Potential buyouts on your team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
As someone else pointed out, LeClair and Amonte are all but gone, Clarke will use 5-7 of the Calder cup winning Phantoms in Pitkanen, Seidenberg, Carter, Richards, Sharpe and Niitty. This leave some cap space for a couple of UFA D men and possibly a winger.

I think the Flyers could have a better team in comparison to most of the rest of the contenders next season.

danaluvsthekings

May 1, 2004
SSJTOM said:
I would have said Reichel but he's gone.

Nolan could be the Leafs Buyout but a friend said that Nolan said he'd re-work his contract with the Leafs, so I dunno.

I havn't heard anything about Owen re-working a contract, especially in this labour dispute, but I could deffintly see it, especially if the "lose the player" thing is true, I think Nolan wants to be here in Toronto, and might re-work his contract to 2/3rds to stay rather then getting paid 2/3rds and going bye bye.

If buyouts don't count against the cap this once wouldn't the Leafs be better off by buying Nolan out and letting him go and using the money to sign someone a few years younger and perhaps a little more durable rather than restructure his deal? There are going to be a lot of players available either because they don't have contracts, some RFAs might not be qualified as teams try to get under the cap, or they will have been bought out.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
i don't think my canes would be considering any buyouts though rod brind'amor might be a possibility but i doubt it as he is pretty much the leader of team since francis is gone and the canes (whose payroll a couple of years ago was at 40 mill) did a pretty good job of moving high paid vets and acquiring some pretty good young guns such as justin williams and radim vrbata to name a couple of guys with real nice upsides and without the heavy contract.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Detroit should definitely look at Joseph, Whitney, and Hatcher. Also, if Yzerman wants to continue getting a salary far in excess of what he's worth the Wings need to tell him to either retire or hit the road.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Komisarek8 said:
WHAT?

why would Sundstrom get bought out? he is making peanuts and gainey gave him a 2 yr contract...

Why would Rivet get bough out, he's worth around 2.5 right away which isn't that bad.

and Brisebois' contract is over now.... and chances here he would reconstruct his contract instead of being forced to leave the Habs.

Sundstrom I think they will keep instead of having a young player on every line. He only makes $1.3 million before the rollback anyway.

Rivet is set to make $3.5 pre-rollback for the next two seasons. Way too much for a player of his calibre. I think they will still keep him though, 2/3 of that number is a lot to pay him off. Plus he is Koivu's best friend.

As for Brisebois, the one year left on his deal is a team option at $4.5 million. Absurd! Obviously they do not exercise that. He will have to restructure it or be bought out at $1 million.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
danaluvsthekings said:
If buyouts don't count against the cap this once wouldn't the Leafs be better off by buying Nolan out and letting him go and using the money to sign someone a few years younger and perhaps a little more durable rather than restructure his deal? There are going to be a lot of players available either because they don't have contracts, some RFAs might not be qualified as teams try to get under the cap, or they will have been bought out.

I was acctually thinking the 2/3rds counted against the cap.

nikolai19

Jan 5, 2003
Corona, CA
myspace.com
getnziggywidit said:
I guess the Kings will want to buy out Aaron Miller but probably not Mattias Norstrom.

I wonder if the Kings will turn around after signing Craig Conroy to a (relatively) big contract before the lockout and buy him out.

I don't think LA buys out anyone. Miller and Norstrom with a 24% rollback are relatively deals at around $3million a peice.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Phil Parent said:
Craig Rivet and Nicklas Sundstrom. I'd keep Brisebois.

dude! Rivet is more reliable, a bigger part of leadership and 1 million$ cheaper than Brisebois.

At 4.5, Brisebois is clearly overpaid. He is out. The 1 million$ buy out clause will be exercised. My only question is: does the 24% rollback affect the buy out clause (making is 760 000$)???

Gainey is not stupid. He saw the cap coming when he signed Sunny to a 2 year contract last summer. I'd be surprised if he was bought out. Especialy when you consider that the buy out rule is generaly for BIG EXPENSIVE contracts. Sundstrom is a 3rd line checker making a few bucks.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
missK said:
Latest rumors indicate 04-05 contract will not be used so if you are using 05-06 contracts there are only 8 players under contract. With a 24% rollback here are the numbers:

Sydor $2,432,000
Kubina $2,584,000
Modin $2,204,000
Richards $3,306,000
Prospal $1,900,000
Sarich $1,330,000
Grahame $1,140,000
Dingman $570,000

Total $15,466,000

Who do you think the Lightning would buy-out and and want to lose? NO ONE. We don't have an extravagent UFA signed here.

P.S. The Lightning contract number for 04-05 is $30.7M (for 20 players) including rollback, don't believe everything you read online.

Such as what you just wrote? Should I believe that or that just total bs also. :shakehead

But seriously, I guess it depends on how much St. Louis, Vinny and Khabulin cost. None of them are going to come cheap. Those three alone could put them near the bottem end of the cap with only a handful of players signed.

My point was that Tampa Bay isn't in such a great position as people are making them out to be. They may not need to buy anyone out, but there are probably players that they are going to be forced to let walk.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Color@do @v@l@nche said:
other teams can buyout their overpaid guys but avs can't because Sakic and Blake are team most important players :shakehead

From what I understand, the buyout price is pretty high, so its still costing the team money. Cheer up, tho, salary rollbacks will cut down the cost of every player.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I think Derian Hatcher is still under contract to the Wings. They might want to buy him out,unless he suddenly becomes useful (They're probably counting on that unlikely scenario). Most of the other players the Wings might have wanted to buy out I don't think are under contract anymore...could be wrong

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
As a Sens fan I really hope Brooks is right. Devries and Smolinski bring nothing to the sens lineup that they need at those outrageous salaries. If they come back at reduced prices im all for it but not at 3 million per year for a fifth defensman and a 3rd liner.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
octopi said:
I think Derian Hatcher is still under contract to the Wings. They might want to buy him out,unless he suddenly becomes useful (They're probably counting on that unlikely scenario). Most of the other players the Wings might have wanted to buy out I don't think are under contract anymore...could be wrong
Well, he had a major knee injury plus surgery and rushed coming back to play. Granted he wasn't a speed demon to begin with, but I think he ought to be a bit more mobile and effective next year with a full year of healing than he was trying to jump into the playoffs after playing a handful of games. The only pain in the ass is that his deal is backloaded instead of frontloaded. He'll only get more expensive over the next three years.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
getnziggywidit said:
Yashin is due to make $39.7M after rollback over the next 6 years ($6.6M per year)

It would cost the Islanders $26.6M to buy him out.

It will cost the Islanders $13.2M or $2.2M per year more to keep Yashin.

Two comments.

If they buyout Yashin, that's an extra $6.6M/yr cap space available for the next 6 years - the buyout $'s will not count against the cap (according to Brooks).

If the buyout terms of the new CBA are similar to those of the last one, the buyout will be paid over the next 12 years (2x the time remaining on the contract). So instead of paying $6.6M/yr for 6 years (and having cap problems), the Isles can say Bye-Bye Alexei and pay out only $2.2M/yr for 12 years and have much better cash flow and salary cap situations.

I'm one of the few Isles fans who sort of likes Alexei, but bye-bye.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
MojoJojo said:
Guerin for the Stars is an obvious choice.
Disagreed. Guerin will stay. He's popular with the fans & local media and he has produced well on the ice.

Unless he's willing to re-work his contract for a 50% pay cut, Turgeon is outta here within 5 minutes of the CBA announcement. He's given very little production for the years that he's been here and is a local scapegoat.

With a Turgeon buyout and the 24% rollback, the Stars are in good shape. They can sign Modano, & Zubov to new contracts at their rolled back level AND they can give Morrow a new contract at his rolled back level plus a 15% raise. Add in some of their top prospects that should be NHL-ready, and you've got 18 players signed for $35M. That leaves $2.3M to sign 5 players. You aren't going to have room for any big UFA aqusitions, but you could easily sign a 4th line center for $750k and use the other $1.5 for 4 other players..

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
I love this game, spend your owners money.

Since Cujo contract is over, no need to buy him out.

I'd buy out Hatcher and Whitney

That would put the Wings payroll at 23 million or so (including rollbacks)

WC Handy*

I'm sure that most people think that Tkachuk is an obvious one for the Blues, but I don't think there's any chance of it happening. Besides the fact that Laurie will probably have issues with buying out anyone right now, after Tkachuk makes his $7.6M this year, they'll get him at $3.8M next year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
norrisnick said:
Well, he had a major knee injury plus surgery and rushed coming back to play. Granted he wasn't a speed demon to begin with, but I think he ought to be a bit more mobile and effective next year with a full year of healing than he was trying to jump into the playoffs after playing a handful of games. The only pain in the ass is that his deal is backloaded instead of frontloaded. He'll only get more expensive over the next three years.

Which is why the wings would almost have to buy him out, imo. It'd be better to take a short term financial hit in buying him out and then replacing him with a cheaper UFA option, than to take his cap hit for the next three years. The other option is to maybe get him to re-negotiate to have a smaller per year cap number but more years maybe?

Buyouts for the wings: Hatcher, Whitney, McCarty

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
EndBoards said:
Disagreed. Guerin will stay. He's popular with the fans & local media and he has produced well on the ice.

Unless he's willing to re-work his contract for a 50% pay cut, Turgeon is outta here within 5 minutes of the CBA announcement. He's given very little production for the years that he's been here and is a local scapegoat.

With a Turgeon buyout and the 24% rollback, the Stars are in good shape. They can sign Modano, & Zubov to new contracts at their rolled back level AND they can give Morrow a new contract at his rolled back level plus a 15% raise. Add in some of their top prospects that should be NHL-ready, and you've got 18 players signed for $35M. That leaves $2.3M to sign 5 players. You aren't going to have room for any big UFA aqusitions, but you could easily sign a 4th line center for $750k and use the other $1.5 for 4 other players..

You obviously don't remember what Guerin is like on the ice. He floats too often and when the game is on the line he rarely is the difference maker, unless of course your referring to the trips to the penalty box. I say get rid of him especially due to the rumored tension between him and Modano all last season.

Turgeon was one of the few players on the Stars who actually EARNED his contract in the last season (and that out of the mouth of Doug Armstrong). Turgeon actually showed up for the playoffs last season, which is more than we can say for anyone else including Bill Guerin. Turgeon has earned the right to stay IF they can afford him. At this point, he may be willing to re-work his contract for them. He also is no longer the scapgoat for the Stars. Last season that belonged to Richard Matvichuk and we should all count our lucky stars he is gone. Of course reworking a contract is something we know Guerin won't do since he said no on two previous occassions.

And how do you figure buying out Turgeon is going to free up enough money to sign Zubov and Modano plus give Morrow a 15% raise (in your dreams). Turgeon's buyout would cost them a little over $3M, so that leaves them $4M extra cap space to work with and you think they are going to sign those 3 players for $4 and that is assuming the buyout cost does not count against the cap? :biglaugh: :biglaugh: Turgeon has one year left on his contract, it would make more sense to buy out Guerin who still has 2 years left.

I also don't know where you are getting the 18 players signed, according to everything that I have read and has been printed their are 9 players signed for $23M plus Dan Ellis whose salary is undisclosed but we can probably assume in under $1M and will be Turco's back-up. Perhaps your assuming all the RFA will be qualified and if that's the case then you get the 18 players for $30M, which puts them in better shape than you said, but it still leaves Modano and Zubov without contracts, plus a few holes in defense. Not a lot of wiggle room.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
NYR1 said:
Considering the Capitals share Jagr's cap charge I think the Rangers would be better off keeping him especialy with a rollback. The Rangers have completley misused Holik and if decided to let two people go Holik and Kaspar might be them.
The Caps pay about 40% of Jagr's salary . . . . Rangers are on the "hook" for the entire contract when it comes to cap figures.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
kdb209 said:
Two comments.

If they buyout Yashin, that's an extra $6.6M/yr cap space available for the next 6 years - the buyout $'s will not count against the cap (according to Brooks).

If the buyout terms of the new CBA are similar to those of the last one, the buyout will be paid over the next 12 years (2x the time remaining on the contract). So instead of paying $6.6M/yr for 6 years (and having cap problems), the Isles can say Bye-Bye Alexei and pay out only $2.2M/yr for 12 years and have much better cash flow and salary cap situations.

I'm one of the few Isles fans who sort of likes Alexei, but bye-bye.

The Islanders can get someone to replace Yashin's offensive production for $4 or less. And $2.2 will get you a decent second liner in the post lockout NHL. The Isles have some of the best third and fourth line players in the league but lack scoring punch on the top two lines. If Peca can return to the form he had before Tucker took him out, they are two good scorers away from being a pretty good team.

Unfortunately with the departure of Jonsson and the UFA status of both Aucoin and Hamrlik, the money will probably all go towards shoring up the defence and the top end offence will sputter once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad