Potential New Arena in Niagara Falls NY

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Niagara Falls NY announced that they're funding a feasibility study on a new arena in the city. No mention about an ice plant or potential tenants yet, but you'd have to imagine they'd have hockey on the radar. And as leagues go, you'd have to imagine the OHL would be the most likely candidate if this came to fruition.

I presume this would be inside the Ice Dogs' current protected market, but could we see this become a relocation target for the OHL? It would fit the footprint well and finally give the league a team in New York state.

http://news.wbfo.org/post/niagara-falls-allocates-50000-study-possible-future-arena

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Niagara Falls NY announced that they're funding a feasibility study on a new arena in the city. No mention about an ice plant or potential tenants yet, but you'd have to imagine they'd have hockey on the radar. And as leagues go, you'd have to imagine the OHL would be the most likely candidate if this came to fruition.

I presume this would be inside the Ice Dogs' current protected market, but could we see this become a relocation target for the OHL? It would fit the footprint well and finally give the league a team in New York state.

http://news.wbfo.org/post/niagara-falls-allocates-50000-study-possible-future-arena

No chance. If NY gets another OHL team, it'll be in Buffalo most likely.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015

Another? There aren't any in NY now...

Care to elaborate on why there's "no chance"? I agree that Buffalo would be a good spot as well, but I don't see how that in itself would rule out Niagara Falls NY (which is itself considered part of the Buffalo metro area).

Last edited:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

The most likely would be a Nahl team.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
The most likely would be a Nahl team.

I wouldn't rule out the NAHL, ECHL, FHL, OJHL, GOJHL, or heck even the AHL. But the OHL would likely be the clearest target both in terms of quality and foot print. After all, the area has been linked to OHL attempts before, namely in the Tonawanda area, that never quite got off the ground. The only hiccup is that the Ice Dogs slid into the fringe of the territory since that time.

But I can't imagine anything that makes the NAHL the most likely, should this even get off the ground. Possible, of course, but surely the OHL would be the leading candidate.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
The Calgary Hitmen and Edmonton Oil Kings beg to differ...

People love to ignore those precedents when bringing up Buffalo for the OHL. I'd bet Pegula has looked into it if nothing else. A team that primarily just operates with the lower bowl of Key Bank Arena could be pretty successful, should a franchise be up for relocation.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
People love to ignore those precedents when bringing up Buffalo for the OHL. I'd bet Pegula has looked into it if nothing else. A team that primarily just operates with the lower bowl of Key Bank Arena could be pretty successful, should a franchise be up for relocation.

And that's possible after 2017/18 when the Pegulas are allowed to own an OHL team (they're currently restricted due to NFL rules limiting them for 4 years).. with the Missisauga Steelheads the most likely candidate to go to Buffalo..

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
And that's possible after 2017/18 when the Pegulas are allowed to own an OHL team (they're currently restricted due to NFL rules limiting them for 4 years).. with the Missisauga Steelheads the most likely candidate to go to Buffalo..

I've never heard of such a rule and can't seem to find any information to corroborate that. The only rule that seems to exist is that if an NFL owner has a controlling interest in another sports franchise, it must be in the same market or a neutral market (as in, no NFL).

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010

At this point both the OHL and the Erie Otters would be happy to have a team in New York state. With questions surrounding the future of the Trout, I wouldn't be surprised if they slid into Niagara Falls if a new arena is built. Would develop an even bigger rivalry with the Ice Dogs.

The league could also look to expansion and create 3 divisions of 7 teams. Would be a solid opportunity to solve alignment issues since the Belleville Bulls relocation to Hamilton.

Gr8northscout

Aug 29, 2012
Ontario
At this point both the OHL and the Erie Otters would be happy to have a team in New York state. With questions surrounding the future of the Trout, I wouldn't be surprised if they slid into Niagara Falls if a new arena is built. Would develop an even bigger rivalry with the Ice Dogs.

The league could also look to expansion and create 3 divisions of 7 teams. Would be a solid opportunity to solve alignment issues since the Belleville Bulls relocation to Hamilton.

note to self-great idea for another thread

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
This is interesting. Don't want to see relocation, I think most teams should be okay where they are now (Mississauga is a bit of a concern with attendance issues and I'm sure rumors about Erie will kick up when their lease is close to expiring). Expansion could be an option.

Three divisions of 7 is a cool idea, not quite sure how to make that work though. Here's a possible idea.

West: Flint, Kitchener, London, Saginaw, Sarnia, Sault Ste. Marie, Windsor
Central: Erie, Guelph, Hamilton, Niagara, Niagara Falls, Mississauga, Owen Sound
Northeast: Barrie, Kingston, North Bay, Oshawa, Ottawa, Peterborough, Sudbury

Playoffs could be 1-16.

For those interested, there is an active OHL realignment thread, just hasn't been a post in a while: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1857849&page=16

For fans in Erie it would be nice to have a place to easily see road games. Niagara, ON is over the border, which can be a pain; and Saginaw/Flint are quite far despite being in the US.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
...For fans in Erie it would be nice to have a place to easily see road games. Niagara, ON is over the border, which can be a pain; and Saginaw/Flint are quite far despite being in the US.

And, the quickest route is to go through Canada, meaning that you've got two border crossings.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
This is interesting. Don't want to see relocation, I think most teams should be okay where they are now (Mississauga is a bit of a concern with attendance issues and I'm sure rumors about Erie will kick up when their lease is close to expiring). Expansion could be an option.

Three divisions of 7 is a cool idea, not quite sure how to make that work though. Here's a possible idea.

West: Flint, Kitchener, London, Saginaw, Sarnia, Sault Ste. Marie, Windsor
Central: Erie, Guelph, Hamilton, Niagara, Niagara Falls, Mississauga, Owen Sound
Northeast: Barrie, Kingston, North Bay, Oshawa, Ottawa, Peterborough, Sudbury

Playoffs could be 1-16.

For those interested, there is an active OHL realignment thread, just hasn't been a post in a while: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1857849&page=16

For fans in Erie it would be nice to have a place to easily see road games. Niagara, ON is over the border, which can be a pain; and Saginaw/Flint are quite far despite being in the US.

If the league opens the door to expansion I think it would be for more then one team maybe they go to a 24 team league Niagara/Cornwall/Chatham/Buffalo.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Would find it unlikely that NY state would be considered a likely target for a potential 20th or 21st OHL club for a few different reasons.
Here's why #1 the Niagara Ice Dogs are or would be considered to be 1 club in that general location not to also imagine that the Hamilton Bulldogs and Erie Otters would have something to say about that due to that all those clubs are or would be around the Canadian/ NY State borders. However if a team like the Steelheads who would be always considered a potential relocation hot name in the league to move I'd would say that the 401 corridor clubs with exception to the Generals in Oshawa would be on consideration to be on the move in the next 5-10 years although I could see Hamilton moving into the Central at some point in the future

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Would find it unlikely that NY state would be considered a likely target for a potential 20th or 21st OHL club for a few different reasons.
Here's why #1 the Niagara Ice Dogs are or would be considered to be 1 club in that general location not to also imagine that the Hamilton Bulldogs and Erie Otters would have something to say about that due to that all those clubs are or would be around the Canadian/ NY State borders. However if a team like the Steelheads who would be always considered a potential relocation hot name in the league to move I'd would say that the 401 corridor clubs with exception to the Generals in Oshawa would be on consideration to be on the move in the next 5-10 years although I could see Hamilton moving into the Central at some point in the future

I already noted that it would likely be an infringement on the Ice Dogs' territory. But there's precedent to clubs waiving that when it they feel that they would acquire a good travel partner without sacrificing much fanbase. That could be the case here, considering there is an international border involved. How many people in Niagara Falls NY, Tonawanda, Grand Island, etc. drive up to St. Catherine's for OHL hockey on a regular basis? It's the same distance to see the NHL in Buffalo, but the Sabres are minus an annoying border crossing. So the Icedogs aren't likely to lose many fans, but they gain a division rival that's cheap to go to.

That said, they might not even have any rights to that area that need to be waived. I have no idea why you think Erie and Hamilton would see this as anything but a good idea. Hamilton isn't even close, with the Ice Dogs plopped down right in between, and Erie is TWO HOURS away. They would both welcome a team in Niagara Falls NY with open arms, especially Erie.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I already noted that it would likely be an infringement on the Ice Dogs' territory. But there's precedent to clubs waiving that when it they feel that they would acquire a good travel partner without sacrificing much fanbase. That could be the case here, considering there is an international border involved. How many people in Niagara Falls NY, Tonawanda, Grand Island, etc. drive up to St. Catherine's for OHL hockey on a regular basis? It's the same distance to see the NHL in Buffalo, but the Sabres are minus an annoying border crossing. So the Icedogs aren't likely to lose many fans, but they gain a division rival that's cheap to go to.

That said, they might not even have any rights to that area that need to be waived. I have no idea why you think Erie and Hamilton would see this as anything but a good idea. Hamilton isn't even close, with the Ice Dogs plopped down right in between, and Erie is TWO HOURS away. They would both welcome a team in Niagara Falls NY with open arms, especially Erie.
I remember reading somewhere that the league had an interest in placing a franchise in New York state but I thought the focus was more on the eastern part of the state - Albany/Syracuse area - needed/wanted to draw some interest from that part of the US.

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010
I remember reading somewhere that the league had an interest in placing a franchise in New York state but I thought the focus was more on the eastern part of the state - Albany/Syracuse area - needed/wanted to draw some interest from that part of the US.

At this point I think the league just wants to get into New York state... Depending on what the Vancouver Canucks decide to do with their AHL team, Utica could become an option or even Albany with the Devils moving to Binghamton.

Would make for a long drive for a lot of teams though if they chose the eastern part of the state instead of Niagara Falls or Buffalo.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
You can take Chatham off that list, economically they could never support it there.

maldo

Feb 21, 2012
You can take Chatham off that list, economically they could never support it there.

Niagara Falls NY? Forget it. you wont get 1000 people out, the city is depressed,unemployment,all boarded buildings,high crime...who would have thought of such a ludicrous location! All the attractions are across the bridge in NF,Ontario and they lost major junior hockey years ago !

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

I would love to see a plot of each teams fan base and the distance travelled from home to the rink. I know there's a few on here that travel a great distance (one fan from Erie sticks out) and in London we've got some that travel from St Thomas. But overall I'd like to know if the "territory" claim has merit

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I would love to see a plot of each teams fan base and the distance travelled from home to the rink. I know there's a few on here that travel a great distance (one fan from Erie sticks out) and in London we've got some that travel from St Thomas. But overall I'd like to know if the "territory" claim has merit

I agree with this. My suspicions are that there would not be any significant detriment to placing a team in a nearby market to an existing one. Actually, in many I think there would be benefits (I had this discussion about a year ago with respect to Brantford). Territorial rights are much less of an issue in junior hockey than they are in the NHL IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad