Potential NHL undrafted free agents

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
When I was writing for Hockey's Future there always seemed to be a handful of these guys that I'd have to cover because they seemed to mature into prospects after their draft eligibility had passed.

One such player I am curious about is Teemu Turunen of HPK. It seems he's having a pretty good season and that is one of the surprise teams of Liiga.

Does he have any NHL potential and are there other players in that age range who I should watch as potentially being signed this summer?

Orvelo

Jul 3, 2015
When I was writing for Hockey's Future there always seemed to be a handful of these guys that I'd have to cover because they seemed to mature into prospects after their draft eligibility had passed.

One such player I am curious about is Teemu Turunen of HPK. It seems he's having a pretty good season and that is one of the surprise teams of Liiga.

Does he have any NHL potential and are there other players in that age range who I should watch as potentially being signed this summer?

He will absolutely not get signed.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Turunen is only a rookie and doesn't really have any qualities to would make him worth signing this season. Maybe in a couple of years.

LW Henrik Haapala
C Antti Suomela
LW Erik Thorell
LD Jesse Virtanen
RW Sebastian Repo

These are some young players who have been playing well and there might be some interest on them. No real standouts and surefire NHL players this year though. Haapala is good but his size might be an issue for NHL.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Turunen is only a rookie and doesn't really have any qualities to would make him worth signing this season. Maybe in a couple of years.

LW Henrik Haapala
C Antti Suomela
LW Erik Thorell
LD Jesse Virtanen
RW Sebastian Repo

These are some young players who have been playing well and there might be some interest on them. No real standouts and surefire NHL players this year though. Haapala is good but his size might be an issue for NHL.

Just revisiting this. Repo drafted and then Suomela was recently signed.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Arttu Ruotsalainen is making a break through in Liiga. He was not supposed to be a 1st line center this year, but is now the MVP of Ilves and made a debut in the national team as well. He is playing the biggest minutes amongst all the forwards in Liiga (20:58 average) - PP, kills penalties, takes the most difficult faceoffs etc. despite his small frame.

Here is his hat trick from last night´s game.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Op mentioned Turunen two tears ago and he is now one of top players on Liiga

Kiekkofani

Mar 10, 2019

Pay attention to Arttu which mentioned above and his line mate Eemeli Suomi who is just a bit over 20 and youngest Captain in his Ilves team history. Eemeli made national team entry last spring and has continued favorable development like Arttu. Both are mentally strong, high scores and tackles too.

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
Otto Leskinen belongs this thread. He was on habs summer camp last year and had an awesome season in Liiga.

Otto Leskinen at eliteprospects.com

TJ Toni Saksman said that two or three players are leaving to NHL and I think he meant Texier, Luostarinen and Leskinen

I love Otto Leskinen

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
The rumour says that many teams have been after Ruotsalainen and that the Sabres would be the most likely team next year.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Might be the best UFA class from Finland in a while

Kivihalme
Hakanpää
V.Leskinen
O.Leskinen
Palve
Ruotsalainen
Turunen
Kaski
Suomi?
Nikkilä?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
The rumour says that many teams have been after Ruotsalainen and that the Sabres would be the most likely team next year.

I often listen to a radio show out of Buffalo called The Instigators - which is hosted by former NHL players Andrew Peters and Craig Rivet (thus the name of the show.)

Anyway, in discussing the Sabres they frequently talk about the need for a true second line center yet they never mention Arttu.

Judging by his numbers he has done well in Liiga. And with him signed to an ELC it would seem the Sabres have interest in bringing him over.

Is Ruotsolainen ready to make the jump to the NHL and how would his presence improve the Sabres?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Sebastian Repo, Lukko Rauma

Was released by the Panthers in December while playing for their AHL affiliate but had 23 points in 28 Liiga games after going back to Finland.

I remember opinions varied widely on Repo when he was in A juniors. He turns 24 in June. Is there a chance we see him back in the NHL with another club or is his game more suited to either Liiga or the KHL?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
27 year old, 6 foot 3 goalie Rasmus Reijola.
Never heard before today, didn't even realize that he has had such a bizarre start to the season.

3 starts, 3 wins, 3 so's....
only 55 saves thou.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
@Tormentor mentioned KalPa defenseman Joona Riekkinen as a possible sleeper pick prior to the 2018 NHL Draft. I just noticed he has six points in nine games to start the season as a 21-year-old.

Is he worth watching or is his game more suited to Liiga?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Riekkinen is one of the more versatile players out there, but other than that I'm not sure what would elevate him above the competition. I would take him as my 7th defenseman / 13th forward, but whether that's enough for a career is another question.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
The Stars drafted Stenqvist but never signed him.

What in his game makes you think he could be a prospect to play in the NHL?

President of Hockey

Aug 13, 2016
Is Ruotsalainen's linemate Eemeli Suomi someone who might be interesting for NHL teams or is he only a product of Ruotsalainen's good play?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Are we talking about only Finnish players? Or all players form Liiga?

Kristian Pospisil looks promising. Unfortunately, he is injured for some time. But started well.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Are we talking about only Finnish players? Or all players form Liiga?

Kristian Pospisil looks promising. Unfortunately, he is injured for some time. But started well.

Original posted referred to any players playing in Finland - as they would have been considered prospects in Finland based on HF criteria at the time. Interesting that a number of players from both the Czech Republic and Slovakia have come up through Finnish juniors in the past few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->