Potential on Justin Pogge

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The one thing that Leafs fans should be worried about is the fact that he IS a late bloomer and might actually have hit his peak now instead of later. It's the one thing that would worry me, really, anyway...

And I can't believe that people are really saying his downside is a "1a" goalie or a great back-up. His downside REALLY is a career minor leaguer. First off, he's a goaltender and second off he's one of the most wildcard goaltenders around right now in judging his potential.

Transported Upstater

I'm just happy we have two goalies with NHL starter potential in our stable, rather than a bunch of crap.

It wouldn't suprise me to see either of them starting for the Leafs in several years.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:
The one thing that Leafs fans should be worried about is the fact that he IS a late bloomer and might actually have hit his peak now instead of later. It's the one thing that would worry me, really, anyway...

As opposed to him getting better every season ?

Heaven forbid a prospect actually improves as he gets older.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Jon Prescription said:

And I can't believe that people are really saying his downside is a "1a" goalie or a great back-up. His downside REALLY is a career minor leaguer. First off, he's a goaltender and second off he's one of the most wildcard goaltenders around right now in judging his potential.

Wildcard goalies? Every prospect is a wildcard. What does it matter if he is a late bloomer.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
MentalPowerHouse said:
Wildcard goalies? Every prospect is a wildcard. What does it matter if he is a late bloomer.

It matters a lot, actually. He might just be playing above his true ability.

And you know what I mean when I say wildcard. Don't play dumb.

All I'm saying is I think he's a lot less safe of a bet than a guy like Rask is at this point in time.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:
It matters a lot, actually. He might just be playing above his true ability.

And you know what I mean when I say wildcard. Don't play dumb.

All I'm saying is I think he's a lot less safe of a bet than a guy like Rask is at this point in time.
I think what you are getting at is that Pogge has only had 1.5 good seasons, and is just emerging as a solid prospect whereas Rask has been a solid prospect for quite a while. I think we will have a much better read on Pogge when he goes pro next season.

HOCKEYGOON

Feb 27, 2002
The Penalty Box
Visit site
DaveyCrockett said:
I think what you are getting at is that Pogge has only had 1.5 good seasons, and is just emerging as a solid prospect whereas Rask has been a solid prospect for quite a while. I think we will have a much better read on Pogge when he goes pro next season.

Exactly

I'm not making any judgements on his potential until I at least see what hes capable of at the pro level.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Courtesy of Peter Loubardias Rogers Sportsnet

Collecting Pogge

On a recent playoff tour of the WHL I had an opportunity to watch, in my opinion, the best junior-aged goaltender on the planet. This Just-In, he's good.

Justin Pogge is enjoying a fantastic final season in the junior ranks. The product of Penticton, BC, became a Canadian hero during the World Junior Championship in Vancouver when his spectacular play was a huge reason why our country was able to repeat as champions. Pogge's numbers just in case you forgot: 5-0, 1.00 GAA, a save percentage of .952 and three shutouts. Did I mention the three shutouts included a 35 save effort against the Russian's in the gold medal final? Arguably the most impressive performance ever by a Canadian goalie at that event. (All due respect to Manny Legace and Jimmy Waite)

The 6'3, 188-pound Pogge closed out his season with the Calgary Hitmen in fine form. A league best 1.72 GAA, including 11 shutouts. All that Pogge has left is to lead his team to the Memorial Cup. A tall order indeed. In the post-season Pogge has three blankings to his credit, including a pair in the Hitmen's current series against the highest-scoring team in the WHL, the Moose Jaw Warriors.

Full Story Read on : http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/peter_loubardias/2006/04/14/collecting_pogge/

flair

Sep 25, 2005
DXFlyers said:
How decent is this kid. WJC Gold Goalie, still in the playoffs. Is he ready for NHL or he is going to be a Marlie next year?

He will suit up for the Marlies next year and we will then have an idea how good he really is.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
DXFlyers said:
How decent is this kid. WJC Gold Goalie, still in the playoffs. Is he ready for NHL or he is going to be a Marlie next year?

He'll start the year as a Marlie IMO. Assuming the Leafs don't bugger up his development, I see him in the NHL sometime in 2007. I think his upside is a #1 goalie and top 10 in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->