Potential first rounders from the "Q"

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
If you're going to watch alot of the Mooseheads this year, keep an eye on Jakub Voracek. I haven't seen him play, but it sounds like he's a Marian Hossa type of player, he could score 50 goals this year in his rookie year. Another player from the Mooseheads is Logan MacMillan, he could be a 1st rounder.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
If you're going to watch alot of the Mooseheads this year, keep an eye on Jakub Voracek. I haven't seen him play, but it sounds like he's a Marian Hossa type of player, he could score 50 goals this year in his rookie year. Another player from the Mooseheads is Logan MacMillan, he could be a 1st rounder.

I thought Voracek played last year... :dunno:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I'll be watching Mooseheads games simply because I can. I know about Voracek, but it seems likely he'll go top five. I follow the Coyotes and am more interested in players that could be available when they pick next summer. Thanks for the heads up on MacMillan, though.

PEli*

I'll be watching Mooseheads games simply because I can. I know about Voracek, but it seems likely he'll go top five. I follow the Coyotes and am more interested in players that could be available when they pick next summer. Thanks for the heads up on MacMillan, though.

Lewiston also offer webcasts, I believe. So do Bathurst, Cape Breton and Moncton, I think.

If Lewiston's webcast is anything like last year's during the playoffs, get in early because it doesn't hold more than a few hundred connections.

rt

May 13, 2004
Some other names I've heard are Alex Grant of St. John, Stephen Lund of PEI, and David Skokan of Rimouski.

Can any Q fans tell me anything about these guys?

Any more names out there?

LaLa, I'm looking at you.;)

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
i don't think moncton is doing the webcast this year. they had it last year but i think it was only for the big memorial cup run. also, saint john had one last year but i don't think they are doing it again either :(

cape breton has the games on eastlink which i think use real player...
as far as i know halifax, cape breton and lewiston are the only webcasts this season. i'm pretty sure bathurst doesn't have one... they never have before.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
Some other names I've heard are Alex Grant of St. John, Stephen Lund of PEI, and David Skokan of Rimouski.

IMO Grant is right there, and with the amount of young talented defencemen on that saint john team this year his stock could either go way up or way down. i say odds are it goes up. he had some injury problems last year too that hurt him.

Skokan is extremely skilled but had a pretty piss poor year last year - likely cause of who he had to play with, plus he just came over to NA. he's probably got to win back the critics quite a bit this season but he's surrounded by a megatonne of other young talent on that team - afterall, rimouski had 4 picks in the top 10 of the Q draft or something crazy like that so they aren't hurting for prospects.

i haven't seen a whole lot from lund to make me think he's a first round talent. maybe it's cause of the team he was on last year but he's got a ways to go to get there IMO.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada

I've seen Alex Grant play a couple of times and he impressed me everytime I saw him. It wouldn't surprise me if he was a first rounder if he were to have another season like he did last year and keep developing.

I haven't seen enough of Skokan to tell anything.

Lund had a good season last year for a 16 year old for the Rocket. So far in training camp and the exhibition games he is doing well and seems to have that poise and confidence for a developing defenseman. If you were basing on last season alone, I would have to say no he wouldn't be a first round choice, but if he develops well this season, there is a possibility he could go in the first round. I know there was one early scouting ranking that was done on Sportsnet that had him in the top 10, which IMO was high because if you compare him to Bourdon who went 6th overall, Lund isn't in that same calibre just yet

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
don't forget about David Stich from Saint John, Scott Brannon from Cape Breton and Jan Kolarik from Victoriaville. Stich could be a 1st rounder, Brannon and Kolarik could be 2nd rounders.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
There are a lot of good 2007 eligible players in the Q this year and many of them are Euro's.

Here is how i'd rank them as of now: I listed 33 players, which is a bit above average in terms of the amount that would be picked from the Q

Angelo Esposito - QUE
Jakub Voracek - HAL
Logan MacMillan - HAL
Ruslan Bashkirov - QUE
David Stich - SNB
Jean-Simon Allard - SNF
Olivier Fortier - RIM
Alex Grant - SNB
Kevin Marshall - LEW
Kevin Vielleux - VIC
Marc-Andre Laroche - RIM
Scott Brannon - CAP
Roopertti Martikanenen - MON
Phillipe Garnier - RIM
Stephen Lund - PEI
Jan Kolarik - VIC (late)
Marc-Antoine Desnoyers - RN
Michael Stinziani - GAT
Maxime Maceneaur - RN
Peter Cmorej - PEI (late)
Matthew Pistilli - SHA (late)
Colin Escott - GAT
Roman Bashkirov - QUE
Keven Guerette-Charland - VIC
Yuri Cheremetiev - HAL
Benoit Levesque - PEI
Maxim Gratchev - RIM (late)
Mario Kempe - SNF (late)
David Skokan - RIM (late)
Justin Pender - HAL (late)
Maxime Cliche - PEI
Raphael D'Orso - VDO
Nicola Riopel - MON

rt

May 13, 2004
Thank you very much LaLa, this list will be a great help, until the hype starts picking up to guide me in the wrong direction.:)

One more thing, though. Have you seen enough of MacMillan to give me a brief scouting report? I plan on watching him pretty soon, but I wonder what I should be looking for. Thanks, again.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Thank you very much LaLa, this list will be a great help, until the hype starts picking up to guide me in the wrong direction.:)

One more thing, though. Have you seen enough of MacMillan to give me a brief scouting report? I plan on watching him pretty soon, but I wonder what I should be looking for. Thanks, again.

Watched a lot of MacMillan over the past 2 years.

He is tall and lean, good skater, he plays physical, he is more of a playmaker than a finisher but he has a really good shot. He plays a very mature game and honestly when you watch him play youd think hes older. But he is NOT flashy, which means youll have to watch him 4-5 times before you really get the jist of what hes about. Much like James Sheppard last year.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
There are a lot of good 2007 eligible players in the Q this year and many of them are Euro's.

Here is how i'd rank them as of now: I listed 33 players, which is a bit above average in terms of the amount that would be picked from the Q

Angelo Esposito - QUE
Jakub Voracek - HAL
Logan MacMillan - HAL
Ruslan Bashkirov - QUE
David Stich - SNB
Jean-Simon Allard - SNF
Olivier Fortier - RIM
Alex Grant - SNB
Kevin Marshall - LEW
Kevin Vielleux - VIC
Marc-Andre Laroche - RIM
Scott Brannon - CAP
Roopertti Martikanenen - MON
Phillipe Garnier - RIM
Stephen Lund - PEI
Jan Kolarik - VIC (late)
Marc-Antoine Desnoyers - RN
Michael Stinziani - GAT
Maxime Maceneaur - RN
Peter Cmorej - PEI (late)
Matthew Pistilli - SHA (late)
Colin Escott - GAT
Roman Bashkirov - QUE
Keven Guerette-Charland - VIC
Yuri Cheremetiev - HAL
Benoit Levesque - PEI
Maxim Gratchev - RIM (late)
Mario Kempe - SNF (late)
David Skokan - RIM (late)
Justin Pender - HAL (late)
Maxime Cliche - PEI
Raphael D'Orso - VDO
Nicola Riopel - MON

I think Grant, Lund and Brannon are a little low eh, I would put Grant possibly ahead of MacMillan myself, and Lund just after MacMillan. Brannon I know you are not a big fan of, but I would put him up a little more on your list.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I think Grant, Lund and Brannon are a little low eh, I would put Grant possibly ahead of MacMillan myself, and Lund just after MacMillan. Brannon I know you are not a big fan of, but I would put him up a little more on your list.

I just dont see enough skill to go along with toughness for Lund. He is big and mobile but i dont particularly like his hockey sense and puck skills, which is pretty big in the "new NHL"

Grant had a god awful rookie year and this year, according to people in Saint John, has been one of their worst Dmen in camp. Im not going to judge him based on camp but i have him ranked in the 2nd round area...which is when i think he will go.

Brannon, it depends if his offensive game has developed enough. I always thought he was a good player but i just dont know if he will be offensive enough to be picked earlier. He has the whole package though, he just needs to put it together.

VanNistelrooy

Jun 15, 2005
Habs Land
How Frolik did in pre-season games ? Any info would be greatly appreciated, I'm looking forward to see what kind of season the kid can put ! :yo:
Actually, i found him great. He already have a NHL caliber shot, and everytime he has the puck, you can bet something will happen. I think there has been SEVERAL punitions called on players who tried to follow Frolik :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad