Potential OHL Expansion Locations

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I got my number from the City of Traverse City's website. About Traverse City | City of Traverse City

"...While Traverse City’s official population is 14,572, and a daytime population of more than twice the official population, it is the hub of a Micropolitan Statistical Area of 143,372."
I guessing that they're considering the "Micropolitan Statistical Area" to stretch from Petoskey to Kalkaska to Frankfort and back.

Hey, I acknowledge that there are a lot more reasons why it will never happen than there are reasons why it would. I'm just saying that it's a shame, because if it were sustainable, it would be a great spot for something like the OHL.
Of course it is not the right season, but they say on any given summer day, 100,000 to 150,000 people are in Traverse City. Has anyone mentioned the border city of Port Huron, MI? 3,300 seat arena, but just across the Blue Water Bridge from Sarnia. Former IHL City with like s of hockey tradition.

StingDrone

Sep 21, 2017
topof106.tumblr.com
Of course it is not the right season, but they say on any given summer day, 100,000 to 150,000 people are in Traverse City. Has anyone mentioned the border city of Port Huron, MI? 3,300 seat arena, but just across the Blue Water Bridge from Sarnia. Former IHL City with like s of hockey tradition.
There is no way the OHL would consider McMorran Arena for an OHL team. Back in the 90s there was talk of either bringing an expansion team or relocating at team to PH. The renovations needed would have been impossible. There was no way they could have added the 700+ seats needed to meet the 4000 seat minimum to the end sections as the arena is wedged between the pavillion and theater. The ice surface size (185' x 85') was also a problem with the OHL. Basically, the arena would have had to be torn down and rebuilt facing north/ south rather than the current east/west to make it work at that location. That would have also taken away most of the parking. So cross Port Huron off any potential expansion/relocation list

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
There is no way the OHL would consider McMorran Arena for an OHL team. Back in the 90s there was talk of either bringing an expansion team or relocating at team to PH. The renovations needed would have been impossible. There was no way they could have added the 700+ seats needed to meet the 4000 seat minimum to the end sections as the arena is wedged between the pavillion and theater. The ice surface size (185' x 85') was also a problem with the OHL. Basically, the arena would have had to be torn down and rebuilt facing north/ south rather than the current east/west to make it work at that location. That would have also taken away most of the parking. So cross Port Huron off any potential expansion/relocation list
It was a shot in the dark. To bad though. I loved watching games at McMorran.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I've often wondered how we can see Rouyn-Noranda and Val D'Or be successful in the QMJHL but Timmins, a larger community than both Quebec cities, never gets any serious OHL consideration. I do know the arena situation in Timmins (a replacement for McIntyre will come at some point) but even if there were a shiny new 3,500 seat arena I still don't think there would be any serious overtures about adding an OHL team there, and I'm wondering why people think that is.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I've often wondered how we can see Rouyn-Noranda and Val D'Or be successful in the QMJHL but Timmins, a larger community than both Quebec cities, never gets any serious OHL consideration. I do know the arena situation in Timmins (a replacement for McIntyre will come at some point) but even if there were a shiny new 3,500 seat arena I still don't think there would be any serious overtures about adding an OHL team there, and I'm wondering why people think that is.
Same situation with Thunder Bay, Timmins is way too far out of the way making travel horrendous for many teams...would make for an interesting division if SSM, Sudbury, North Bay, Timmins and Thunder Bay were all grouped into one though..

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Same situation with Thunder Bay, Timmins is way too far out of the way making travel horrendous for many teams...would make for an interesting division if SSM, Sudbury, North Bay, Timmins and Thunder Bay were all grouped into one though..

I doubt that Timmins' travel schedule would be significantly worse than that of Sault Ste. Marie.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Wow...just mapped out Timmins. Makes my Traverse City suggestion look reasonable as far as travel goes. That's WAY up there.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
It’s amazing how spoiled the OHL is if travel is the predominant concern against a non-Thunder Bay market getting a team.

Yes, Timmins is way up there lol, but go look at Prince George in the WHL; their closest team is 5+ hours away. Timmins is the same distance north as Rouyn-Norand and Val D’Or. Those two teams have to travel to Sydney, Nova Scotia to play games. That makes a trip from Timmins to Erie look like a breeze.

I’m not advocating for Timmins by any means, but I really don’t accept increased travel as a reasonable excuse for opposing any potential OHL market not named TBay

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010
If Timmins built a new rink I think the market could work. There population in 2016 was just over 41k which is ten thousand less than North Bay and 20 thousand more than Owen Sound.

The only issue would be attracting talent but with a new barn and a competitive team it could work, much like what were seeing in Sault Ste. Marie right now.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Parents wouldn't want to send their boys to Timmins because they wouldn't want to have to drive to Timmins every other weekend to see them play. Don't underestimate that factor.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
that rationale could be used for any OHL city though
No. A family that lives in southern Ontario could send their kid to any one of 10-12 teams and not have to worry about driving more than a couple hours to see all of his home games and most of his away games, also. You can't deny that is a preferable situation for those families.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
that rationale could be used for any OHL city though

Yes, I mean technically you could have family in Dryden who playing in the OHL would be a problem, but realistically, this isn't really a problem for Guelph, Hamilton, Mississauga, Oshawa or Kitchener. 70% of the population of Ontario is in the Greater Golden Horseshoe area (which you can drive from end to end in 3 hours) those teams should (in theory) have a major recruiting advantage over other teams.

It's very clear Kitchener does, as does London (who closely borders the region) and I would argue Oshawa tends to be a contender more often then not. Hamilton has just entered the league, so it's hard to say, Guelph is constantly overshadowed by London and Kitchener in division play and Mississauga is a strange beast.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
No. A family that lives in southern Ontario could send their kid to any one of 10-12 teams and not have to worry about driving more than a couple hours to see all of his home games and most of his away games, also. You can't deny that is a preferable situation for those families.
I suppose...while it is the preferred situations, parents need to learn to let go and let their kids play wherever they're drafted and not put up a stink if they're drafted by a team that's 'too far of a drive'

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I suppose...while it is the preferred situations, parents need to learn to let go and let their kids play wherever they're drafted and not put up a stink if they're drafted by a team that's 'too far of a drive'

Good luck with that in this day and age. I hate when players don't want to report but that has been happening for decades now. Lindros and Graves are two names I remember. Both did the same when they were drafted by the NHL as well.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Any word on a arena in Hamilton? I heard a fan talking about it while attending a game, admittingly a road game for me. Hamilton would be a top notch OHL city, just need the right arena. Look how Niagra has been doing since they opened the Meridian.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Any word on a arena in Hamilton? I heard a fan talking about it while attending a game, admittingly a road game for me. Hamilton would be a top notch OHL city, just need the right arena. Look how Niagra has been doing since they opened the Meridian.

Nope, and still no lease renewal talks either--even though they are selling 2018-19 season tickets already. Of course, whether this lasts depends on how Andlauer and the city of Hamilton negotiate--it's March 7th and STILL no talk on either side on a lease extension or a new arena. Same in Mississauga--and you can imagine David Branch and the 18 other owners want some answers soon regarding where these Toronto-based teams are headed..

Andlauer has already basically said he wants an arena plan NOW. Not later.. he's given Hamilton 3 years to resolve this when he moved the Bulls to Hamilton, saying FirstOntario Centre's not suitable for the OHL, and nothing has happened.. and the Bulldogs lease expires after this year's playoffs.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Word here in Missy is a new lease and a new name on the Hershey Centre. The term of the lease will be short term for now. I am not worried about Missy for now, long term is another matter though.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I doubt that Timmins' travel schedule would be significantly worse than that of Sault Ste. Marie.
So I was curious on how actually Soo's travel schedule compares to other teams travel schedule? I did a game by game comparison of Soo"s schedule compared to Windsor's schedule - they are in the same division and Windsor is my supported team.
So I took into account for example if the Soo traveled to Saginaw for a game on a Wednesday they would get travel distance from the Soo to Saginaw and then travel distance home. If the Soo traveled to Windsor, then to London and for the 3rd game to Sarnia and then home, distances between all trips would be counted. Same for Windsor of course. One difference I did notice was Windsor does a lot more weekend trips for example home on Thursday, in Kitchener Friday and then home on Sunday. They would have a to/back from Kitchener counted. Windsor only had 2 weekends where they did not travel at some point, Soo had 9 weekends they did not travel - that in itself is a factor I think no one considered - able to be home that many weekends with no travel has to ease the stress of the schedule.
So yes Soo does travel farther - Taking in travel from this years schedule they traveled 20,226 KM's ( on a bus yikes). Windsor traveled 15,909 KM's ( again on a bus). Doing the math Soo traveled 4,317 more than Windsor, seems like a lot until you look at it a little more. This is spread over 6 months. Bus travels 100 KM's per hour ( we all know buses go faster but we will use the speed limit for a number). It then shows the Soo spent 43 hours more on a bus than Windsor. Spread that over 6 months and it shows that the Soo spend approx 7 hours a month more on the bus. Considering the 9 weekends at home I don't think there is really that much of a difference but easy to say from my chair when I'm not the one riding the bus. Not really looking to argue over this it was only my thought on what would happen if teams from Timmins, Ohio, Thunder Bay were brought into the league? I'm not really seeing this as something that could not be scheduled around so moving struggling teams to one of these locations is not as big of reach as you think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad