Speculation: Potential destinations for Grubauer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Am I wrong, or wasn't Niemi offersheeted by SJS right after Hjalmarsson??

I looked it up he went to arbitration and got awarded a salary to high for Chicago who refused to accept it so they basically let him go then San Jose scooped in and signed him

Reactions: Kolzilla

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
His value is about supply and demand.

He’s probably the best young option available with some good upside. The teams looking for goalies (buffalo, isles and canes to name a few) likely prefer a younger goalie with potential like him as opposed to an older retread.

He will get traded. It will be interesting what he brings back.
He might be the best young option available but he's still a goalie and an unproven commodity.
A player that was benched during the playoffs.
Can't see a team offering more than say a late first or two seconds. Teams can just wait until July an do an offer sheet. It's crazy to expect the moon for a player that doesn't fit in the Caps plans for the future and has a replacement in the pipeline. If the price us high then teams will most likely back away. I'd guess a desperate team may overpay but not at the cost of a top 15 draft pick. That would be a big surprise.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
A top-12 picks in a draft where there’s widely thought to be a drop off after the first 12 guys is even bigger. For those dismissing it based on value, remember that the value is solely driven on what other teams are interested and willing to give - which has a strong correlation to what’s available. Grubs definitely seems like the best available goalie this offseason so it’s definitely possible and would be a huge windfall for the Caps.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
A top-12 picks in a draft where there’s widely thought to be a drop off after the first 12 guys is even bigger. For those dismissing it based on value, remember that the value is solely driven on what other teams are interested and willing to give - which has a strong correlation to what’s available. Grubs definitely seems like the best available goalie this offseason so it’s definitely possible and would be a huge windfall for the Caps.

Hutton is UFA and equal IMO. W UFAs talking early teams may know what picks to offer at the draft

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
If the Oilers are indeed considering trading Talbot (rumors) in a separate deal, then I could see the Oil being a player for Grubauer. It will not involve our first this year. What would the Caps be looking for from the Oil?

Reactions: 780il

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If the Oilers are indeed considering trading Talbot (rumors) in a separate deal, then I could see the Oil being a player for Grubauer. It will not involve our first this year. What would the Caps be looking for from the Oil?
I would think that it'd be something like Klefbom + 3rd/2nd rounder for Grubauer and Vrana

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
It's also my understanding that the Oilers since moving on from Hall and Eberle may be in need of wings. Burakovsky had chemistry with McDavid when they were line mates with the Erie Otters. Caps could trade Grubauer and Burakosky to the Oilers for their 2nd and 3rd round picks this season and 1st in 2019.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
It's also my understanding that the Oilers since moving on from Hall and Eberle may be in need of wings. Burakovsky had chemistry with McDavid when they were line mates with the Erie Otters. Caps could trade Grubauer and Burakosky to the Oilers for their 2nd and 3rd round picks this season and 1st in 2019.
Add lottery protection to the first and I think that I would have to do it.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Larry Brooks made the seemingly out of left field comment, that if the nyi did not want to give up their 1st for Grubs, they may turn to Detroit's Howard.

Gonna guess based on Brooks comment, that the isles are balking at giving up a top 12 pick for Grubrauer.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Grubauer and 31OA
For
Ho-Sang and 12OA.

I thing the Grubs to Isles piece makes sense. But moving up 19slots isn’t enough. Ho-Sang needs a change....

I look at it this way if I made a hypothetical trade

12 for ? + 31st

I would argue ? = roughly a pick in the 22-25 range so basically trading the 12th for Grubauer and 31st is saying Grubauer's value is basically a 22-25th pick

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I’d take Grubauer if we can flip Allen to the Islanders in a deal based around him and Greiss. Both goalies would probably do very well with our defense.

It’d also probably be the first German goalie duo in NHL history lol.

Last edited:

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Holy crap he is overrated. Worries about trading him within he division? Really? He’s a decent goalie but he’s not some kind of stud starting goalie. He sucked against Columbus.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Holy crap he is overrated. Worries about trading him within he division? Really? He’s a decent goalie but he’s not some kind of stud starting goalie. He sucked against Columbus.
Schneider was 26 yr old and considered a potential franchise goalie when traded for 9th overall .

27 yr old Andersen had shown more then Grubrauer, when dealt for a late 1st.
So, yes I agree Grubrauer is being overrated.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Ryan Reaves was traded for a 1st right? I dont think its that hard to imagine gruby fetching that as well. Supply and demand! Det, Cal, Buf, Isles, Canes, Edm, Stl should all have interest to some degree. It could drive up the price.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Ryan Reaves was traded for a 1st right? I dont think its that hard to imagine gruby fetching that as well. Supply and demand! Det, Cal, Buf, Isles, Canes, Edm, Stl should all have interest to some degree. It could drive up the price.

2017 NHL Entry Draft Transactions

Blues
Traded • Ryan Reaves • 2017 second round pick (#51-Zachary Lauzon) to Penguins for • Oskar Sundqvist • 2017 first round pick (#31-Klim Kostin) on 2017-06-23

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Isles can let those teams fight it out for Grubrauer. Meanwhile, Isles can take one of Howard, Bernier or Hutton while waiting for Sorokin in 2 seasons.
Not interested in overpaying for Grubs because he is the flavor of the moment for the media:laugh:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Not if LL has a better player in mind to use those first rounders for, eg top pairing D man.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
2017 NHL Entry Draft Transactions

Blues
Traded • Ryan Reaves • 2017 second round pick (#51-Zachary Lauzon) to Penguins for • Oskar Sundqvist • 2017 first round pick (#31-Klim Kostin) on 2017-06-23

Boredmale posted the players/picks involved in the Reaves trade.

He was traded for the last pick in the 1st round. You comparing a top 12OV to 31stOV and saying they are close in value?

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I’d take Grubauer if we can flip Allen to the Islanders in a deal based around him and Greiss. Both goalies would probably do very well with our defense.

It’d also probably be the first German goalie duo in NHL history lol.
heh , you read my mind . for the past few weeks I've wondered if the Blues would consider trading Allen and going with resigning Hutton and one of your up and coming rookies (no idea who that guy could be , I'll use Husso as a name drop).

no problem from my end giving up ''one of'' 11th or 12th overall for Allen and whatever +/- add ons Lou and your gm could think of .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad