Potential for MacEwan

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Zack MacEwan kind of flying under the radar in the Canucks prospect pool....had a solid first season in Utica with 33 points. From all reports skating has improved dramatically and was used in all key situations by Cull down the stretch. Canucks Army even issuing a 'mea culpa' about him as a prospect. So what are his chances for permanent employment with the Canucks?

Reactions: jeromemorrow

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Looked good during young stars and the preseason, good energy guy. Nothing spectacular, could be similar to Archibald I suppose. Ceiling is a depth player.

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Similar to Archibald in that they're both hockey players perhaps.

Also, they're very close in height and weight, both have skating issues, and both spent an over-age season in junior. Both were undrafted. MacEwan had 74 points in his final season in the Q. Archibald had 66 p0ints in his final season in the OHL. "Dobber Prospects" sees MacEwan's potential as "a bottom six physical winger."

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Zack MacEwan kind of flying under the radar in the Canucks prospect pool....had a solid first season in Utica with 33 points. From all reports skating has improved dramatically and was used in all key situations by Cull down the stretch. Canucks Army even issuing a 'mea culpa' about him as a prospect. So what are his chances for permanent employment with the Canucks?

Not getting any better as long as people misspell his name. ;)

Reactions: Tighthead

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Also, they're very close in height and weight, both have skating issues, and both spent an over-age season in junior. Both were undrafted. MacEwan had 74 points in his final season in the Q. Archibald had 66 p0ints in his final season in the OHL. "Dobber Prospects" sees MacEwan's potential as "a bottom six physical winger."

Archibald had 41 goals in his last season in the OHL and more in the playoffs. I think McEwen is a better skater and better puckhandler and distributor but Archibald is a better goalscorer. As a prospect, MacEwen is far ahead of Archibald at the same point.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
This kid does not get talked about enough. But soon enough, we will be talking about him, regularly

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Archibald had 41 goals in his last season in the OHL and more in the playoffs. I think McEwen is a better skater and better puckhandler and distributor but Archibald is a better goalscorer. As a prospect, MacEwen is far ahead of Archibald at the same point.

That's fair. At the same point that MacEwen was having a decent rookie AHL season, Archibald was in the ECHL.

As a projection, however, I think Archibald is a reasonable comparable. I hope that MacEwen will turn out to be a good 4th line guy for the Canucks, but I think there's a good chance he'll remain marginal, with a call-up now and then, just like Archibald.

Canucks Army has MacEwen as the organizations 13th ranked prospect. Would you have him higher?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

I think Zack MacEwan will be the next Alex Ovechkin quite frankly.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Gaunce and Archibald might be good comparables but his ceiling could also be higher, particularly if they move him back into the middle.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That's fair. At the same point that MacEwen was having a decent rookie AHL season, Archibald was in the ECHL.

As a projection, however, I think Archibald is a reasonable comparable. I hope that MacEwen will turn out to be a good 4th line guy for the Canucks, but I think there's a good chance he'll remain marginal, with a call-up now and then, just like Archibald.

I agree. To me comparables are kind of meaningless. I mean who is Archibald? An AHL lifer? Tweener? NHL 4th line winger?

Canucks Army has MacEwen as the organizations 13th ranked prospect. Would you have him higher?

I think it's about right. I would rank him higher than Chatfield. But that ranking isn't based on likelihood of making the NHL as a regular. If it's about likelihood, I think I do have MacEwen higher. But it's really not relevant. MacEwen needs to continue to progress. He's still a long shot to be an NHL regular in my mind.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I seriously doubt that MacEwen will turn out like Archibald as a player -- he's either going to be way better or way worse.

I absolutely want to give him a few games next year for the hell of it.

Reactions: MS

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
I think MacEwan's a fantastic find by the scouting team. He ceiling is bottom-six forward, with his most likely NHL outcome as a 4th line forward or depth guy, but that's still a great find for a free prospect.

Anytime you uncover a guy with legitimate NHL potential for free, it's a win.

We've seen time and time again how good teams win by developing their bottom of the line forwards at home. Tampa and Chicago are two great examples of this.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I seriously doubt that MacEwen will turn out like Archibald as a player -- he's either going to be way better or way worse.

I absolutely want to give him a few games next year for the hell of it.

Yup.

It's weird to see so many people talk about him as a low-upside bottom-6 guy.

He's a guy with absolutely massive upside. Size/skating/puckhandling combination is unreal. Makes plays that only 1% of NHLers can make. In terms of skills and play style, he's the closest thing I've ever seen to a young Todd Bertuzzi.

But he also didn't play the game at any sort of level or receive any sort of high-level coaching until he was nearly 20 and it shows. Is a glorified pond hockey player. Weak defensively and really needs to improve his motor. Trys to dangle defenders constantly and is a turnover machine. Poor fundamentals. Doesn't use his linemates as well as he should.

The likely outcome is that he's just a frustrating AHLer. But I wouldn't be shocked at all if he put it together and turned into a force and a front-line NHL player. Incredibly intriguing prospect.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Yup.

It's weird to see so many people talk about him as a low-upside bottom-6 guy.

He's a guy with absolutely massive upside. Size/skating/puckhandling combination is unreal. Makes plays that only 1% of NHLers can make. In terms of skills and play style, he's the closest thing I've ever seen to a young Todd Bertuzzi.

But he also didn't play the game at any sort of level or receive any sort of high-level coaching until he was nearly 20 and it shows. Is a glorified pond hockey player. Weak defensively and really needs to improve his motor. Trys to dangle defenders constantly and is a turnover machine. Poor fundamentals. Doesn't use his linemates as well as he should.

The likely outcome is that he's just a frustrating AHLer. But I wouldn't be shocked at all if he put it together and turned into a force and a front-line NHL player. Incredibly intriguing prospect.

"Front line," as in first or second-line player?

I hope that he does indeed put it together as you say he might. How long would you give him before your optimism fades? He's had two years of junior and one year of the AHL -- three years of high-level coaching -- and he's still playing pond hockey.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
"Front line," as in first or second-line player?

I hope that he does indeed put it together as you say he might. How long would you give him before your optimism fades? He's had two years of junior and one year of the AHL -- three years of high-level coaching -- and he's still playing pond hockey.

Yeah, front-line as in first line talent.

He's gone from Jr. B to AHL 2nd liner in 3 years, which is incredible. I don't know whether his development curve will stay as sharp due to his lack of experience or flatten out due to his birthdate. We'll see.

This year will be huge. I want to see him be a point-per-game guy in Utica and start dominating at that level.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah, front-line as in first line talent.

He's gone from Jr. B to AHL 2nd liner in 3 years, which is incredible. I don't know whether his development curve will stay as sharp due to his lack of experience or flatten out due to his birthdate. We'll see.

This year will be huge. I want to see him be a point-per-game guy in Utica and start dominating at that level.
Totally on board with this....when you think of where this kid was two years ago and where he is today, it's night and day. Maybe hea does plateau as a grinder and an AHL-NHL 'tweener, but if he continues his upward trajectory, look out. Big year in Utica coming up....if he improves on last season's numbers, we could see an NHL injury call-up or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad