Potential of Spezza vs. Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
With all of these comparison threads around I wanted to ask around for an opinion on who will be the better all around player between the 2 most highly touted 2nd overall selections in recent memory.
Who will be better offensively and on D?
What are each guys max NHL scoring potential and who does Malkin most resemble in today's NHL?
Would you trade one for the other straight up?
Will either match Heatly in terms of scoting?
Let the debate begin!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The sens are trying to win the cup right now so no I dont see them making this trade. I also believe Spezza will be the better player. I think he is going to score in the 70 to 90 point area this coming nhl season. Murray is on record saying he will play first line pp which should boost his stats tremendously.

Hockeycanada*

Spezza has played in the NHL and has played very well, while Malkin hasn't played a game in the league so it's really hard to compare these two.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Slick Nick said:
Malkin is magic. Spezza dosen't have 1/100 of Malkin's hockey sens, and let's not talk about the hands... Malkin by a mile. :propeller
thats just silly. how can back that one up? spezza has already shown what he can do in the pros, malkin hasnt. im not saying malking cant be better, i think its an interesting comparison actually, but to say spezza lacks malkins sense is just wrong. how would you know?
and the hands? ive seen spezza school nhl dmen with his hands - his are amongst the best in the league already - its the one thing that never gets questioned about him....malkins that much better, huh?

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
This is stupid to compare Spezza and Malkin. Even Crosby is not in the same league with Malkin. Malkin is even better then Ovechkin. And could be put in the same list as

Bobrov
Kharlamov
Bure
Malkin

The superstars of the superstars

The canadian list as we know is

Lemieux
Gretzky
Howe
Grosby?
Big question mark. And you compare him to Malkin. Actualy Malkin is the next big thing in NHL not Crosby.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
*checks his computer to make sure hallucinogens aren't popping out of his PC*

Wow... I really AM reading these remarks!

Or is this the all sarcasm thread?

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
For some reason a lot of Russians on this site (or maybe always the same, but they're loud like there's a lot of them) speculate wildly about the worth of Russian players, about how much Frolov is God, Kovalev was better than Mario, and now "Russian player is God II: the Malkin" is coming to threads near you.

Clutch Mediocrity

May 8, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
www.4thegame.com
Malkin the next big thing in the NHL? Surely his agent doesn't think so if he advised him to come over next year when he'll face weaker competition for the Calder.

Right now Spezza > Malkin and that's a fact. But given their age difference, not surprising at all. The future is up for the debate, but I think Spetzky will be better in almost all aspects of the game. Really, I see Malkin as a slightly inferior version of Spezza. And that's still great. That's elite is what it is if both players fullfill their potential.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Without having played one NHL game, Malkin has not proven that he is in the same league as Spezza, let alone better. I hear that he has tremendous potential and could be a better player down the road.

Lets put it this way. If Muckler was offered Malkin for Spezza straight up, the answer would be "No thanks". If CP was offered Spezza for Malkin, I am willing to bet my bottom dollar that he would jump all over this deal.

Pittsburgh fans can enjoy his services in the RSL this season. Don't feel too bad though, as Ottawa fans are facing similar conundrum with Kaigorodov (Malkin's teammate and arguably the second best player in RSL behind Datsyuk last season).

Last edited:

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
armani said:
Lets put it this way. If Muckler was offered Malkin for Spezza straight up, the answer would be "No thanks". If CP was offered Spezza for Malkin, I am willing to bet my bottom dollar that he would jump all over this deal

Not sure I'd do that. Malkin's overall game is reputed to be better than that of Spezza's, and while Spezza has already proven himself in the league, I'll take my chances with the bigger fish.

SubNova

This is like Kovy vs. Spezza few years back. When everyone and their mom was saying Kovy suck and Spezza should be number one pick, that Spezza would be better. Why don’t you guys go reread what you were spewing out left and right! The point is where is Spezza now compared to Kovy, looks like he is taking **** on the 3rd line and riding the big wooden bench.

Malkin will be the same caliber player as Kovy and AO.
Oh yeah and Crosby is the next ONE, and by the next one I mean Alexandre Daigle, QMJHL stats very close. :teach:

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
SubNova said:
This is like Kovy vs. Spezza few years back. When everyone and their mom was saying Kovy suck and Spezza should be number one pick, that Spezza would be better. Why don?t you guys go reread what you were spewing out left and right! The point is where is Spezza now compared to Kovy, looks like he is taking **** on the 3rd line and riding the big wooden bench.

You're completely disregarding the fact that Kovalchuk was drafted by a team who (at the time) had like zero top end talent, whereas Ottawa was among the deepest teams in the league. If Atlanta called Spezza's name at the podium that day, he'd have been their #1 centre for the past few seasons, while Kovalchuk would be "riding the big wooden bench" in Ottawa.

SubNova

And by no top end talent you mean Heatley. I don’t buy that load of crap where everyone says “well he didn’t get a chance to play, our team has a lot of talentâ€. If you get even few min. of ice time you can show that you deserve more, even if he showed that he can play on the 2nd line like Kovy did his 1st year that would be better. But its obvious that he didn’t show that he could handle 2nd line thus 3rd line. If you’re good you will show it.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
SubNova said:
And by no top end talent you mean Heatley. I don?t buy that load of crap where everyone says ?well he didn?t get a chance to play, our team has a lot of talent?. If you get even few min. of ice time you can show that you deserve more, even if he showed that he can play on the 2nd line like Kovy did his 1st year that would be better. But its obvious that he didn?t show that he could handle 2nd line thus 3rd line. If you?re good you will show it.

Oh yeah, they had Heatley. I guess you're right on that one, one rookie winger is more than enough top end talent for any team!

I have trouble believing that Kovalchuk would have earned any sort of significant icetime under Jacques Martin. Both him and Spezza couldn't/can't play defense to save their life. When you play for Jacques Martin, that's exactly the kind of thing that gets you benched, even scratched.

This is not as black and white as you are making it out to be.

SubNova

Alexander Daigle GP: 53 Pts: 137
Crosby GP:62 Pts: 168

I think thats close, anyone else ? :teach:

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
pooler99 said:
Spezza will do 60-70 pts Malkin may do 60-70 pts one day is that simple enough this way

Why always the numbers with you guys?
No doubt in my mind that Lemieux is on the same lavel as Kharlamov, who could simply along dominate the games. No one after mario and valery could do that. And many people compared Valery to Lafleur. Oh dear god!
Gretzky used his linemates and his intuition for the game. But with all the numbers Gretzky produced, no one in the right mind would say he was more talented then mario. I care less about the points, I like to watch magic. And Malkin is as magnificent as Lemieux. Crosby needs to learn to feel the game at high speeds. Malkin is doing it at top flight for the third year in a row. At the end you pay to watch performance.

SubNova

I love the hype every year, its just sad your hearts get crushed every year.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
And Kharlamov I believe is the only second player and second euro in the hall of fame after that guy.......Tretyak. It says it all. I also believe that after that, there will be Fetisov next year and that's about it, utill Malkin will enter.
Are there any other euros in the hall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->