Ducks/etc strike a deal with Vegas, as they would be in tight situation to work out trades prior to expansion.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Leafs fan here. I was pretty surprised when I heard about this, as Leafs are in a great spot regarding expansion. I can tell you this move was not made to protect any of our additional D, the only ones worth protecting are Rielly/Gardiner/Carrick and Zaitsev is exempt.

If I had to guess the motivation for this trade, I would say it's to allow Leafs to be patient when they try to trade JVR/Bozak (which they will do) but most importantly, it allows Leafs to trade for a defense-man without worrying about protecting that player.

If that is indeed the motivation for such a arrangement/trade, I could see Vegas being in a great position to do the same type of trade with other teams that want to take advantage of other teams who will be looking to trade excess players.

Will be interesting leading up to the expansion draft.

Certainly will be interesting to see what unfolds leading up to the expansion draft.

Anyways, I wonder if teams like Minny/Ducks/etc strike a deal with Vegas, as they would be in tight situation to work out trades prior to expansion.

I honestly think teams like that will consider buying out guys to help create their protect list. Anaheim buying out Bieksa would help their situation. I'm not sure what the cap penalty specifically would be in terms of dollars and years but it probably will be discussed internally, pro's v con's of doing so.

I can see other teams looking at this as well with players depending of their strategy (Beauchemin, Callahan, Filpulla, Hossa, Pominville).

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
The Leafs could toss Vegas a pick so that they focus on Fehr.

Not all teams will be tossing Vegas picks to stay away from certain players.If Bibeau goes we can easily resign McBackup.

Vegas has to pick 3 goalies during this expansion draft.I think there are better choices than Bibeau.

Last edited:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Not all teams will be tossing Vegas picks to stay away from certain players.If Bibeau goes we can easily resign McBackup.

Vegas has to pick 3 goalies during this expansion draft.I think there are better choices than Bibeau.

It doesn't matter if there are better goalies available in the draft, goalies are the least problem. Skater matter, so if TOR won't expose quality skater Bibeau should be drafted.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

It's terrible to let other teams escape the expansion trouble. Vegas might only get little bit in return.

I'm starting to hate McPhee.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
It's terrible to let other teams escape the expansion trouble. Vegas might only get little bit in return.

I'm starting to hate McPhee.

It really isn't, and you're going to have to get over every minor deal because there will be a lot of deals like this and you'll get incredibly stressed out. :laugh:

I can guarantee that Eric Fehr to Vegas will be an insignificant deal almost nobody cares about by the time we're looking to contend, that is, unless we draft a complete superstar with the late pick we'll probably receive.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
It really isn't, and you're going to have to get over every minor deal because there will be a lot of deals like this and you'll get incredibly stressed out. :laugh:

I can guarantee that Eric Fehr to Vegas will be an insignificant deal almost nobody cares about by the time we're looking to contend, that is, unless we draft a complete superstar with the late pick we'll probably receive.

It's bad to create FREE ISLANDS. All the money will go there.

And not only that, drafting 7 goalies, my God. The heat in Vegas must be too much for McPhee.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The likely main exposures from us with be Martin, Fehr, Marincin, or whatever goalie we sign.

So, Fehr is likely the best bet anyway

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't understand why the Leafs would offer an extra pick to force us to take Fehr lol it's not like they covet Marincin or Marchenko or whomever. All the players they want to protect will either be exempted or protected so this makes no sense and it's probably just BS speculation considering the source is Doug Maclean.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I don't understand why the Leafs would offer an extra pick to force us to take Fehr lol it's not like they covet Marincin or Marchenko or whomever. All the players they want to protect will either be exempted or protected so this makes no sense and it's probably just BS speculation considering the source is Doug Maclean.

Vegas might allow TOR to be a FREE ISLAND so all the players TOR will get through trades before the draft Vegas won't touch.

lewis94

May 6, 2009
Martin, Rychel and Fehr will likely be exposed. Possibly Leivo or Leipsic. No way are the Leafs worried about Bibeau. He's a dime a dozen prospect. Don't think he has an NHL future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad