Potential OHL Expansion Locations

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Where would a Burlington team play?

Burlington Mall has been mentioned as a possible sight. I’m not sure what the long term plans are for the Mall; it definitely older but someone has recently sunk quite a bit of money into renovating some of the stores. A Winners has just been put in there.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Burlington Mall has been mentioned as a possible sight. I’m not sure what the long term plans are for the Mall; it definitely older but someone has recently sunk quite a bit of money into renovating some of the stores. A Winners has just been put in there.

I've seen that site mentioned here before. It doesn't make sense to me. You're right, a lot of $$ has been sunk into upgrading the Mall. It's a big piece of real estate. Is there a link online somewhere that talks about the Mall as a potential arena site?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I've seen that site mentioned here before. It doesn't make sense to me. You're right, a lot of $$ has been sunk into upgrading the Mall. It's a big piece of real estate. Is there a link online somewhere that talks about the Mall as a potential arena site?
Never seen this mall and it does seem they are trying to revitalize it. Would there be enough of vacant building footprint or land to do what Guelph did with the Sleeman Centre within the mall?

Count me in for being in favour of Brantford if they could get an arena.
One city that is totally booming that I don't recall seeing mentioned (maybe it has) but once again they have an arena issue......Woodstock.
Imagine having a OHL power base of London, Brantford, Woodstock, Kitchener, Guelph and Hamilton?

Otto

Never seen this mall and it does seem they are trying to revitalize it. Would there be enough of vacant building footprint or land to do what Guelph did with the Sleeman Centre within the mall?

Not without eating up a big chunk of the parking lot.

Count me in for being in favour of Brantford if they could get an arena.
One city that is totally booming that I don't recall seeing mentioned (maybe it has) but once again they have an arena issue......Woodstock.
Imagine having a OHL power base of London, Brantford, Woodstock, Kitchener, Guelph and Hamilton?

I'd like Brantford or Woodstock as well. But regarding arenas, this is the major hurdle for any new site. Arena's cannot survive on Junior Hockey alone, so one thing to consider before an arena gets built is what else is it going to be used for? Could there be enough interest in Burlington, Brantford, or Woodstock for events outside of hockey? I don't see it for Brantford or Burlington unless Copps (or whatever it's called now) gets torn down. Woodstock would also have to compete with London & Kitchener for outside events. And with a provincial election looming and our economy the way it is, I just don't see any government funding going into arenas, or the tax payers putting up with it.

What goes on in St. Catharines when there is no hockey or basketball?

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015

I think in the case of Guelph, the arena replaced a vacated bog box store. If that's possible in Burlington, they wouldn't need to eat up parking space.

I'd like Brantford or Woodstock as well. But regarding arenas, this is the major hurdle for any new site. Arena's cannot survive on Junior Hockey alone, so one thing to consider before an arena gets built is what else is it going to be used for? Could there be enough interest in Burlington, Brantford, or Woodstock for events outside of hockey? I don't see it for Brantford or Burlington unless Copps (or whatever it's called now) gets torn down. Woodstock would also have to compete with London & Kitchener for outside events. And with a provincial election looming and our economy the way it is, I just don't see any government funding going into arenas, or the tax payers putting up with it.

In the case of Brantford, their Civic Centre already hosts a fair number of events regularly. Given that a team here would either renovate that arena or replace it, it's safe to say that they would end up with at least the same amount of non-hockey events, if not more, given that they may attract some more events with the allure of a new, bigger facility with better amenities.

three dog night

May 3, 2014

What goes on in St. Catharines when there is no hockey or basketball?
The Meridian Centre has concerts and other events Cirque de Solei is coming in July they hosted Elton John Headly and Jonny Reid this season they also host the FIBA under eighteen American Basketball Championship this year .

Otto

I think in the case of Guelph, the arena replaced a vacated bog box store. If that's possible in Burlington, they wouldn't need to eat up parking space.

I don't believe it's possible. They have already renovated where Target used to be, and they did a great job filling where Eaton's once was. Only large store left is The Bay

In the case of Brantford, their Civic Centre already hosts a fair number of events regularly. Given that a team here would either renovate that arena or replace it, it's safe to say that they would end up with at least the same amount of non-hockey events, if not more, given that they may attract some more events with the allure of a new, bigger facility with better amenities.

Excellent!

the dog

May 16, 2014
i also read that they were looking at lime ridge mall in hamilton

the dog

May 16, 2014

brantford area ice size 190 x 85..... seating 2952 plus 419 standing room 419 ...3371

OHLhockeywatcher

Apr 17, 2018

My cousin is a season ticket holder in Hamilton. He was told by someone that works for the Bulldogs that they had looked into the Burlington Mall location. That was probably the extent of it.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
I know there is talk about Limeridge, but I believe the Mall is planning on a mixed residential and office tower development there. I know that the Bulldogs attendance seems to have improved every year since the move from Belleville, but not by leaps and bounds.

That said, this is also the first deep run Hamilton has had and attendance has been pretty good so far, even during weekday games. I'm sure Andlauer would be willing to stick it out at First Ontario if he is consistently packing the lower bowl, although at that point he'd be London. Apart from that, I haven't heard much on this front as a season ticket holder apart from the team was scouting locations, the city was looking to see if they could get a member of the private sector to build an arena in exchange for management rights to other facilities (like Copps and Hamilton Place) because it's strapped for cash, but nothing concrete from either camp on this front.

As far as expansion locations, I would think Chatham and Cornwall are your two biggest targets. Cornwall so you can get Hamilton out of the East both to their benefit and the benefit of all the other teams in that division (save Oshawa) and Chatham because you can easily drop them into the West or Mid-West with little difficulty.

Last edited:

razor ray

May 8, 2011
What about Pittsburgh. They have the highest NHL TV ratings of any US market. If Crosby were to get involved it might be something special.

Take it for what its worth but I spoke to someone on the board of USA Hockey and they do not want OHL/WHL/Q teams in cites with potential to add Division 1 hockey. I know this sounds like my best friends, sisters, boyfriend, knows this guy, who knows this kid.....

I do, think Pittsburgh would be perfect though....hockey mad city and would make a nice rivalry with Erie. I also highly doubt Pitt adds Division 1 hockey anytime soon.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Razor Ray, I love the idea, but I don't think it would work. I am originally from Johnstown, PA, and I have had Pen's season tickets and Otter's season tickets for the last 17 years. I went to Pitt, and lived in the Burg for 2 years. Pittsburgh has a brand loyalty, much like Toronto. It might be a hard sell. Having said that, I wish that Johnstown would get an OHL franchise. They have a pathetic NAHL team, and they still average nearly 2,000 fans a game. The arena seats 3,900, and would be close to OHL standards. Imagine playing in the barn where Slap Shot was filmed.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Razor Ray, I love the idea, but I don't think it would work. I am originally from Johnstown, PA, and I have had Pen's season tickets and Otter's season tickets for the last 17 years. I went to Pitt, and lived in the Burg for 2 years. Pittsburgh has a brand loyalty, much like Toronto. It might be a hard sell. Having said that, I wish that Johnstown would get an OHL franchise. They have a pathetic NAHL team, and they still average nearly 2,000 fans a game. The arena seats 3,900, and would be close to OHL standards. Imagine playing in the barn where Slap Shot was filmed.
I know that Toledo has a successful ECHL team but if that team ever folded/move the OHL should get right in there.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Take it for what its worth but I spoke to someone on the board of USA Hockey and they do not want OHL/WHL/Q teams in cites with potential to add Division 1 hockey. I know this sounds like my best friends, sisters, boyfriend, knows this guy, who knows this kid.....

I do, think Pittsburgh would be perfect though....hockey mad city and would make a nice rivalry with Erie. I also highly doubt Pitt adds Division 1 hockey anytime soon.

Oddly enough, Pitt is at the top of the rumor mills as one of the next schools to add D1 hockey. Some relatively credible sources have even claimed the Penguins have been working with them to get it off the ground. That said, there is already D1 hockey in Pittsburgh with RMU.

As for the OHL here, I just don't see it. Erie is already on the outer fringe of the league's footprint. Take their travel time and add 2 hours to every destination, and that gives you Pittsburgh's travel burden. The only place to play is the Penguins arena, which is doable if the Penguins are involved (they're running the arena) but I don't know how many people would make the trek downtown for major junior, which most people here don't understand. If there were a suburban option, like anther ice sheet in Cranberry, maybe.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015

I doubt Johnstown would be able to sustain the OHL. I think no matter which league they're in, they're at about the top of their potential attendance. Cool as it would be, I can't see them grabbing another thousand per game to stay viable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad