Post trade deadline blues

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
not quite -- it's why they didn't bother picking up a depth defenceman. it's why they showed no interest in a guy like Mike Green or
Hjalmarsson, for instance...if you see Dermott blossoming into a top 4 role next year, there' s no point in going outside the org anymore.

they were clearly in on the bigger fish only. because that's all we need now; we have enough depth guys.
It was reported that Green would not accept a trade to Toronto and Hjalmarsson was brought up as someone we might like.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
If we play Tampa at some point in the playoffs, our offense will tear their D apart. Can't stop guys like Matthews.

Gardiner will also be the best D in the series. I'd take him over any of Tampa's defenders come playoff time.
Do you know who Victor Hedman is lol?

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Bergeron: 32
Marchand: 29
Chara: 40

Stamkos: 28
Kucherov: 24
Hedman: 27

Matthews: 20
Nylander: 21
Marner: 20
Rielly: 23

thats why Boston and Tampa went for it harder than we did

I'm a leaf fan as well.....but......

McAvoy: 20
Carlo: 21
Pastrnak: 21

DeBrusk: 21

Foote: 18
Sergachev: 19
Point: 21
Koekkoek: 24

Kadri: 27
JVR: 28
Gardiner: 27

Everyone's future looks pretty good...they're not just going to suck in 2 years.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
It’s hard to name a TDL trade that’s ever been the final piece that pushed their team over the top.

It’s just a time where sellers get to gouge desperate teams. I’m pretty pleased that Leafs decided to stay cautious and only went bargain shopping.
Marian Gaborik scored 14G for the LA Kings en route to the Stanley Cup the same season he was acquired at the deadline.

Jeff Carter has been a major contributor during two Cup wins with the LA Kings after being acquired at the deadline.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm a leaf fan as well.....but......

McAvoy: 20
Carlo: 21
Pastrnak: 21
DeBrusk: 21

Foote: 18
Sergachev: 19
Point: 21
Koekkoek: 24

Kadri: 27
JVR: 28
Gardiner: 27

Everyone's future looks pretty good...they're not just going to suck in 2 years.
it's not that nobody else has good young players, it's that our best players are also our youngest. Tampa and Boston's best players are currently in their primes. Guys like DeBrusk or Foote don't compare with our young players really

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
it's not that nobody else has good young players, it's that our best players are also our youngest. Tampa and Boston's best players are currently in their primes. Guys like DeBrusk or Foote don't compare with our young players really
Maybe it's me but when the Leafs played the Bruins this past Saturday, it seemed like Hughson and Simpson wanted more focus on the Bruins young players. So if them and those young players on Tampa get more attention maybe that's why others don't bring up who the Leafs have, however we know the truth.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Maybe it's me but when the Leafs played the Bruins this past Saturday, it seemed like Hughson and Simpson wanted more focus on the Bruins young players. So if them and those young players on Tampa get more attention maybe that's why others don't bring up who the Leafs have, however we know the truth.
I like Pastrnak but I wouldn't be shocked if Nylander and Marner were both better than him. Rielly is better than McAvoy too, but I guess that could change. Their other youngsters aren't particularly impressive

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I like Pastrnak but I wouldn't be shocked if Nylander and Marner were both better than him. Rielly is better than McAvoy too, but I guess that could change. Their other youngsters aren't particularly impressive
I have nothing against Pastrnak myself, however I think a lot of his hype is from some Bruins fans who want him to be better than Nylander.

Remember how they were praising Dougie Hamilton, which I think is because they picked him using the Leafs 1st round pick in 2011 from the Kessel trade.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I have nothing against Pastrnak myself, however I think a lot of his hype is from some Bruins fans who want him to be better than Nylander.

Remember how they were praising Dougie Hamilton, which I think is because they picked him using the Leafs 1st round pick in 2011 from the Kessel trade.
i'm really glad Boston has terrible management. They'd be unbeatable if they had Barzal, Seguin, and Hamilton on this current team

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It’s hard to name a TDL trade that’s ever been the final piece that pushed their team over the top.

It’s just a time where sellers get to gouge desperate teams. I’m pretty pleased that Leafs decided to stay cautious and only went bargain shopping.

Recently, Gaborik scored a bunch of goals for the Kings the year he was acquired. The bad move was re-signing him

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada

I do agree.

Our young group is probably the best out of the 3....but if we had Stamkos, Kucherov, Bergeron & Marchand than our best players wouldn't necessarily be our youngest anymore.

You're right about DeBrusk - but I think that Foote might turn some heads once he starts playing.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I do agree.

Our young group is probably the best out of the 3....but if we had Stamkos, Kucherov, Bergeron & Marchand than our best players wouldn't necessarily be our youngest anymore.

You're right about DeBrusk - but I think that Foote might turn some heads once he starts playing.
I don't think Foote will be as good as Liljegren tbh

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
McAvoy and Pastrnak are outstanding picks where they were chosen. They alone keep Bostons management out of the terrible category.

McAvoy & Pastrnak were definately OUTSTANDING pick ups.

But Boston whiffed a heavy one in 2015...with three 1st rounders in a row:

13 - Zboril
14 - DeBrusk
15 - Senyshyn

16 - Barzal
17 - Connor
23 - Boeser

Hindsight is 20/20.....but they should have snagged at least 1 of the bottom 3.

Just for fun...lets clean up a couple mistakes:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Connor - Barzal - Seguin
Heinen - Krejci - Boeser
BigNash - Backes - LilNash
---------------------------------
Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Hamilton
Grzelgyk - Carlo
Miller - McQuaid
------------------------
Tukka Rask
UHMMMMMMMMMMMM

So just to confirm...the guys in BLUE are signed for under $1,000,000...

And this team EASILY fits under the cap for at least one more year...

Thank You Boston......GO LEAFS

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I’m happy they didn’t give away a first. Fact is that Vegas, Winnipeg, Nashville, Tampa and Boston all improved their teams by trading away firsts round picks. At most, only 1 of those teams can win the cup, and the other 4 will look stupid for trading away their highest pick. I’m not a huge fan of rentals. The Leafs this year are good enough to go toe to toe in a seven game series versus any team in the league. We don’t need to have a better record than Tampa in the 82 game season, just the 7 games we’ll play in the summer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad