Post trade deadline blues

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
I must admit watching the Tampa and Florida games with a certain melancholy; I was so excited at the rumours we could pick up the legitimate cornerstone (not a silly rental) that Ryan McDonagh could have been. It made such sense and I was hoping that the crafty, private Lou Lamoriello would, in tandem, announce the acquisition of some assets for JVR and Bozak. Sort of almost a wash at the end of the day and not facing the potential of them both signing elsewhere for nothing. All of this possible, after so many years and so many disasters in management, because of the wonderful Shanahan-Lamoriello-Babcock trio.

But now reality beckons and I cannot see how we can possibly progress in the playoffs with that defense (especially Polak as has been discussed to death elsewhere, and Zaitsevs recent poor play).

But I will get past the melancholy and trust that management knows what they are doing. I’m no different than many and want to see more of our talented youth out there versus the current penchant for using veterans in strange places and times. I yearn for a loaded offensive assault like some teams, with the talents of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Rielly all garnering 22 minutes a game. Enough of this “roll out 4 lines” (such that a JVR gets 13 minutes a night). I want Borgman and Hall out there, I want Kapanen off the 4th line. I wish we had more muscle and sandpaper at times.

But I’m not privy to Mike Babcock wealth of knowledge and experience. He probably has thought of all this but believes we’d be in big trouble without the steady hand of Komarov, or the checking of Hyman, the experience of Moore. All the youth and skill and speed can easily fold when facing the Bergeron, Marchand,Chara’s when the playoff grind starts.

As to trade deadline blues, I’m sure there is much I’m not aware of, like salary cap issues coming, like how ready are Liljegren and Johnsson and Aaltonen-how much chance there is of resigning JVR, potential of snagging Tavares and so much more.

So I will enjoy the rest of the year and the playoffs, marvelling at their talent and speed-thankful for what a remarkable turnaround management has executed, always cheering to the end. I hope to not have come across at all negative, I believe that management is taking dead aim at next year. But you never know; Anderson playing the way he has.........

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
You've made it seem that a loss vs Boston or Tampa is a certainty but it isn't. You've so sounded that Ryan McDonough would have been a legit cornerstone on D, and there's no certainty of that either.

I'm glad they didnt trade off our futures for an aging and declining D man. They are taking a long term approach to winning.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Compared to other seasons after the trade deadline and all the rumors that go with it, at least we know the Leafs will be in the playoffs and we can look forward to that.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It’s hard to name a TDL trade that’s ever been the final piece that pushed their team over the top.

It’s just a time where sellers get to gouge desperate teams. I’m pretty pleased that Leafs decided to stay cautious and only went bargain shopping.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It’s hard to name a TDL trade that’s ever been the final piece that pushed their team over the top.

It’s just a time where sellers get to gouge desperate teams. I’m pretty pleased that Leafs decided to stay cautious and only went bargain shopping.
They didn't win the Cup in 2014 but the Rangers did make the Finals that season and traded for Martin St. Louis on deadline day. So would that be the closest example of a team making a major trade and coming that close?

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
They didn't win the Cup in 2014 but the Rangers did make the Finals that season and traded for Martin St. Louis on deadline day. So would that be the closest example of a team making a major trade and coming that close?
All good points
Yes, lot of respect for what they didn’t do.
Patience.........

member 262271

The key to any trade deadline is to set your expectations to low.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
McDonagh has already peaked, he hasn't been the same every year since 2013/2014 for a little while now.

And Tampa/Boston are in totally different positions than us in their window.....your expectations are too high.

When did it get from appreciating the young talent on this team and watching a good story/their growth.......to wanting the cup so early? I think our window can start today but it's also about sustaining that window moving forward and not looking for short-term victories.....perspective is everything.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Im surpised Maroon went for a 3rd with the prices of everyone else changing hands... Guess points on Mcdavids line don't count.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I don't care about the TMZ aspect of the game with trades and losing on purpose for draft picks, crap like that.

I love the game itself.

We are steering this organization towards short, middle and long term success.

We are doing very well at this point and we are not going to cave in to impatient fans like past managements have done.

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
“Sometimes the best trade is the one you didn’t make”.

As Leaf fans we should be well versed with this statement.

Jun 27, 2005
Hossa in 2008 to the Pens went to the finals as well.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I must admit watching the Tampa and Florida games with a certain melancholy; I was so excited at the rumours we could pick up the legitimate cornerstone (not a silly rental) that Ryan McDonagh could have been. It made such sense and I was hoping that the crafty, private Lou Lamoriello would, in tandem, announce the acquisition of some assets for JVR and Bozak. Sort of almost a wash at the end of the day and not facing the potential of them both signing elsewhere for nothing. All of this possible, after so many years and so many disasters in management, because of the wonderful Shanahan-Lamoriello-Babcock trio.

But now reality beckons and I cannot see how we can possibly progress in the playoffs with that defense (especially Polak as has been discussed to death elsewhere, and Zaitsevs recent poor play).

But I will get past the melancholy and trust that management knows what they are doing. I’m no different than many and want to see more of our talented youth out there versus the current penchant for using veterans in strange places and times. I yearn for a loaded offensive assault like some teams, with the talents of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Rielly all garnering 22 minutes a game. Enough of this “roll out 4 lines” (such that a JVR gets 13 minutes a night). I want Borgman and Hall out there, I want Kapanen off the 4th line. I wish we had more muscle and sandpaper at times.

But I’m not privy to Mike Babcock wealth of knowledge and experience. He probably has thought of all this but believes we’d be in big trouble without the steady hand of Komarov, or the checking of Hyman, the experience of Moore. All the youth and skill and speed can easily fold when facing the Bergeron, Marchand,Chara’s when the playoff grind starts.

As to trade deadline blues, I’m sure there is much I’m not aware of, like salary cap issues coming, like how ready are Liljegren and Johnsson and Aaltonen-how much chance there is of resigning JVR, potential of snagging Tavares and so much more.

So I will enjoy the rest of the year and the playoffs, marvelling at their talent and speed-thankful for what a remarkable turnaround management has executed, always cheering to the end. I hope to not have come across at all negative, I believe that management is taking dead aim at next year. But you never know; Anderson playing the way he has.........

Trust the process

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
McDonagh fits Stamkos and Hedman's age group in Tampa Bay, and they are trying to win it all in the two playoffs before Kucherov forces them to make some cap moves. My guess is by the end of the 2019 season they'll need to dump some combination of McDonagh, Stralman, Coburn Killorn, Johnson, Palat, Callahan, Girardi and reshuffle with their kids.

Boston also has an aging core combined with a young one coming up. I'd suggest Nash is more of a name than a player of substance. Like who's more productive, 39 year old Marleau or 33 year old Nash. Yeah.

Plekanec might not be very good however.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Would've been a great add and I was hoping a D upgrade was in the cards, but I don't believe we had the assets to make an acceptable and sensible offer for McDonagh.

I was intrigued with the possibility of a JVR move, but getting an even return on potentially expiring assets is a tough task, and we couldn't realistically outright sell.

For the concerns about our blueline, it's a better group collectively from what we had going into last season's playoffs IMO. Think the same of the team as a whole. Hope we can improve upon what we did then.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
If we play Tampa at some point in the playoffs, our offense will tear their D apart. Can't stop guys like Matthews.

Gardiner will also be the best D in the series. I'd take him over any of Tampa's defenders come playoff time.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

how many times are legit #1 dmen in their primes signed for the following year available though?

I don't mind too terribly that plan B is seeing what Dermott and Liljegren turn into. But it's very possible we missed a big chance there.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
how many times are legit #1 dmen in their primes signed for the following year available though?

I don't mind too terribly that plan B is seeing what Dermott and Liljegren turn into. But it's very possible we missed a big chance there.
It was also said with how great Dermott has played since being called up maybe that's why they didn't trade for another Defenseman.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It was also said with how great Dermott has played since being called up maybe that's why they didn't trade for another Defenseman.

not quite -- it's why they didn't bother picking up a depth defenceman. it's why they showed no interest in a guy like Mike Green or
Hjalmarsson, for instance...if you see Dermott blossoming into a top 4 role next year, there' s no point in going outside the org anymore.

they were clearly in on the bigger fish only. because that's all we need now; we have enough depth guys.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Not sad to miss out on McDonagh.

And those expecting JVR/Bozak/Leo to be dealt were always setting themselves up for a letdown.

We can beat anybody without deadline adds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad