Potential buyouts on your team

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Marshall said:
Kolzig's the only consideration for the Caps.
I don't think so . . . . . not with one year left, a 24% rollback, and no proven goalie to lead the team. He might be trade bait, but I don't think he'll be bought out.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
True, but it's not his choice to be bought out, it's the Caps'.

I do hope he's calmed down a bit - - - can't have him attacking Gordon for his own errors . . :madfire:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
For the Ducks I can see a buy out of Fedorov, this will give us ~$6 million in cap room after roll back. Not to sure on anyone elase that we may want rid of. Sykora maybe is we get someone to fill the gap for less than he makes. The other larger contracts are over in the case of Ozolinsh (could be resigned for less) and Giguere is not going anywhere.

Other Ducks fans could give you a better note on this

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
Icey said:
Such as what you just wrote? Should I believe that or that just total bs also. :shakehead

But seriously, I guess it depends on how much St. Louis, Vinny and Khabulin cost. None of them are going to come cheap. Those three alone could put them near the bottem end of the cap with only a handful of players signed.

My point was that Tampa Bay isn't in such a great position as people are making them out to be. They may not need to buy anyone out, but there are probably players that they are going to be forced to let walk.

Since the thread is about buyouts and you didn't mention "walking away" I didn't address that.

The Lightning have already "walked away", i.e. not qualified RFA's every year for the last 2 seasons now. Players like Nolan Pratt weren't qualified in 2003 but resigned at a much lower price after there weren't any other teams interested. In 2004, the team didn't qualify Clymer or Neckar but could still make either a lower offer once a CBA is signed.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
Icey said:
You obviously don't remember what Guerin is like on the ice. He floats too often and when the game is on the line he rarely is the difference maker, unless of course your referring to the trips to the penalty box. I say get rid of him especially due to the rumored tension between him and Modano all last season.
I disagree. Guerin was your leading scorer. Turg was 6th. Guerin provides leadership and will step in as the captain if Modano isn't back.

Icey said:
At this point, he may be willing to re-work his contract for them. He also is no longer the scapgoat for the Stars.
If Turg would re-work his contract to create some cap space, then yeah, he'd gain some fan support.

As far as the rest of the Stars' moves that I talked about. I didn't really want to go into all the math, but since you asked for it.. Assuming buyouts don't count against the cap, and that Turg is bought out, this is what the Stars look like with the rollback..

Guerin - $6.74
Lehtinen - $3.57
Turco - $3.16
Boucher - $1.82
Barnes - $1.14
Klemm - $1.12
Daley - $0.456
Svoboda - $0.456

That totals out to $19.04..

Modano - $6.84
Zubov - $4.56
Morrow - $1.40

Now you're at $31.83..

Add in your other RFA's - none of which have done anything since their last contracts to deserve big raises..

Kapanen - $570
Erskine - $552
Ellis - $437
Smith - $418
Ott - $530
Miettinen - $624
Lessard - $570 (paycut there - the kid didn't do jack in the AHL)

Now you're at $34.96..

With the cap at $39.5 minus the $2.2 for player costs, you have 18 players under contract and $2.34M in cap space. If you have to give 110% QO's to your small time RFA's, then that gives you another $370k hit and about $2M in cap space..

Buying out Guerin instead of Turgeon gives you an extra $1.41 in cap space.. Buying both of them out gives you a whopping $12M in cap space.

Regardless of which of the two you'd rather see go - I think it's obvious that the Stars will be happy with the number of core players that they'll be able to keep if they buy out one of the two..

(04-05 salaires based on http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/Payroll/index.htm)

Ron C.

Sponsor
Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
Sabres....Nobody.

Plus Buffalo will have @20 Million to spend just to get to the middle of the payroll range. Who knows, with a Billionaire owner, we may even spend more. :)

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
Kimi3013 said:
For the Ducks I can see a buy out of Fedorov, this will give us ~$6 million in cap room after roll back. Not to sure on anyone elase that we may want rid of. Sykora maybe is we get someone to fill the gap for less than he makes. The other larger contracts are over in the case of Ozolinsh (could be resigned for less) and Giguere is not going anywhere.

Other Ducks fans could give you a better note on this

With the rollback, Sykora's contract wouldn't be all that bad for a 1st line winger. Other than Fedorov, in fact, I don't think any of Anaheim's players are overly expensive for what they bring to the table, and even in his case it might be more cost-effective to just keep him as opposed to buying him out and signing another 1st line center.

As for Giguere, he would be taking up only about 1/10th of a $36 million cap, which is quite reasonable for a good starter.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
EndBoards said:
Disagreed. Guerin will stay. He's popular with the fans & local media and he has produced well on the ice.

Unless he's willing to re-work his contract for a 50% pay cut, Turgeon is outta here within 5 minutes of the CBA announcement. He's given very little production for the years that he's been here and is a local scapegoat.

With a Turgeon buyout and the 24% rollback, the Stars are in good shape. They can sign Modano, & Zubov to new contracts at their rolled back level AND they can give Morrow a new contract at his rolled back level plus a 15% raise. Add in some of their top prospects that should be NHL-ready, and you've got 18 players signed for $35M. That leaves $2.3M to sign 5 players. You aren't going to have room for any big UFA aqusitions, but you could easily sign a 4th line center for $750k and use the other $1.5 for 4 other players..
I wouldn't say Guerin is an obvious choice but I certainly wouldn't say he is definately going to stay, either. Even at his rollback price he would take up a very large percentage of the salary cap.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
It would depend on the buyout conditions especially for the very first year of this new CBA. While teams were warned not to overspend going into the lockout, Bettman may give the overspenders and everyone a one-time offer to buyout one player per club and then resign that player.

Example using the Ottawa Senators:

1. Sens buyout their largest contact --- Daniel Alfredsson
4 years left at 4.95M(after rollback) = 19.8M
2/3 buyout = 13.2M

2. New contract is now
4 years at 1.65M per season.

Ultimately, this will depend on the club and the player. Alfie is likely a Sen for the rest of his career so management may not hesitate 'front loading' his contract.

SENSible1*

chara said:
It would depend on the buyout conditions especially for the very first year of this new CBA. While teams were warned not to overspend going into the lockout, Bettman may give the overspenders and everyone a one-time offer to buyout one player per club and then resign that player.

2/3 buyout = 13.2M

2. New contract is now

Ultimately, this will depend on the club and the player. Alfie is likely a Sen for the rest of his career so management may not hesitate 'front loading' his contract.

There is no way that teams will be allowed to buyout and resign/re-acquire any players for exactly the reason you outlined. Alfie should cost more than 1.65 per season against the cap.

Murphy*

snakepliskin said:
i don't think my canes would be considering any buyouts though rod brind'amor might be a possibility but i doubt it as he is pretty much the leader of team since francis is gone and the canes (whose payroll a couple of years ago was at 40 mill) did a pretty good job of moving high paid vets and acquiring some pretty good young guns such as justin williams and radim vrbata to name a couple of guys with real nice upsides and without the heavy contract.

If the canes buyout Brind'amour you can be certain that the sens will be in the running to pick him up.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
chara said:

2/3 buyout = 13.2M

2. New contract is now

Again, the whole buy-out and re-sign thing is a non-issue. The agreement will NOT allow it because it it's a blatant run-around of the cap. And it will probably apply to the team that the player finished the 04 season with, preventing a trade-buyout-resign scenario..

If the club and a player want to agree to a lower salary, the league will tell them to restructure the contract..

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
EndBoards said:
Again, the whole buy-out and re-sign thing is a non-issue. The agreement will NOT allow it because it it's a blatant run-around of the cap. And it will probably apply to the team that the player finished the 04 season with, preventing a trade-buyout-resign scenario..
And buying out a bad contract isn't?

If the club and a player want to agree to a lower salary, the league will tell them to restructure the contract..
Which is what will happen anyway.

ATLANTARANGER*

The question really is,

Steadfast said:
kmad, I agree regarding the Canucks.

As for Yashin, what would the buyout be? 2/3 of $50 million or so? :amazed:
do they have the money to buy him out to begin with, not whether or not they want to. Anybody with a pea for a brain would buy that contract out.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
do they have the money to buy him out to begin with, not whether or not they want to

Wang's offered to put up a lot of the money needed for the arena/development deal.His portion would come to a couple hundred million, so I'd guess he could come up $34m.

Anybody with a pea for a brain would buy that contract out

Anybody with a pea for a brain would realize that buying out Yashin isn't a cut and dried decision.They'll be paying him $34m and then having to go out and spend $4.5m-$5m a yr on his replacement.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Preds:

Arkhipov ... ugh, this guy since his arrest has been meh ... if he could find a different location with a fresh start, maybe it would be better for him and us

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
CREW99AW said:

Wang's offered to put up a lot of the money needed for the arena/development deal.His portion would come to a couple hundred million, so I'd guess he could come up $34m.

Anybody with a pea for a brain would realize that buying out Yashin isn't a cut and dried decision.They'll be paying him $34m and then having to go out and spend $4.5m-$5m a yr on his replacement.

Old CBA had buyout paid over 2X life of contract remaining, not upfront. Is this still the case?

Major difference for Yashin.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
Hasbro said:
Endboards said:
And buying out a bad contract isn't?
Nope. Not if the player can't return to your team.

A run-around would be a way to retain cap space and keep a player without reducing his pay.

This isn't a run-around. The only way to retain cap space is by giving the player up or reducing his pay by a mutually agreed upon restructuring..

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
EndBoards said:

A run-around would be a way to retain cap space and keep a player without reducing his pay.

This isn't a run-around. The only way to retain cap space is by giving the player up or reducing his pay by a mutually agreed upon restructuring..
So New york gets to erase their Jagr mistake for 67% of 4.18 for the next 4 years i.e a check for 11 millionish gets them 4 mill in cap space over the next 4 years, someone else has to deal with Jag's moodiness, the Rangers pick up another sniper and that isn't a cap dodge? :dunno:

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
Hasbro said:
So New york gets to erase their Jagr mistake for 67% of 4.18 for the next 4 years i.e a check for 11 millionish gets them 4 mill in cap space over the next 4 years, someone else has to deal with Jag's moodiness, the Rangers pick up another sniper and that isn't a cap dodge? :dunno:
The Washington Whine.. umm, errr, Capitals were the ones that made "The Jagr Mistake.." 7 years, $77M was Ted's doing.. NYR just gave them a place to dump the salary..

Jagr's moodiness and poor production will be reflected in his next contract..

And no, it's not a cap dodge because the cap is forcing NYR to make a choice - keep Jagr or retain some cap space.

It forces Jagr to make a choice - restructure & live with a paycut in NY or opt for the buyout and take your chances on the open market.

A cap dodge would not force anyone to make a choice.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
EndBoards said:
The Washington Whine.. umm, errr, Capitals were the ones that made "The Jagr Mistake.." 7 years, $77M was Ted's doing.. NYR just gave them a place to dump the salary..
And the Rangers were gracious enough to take him knowing full well his baggage and for less than market value on a reasonably paid player. You know right before they saw the light of fiscal responcibility some three weeks later.

Jagr's moodiness and poor production will be reflected in his next contract..

And no, it's not a cap dodge because the cap is forcing NYR to make a choice - keep Jagr or retain some cap space.

It forces Jagr to make a choice - restructure & live with a paycut in NY or opt for the buyout and take your chances on the open market.

A cap dodge would not force anyone to make a choice.
In otherwords it's a gift to New York, they get out from under a bad contract they had no point in aquiring and get money to spend elsewhere. They unload a player a team paid to get rid of for no cap penalty what so ever, that's a dodge.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
EndBoards said:

Isn't that what is in effect happening? Just change the names on the backs of the Sweaters. If Forsberg is bought out at 2/3 of salary and released he will still have that money in his pocket . . . and then can sign with another contender, Detroit maybe, for a fraction of his worth because he got his money. He does not need to choose between $$$'s and a competitive team so guess where he will end up. But Detroit does the same and their player goes to Toronto. Toronto's goes to Colorado.

In the end the teams with large payrolls get a Cap exemption that in effect lets them add two more of among the best the league has to offer.

This is fair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad