Potential Top Goalies in the 2005 Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

I believe two of the top North American goalies are Alexandre Vincent and Carey Price.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
Jean-Philippe Levasseur ... Rouyn-Noranda Huskies
Tuukka Rask ... Ilves Tampere
Carey Price ... Try-City Americans
Alexandre Vincent ... Chicoutimi Saguenéens
Ryan Mior ... PEI Rocket

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Minnesota definetly needs one too...

After Harding there is Gherdon and Kettles...not great depth...

X-SHARKIE

My favorite goaltender of this draft before the season started was Alexander Vincent and it still is....the guy oooozes potential, he's a personal favorite of mine but it's very likely a guy like Carey Price is the first goaltender taken.

Levasseur was the most hyped goaltender coming into this year but his numbers haven't been very good and I haven't seen one positive review of him yet.

I've seen Ryan Mior twice this year, once totatlly robbing the Moncton Wildcats of a victory...although he's not getting top minutes because of Boutin is there. But I really love Mior's competiveness and he could go late 1st but likely early 2nd.

Tukka Rask has also been recieving mixed reviews but he'll start for the Fins at the WJC's and could very likely be the first goalie taken.

There is a consensus top five really, Vincent, Rask, Mior, Levasseur, Price.

We won't know how they stack up vs each other IMO untill the WJC's and the U-18's.....and league playoffs often dictate a goaltenders stock.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
X, who do you think will drop to the later rounds but will still be a solid goaltender? Ala Akerlund?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
thanks guys. im a leaf and we desperately need one. while telly has potential, we still need insurance. I really recommend leafs to get a goalie in the early round.

icelord6

Oct 14, 2004
Yeah I could see Carey Price and Alexendre Vincent going first and second, but a good sleeper pick for sometime in the second round would be Scott Bowles of the Calgary Hitmen. I have seen this guy play, and he defintely has the capability to steal games for his team, he has kept the Hitmen i games they didn't have business being in at times. If he keeps up his pace, he'll be ranked pretty good come mid-season rankings.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
ic3man24 said:
thanks guys. im a leaf and we desperately need one. while telly has potential, we still need insurance. I really recommend leafs to get a goalie in the early round.

Should get one in the mid-rounds. Goalies drafted in the first two rounds are often busts as it's hard to get a read on their NHL potential as their main developing years come after being drafted.

LHJMQFAN

Oct 30, 2004
DId you see Mior lately? There is something wrong with him. He was very shaky last might against Gatineau, was pulled in the second. He played a terrible game in Moncton early this year and I was told his work ethic is pratically inexisting... I really do not see what people find in him... Please enlighten me...

X-SHARKIE

DoobieDoobieDo said:
X, who do you think will drop to the later rounds but will still be a solid goaltender? Ala Akerlund?

Well I think Tukka Rask is going to be the first goaltender taken from Finland, he's supposively the best goaltending prospect out of Finland since Kari Lehtonen. But there is another goaltender from Finland who could be a find in the later rounds.

Some of the posters here from Finland have been impressed with Jani Nieminen...

It's still very early. Ryan Mior shows glimpses of greatness with great athleticism and unreal lateral movement, He lets in easy goals some nights and has his off nights then other nights he well make unreal saves. His legs are as quick as anybodies and he has great positioning........so he has alot of Raw tools that make him a first round talent, but inconsistancy and shakiness well make him fall.....

Alexander Vincent is my personal favorite of the draft, but he hasn't been on any rankings except Mckeens and they have him around 50.....so mabey he could be a steal? but I just think he's to good not to go in the 1st round, mabey early 2nd.

But the year is still very young and we'll have to see what comes out of Europe but the CHL has four very promising goaltending prospects.

leafaholix*

ic3man24 said:
Unless the Leafs are set that the guy is a sure-fire NHL star, there's no need to waste an early pick on a goaltender. Something like 9 of the 30 goaltenders currently in the NHL were 1st round picks, 3 or 4 were 9th rounders, and many were guys in the 4th, 5th, and 6th rounds.

Though I agree, we have 2 potential #1's in the system with Tellqvist and Pogge, as well as Racine who's a real darkhorse.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Kellen Briggs from the gophers may pan out OK. Like Adam Hauser did. I know Hauser is doing quit well in the AHL. IMO Briggs is better than Hauser at this point in their careers. And Hauser had Leopold and Martin in front of him. Briggs is going to set the gopher shutout record before he is done. Passing Hauser and Stauber on the way. He has a .940 save percentage, and 2 shutouts. To go with 4 shutouts last year. Latlely Wade Dubby was FA pick up. Some team might just want to draft the next the good WCHA goalie instead of playing the FA game. Hauser went in the third.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
zamboni said:
Unless the Leafs trade their early picks away ;)

absolutely right man! JFJ PLEASE DONT WASTE THE PICK!! that settles it! so from the discussion i've found that its better to pick a goalie in the mid rounds. Heres a question for Leafaholix, would u mind picking a goalie in the first round if you know he could be a gem? i dont know man, telly shows flashes of greatness sometimes, but then sometimes allows easy goals, I dont know anything about Pogge, fill me in please dude...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->