Post Lockout Ad Campaign Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

skellart

Jan 24, 2005
Chattown
I think that after the deal is made, the NHL needs to aggressively advertise to attract non or casual fans to get more people interested in the game. I also think the fans can help by inviting people to watch games and explaining the rules. That's just a few suggestions. Lets see what you folks can come up with. Be creative. :)

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
skellart said:
I think that after the deal is made, the NHL needs to aggressively advertise to attract non or casual fans to get more people interested in the game. I also think the fans can help by inviting people to watch games and explaining the rules. That's just a few suggestions. Lets see what you folks can come up with. Be creative. :)
I would cater to fans love of other sports.
Start by showing a football QB in the pocket looking for a reciever and threading the needle. Blend that into a powerplay quaterback breaking down the defense and threading the needle on a great pass. Show a running back juking his way through traffic with incredible grace and speed. Follow that up with a wicked stickhandler weaving through traffic like a God. Closeup on a reciever blowing by a db to make a catch. Closeup on a speedy forward blowing by a d-man and recieving the long pass. That kind of stuff. Do it for hits, shots, passes, everything. Make one of Football, one of basketball, and even one of baseball. You want the fans to know why hockey is the most exciting sports? Show it to them.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I think if you are going with the idea of comparing sports then with Baseball to hockey. I would show the slowest parts of baseball, the pitcher standing there and little happening, shots of fans that aren't watching really at the moment. Then for hockey show all the speed and action in the game.

I know baseball isn't that boring, but it is not like advertising is about telling the complete truth about the competition is it.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
txomisc said:
I would cater to fans love of other sports.
Start by showing a football QB in the pocket looking for a reciever and threading the needle. Blend that into a powerplay quaterback breaking down the defense and threading the needle on a great pass. Show a running back juking his way through traffic with incredible grace and speed. Follow that up with a wicked stickhandler weaving through traffic like a God. Closeup on a reciever blowing by a db to make a catch. Closeup on a speedy forward blowing by a d-man and recieving the long pass. That kind of stuff. Do it for hits, shots, passes, everything. Make one of Football, one of basketball, and even one of baseball. You want the fans to know why hockey is the most exciting sports? Show it to them.
Unfortunately the infrequency of those plays in todays NHL would leave the NHL open to false advertising lawsuits. ;)

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
I actually just thought of a cool idea...get a superstar (Iginla or someone of that nature).

Show Iginla walking down a hallway, with a stick and puck. there is a door with the NHL logo on it, and a giant lock on the door. (lockout). Show Iginla winding up with a slapper, and busting the lock open, and then open the door, and cutscene to some insane hilites from past seasons.

AdvDave

Jan 27, 2005
Simply put...the NHL needs to promote faces. The NFL does it with Manning, Vick, T.O. Golf did it with Tiger and Mickelson. Do it with Iginla, St. Louis, and a big dude who hits hard (I like Chara). Show a highlight reel with them.

Crazy Lunatic

jtuzzi21 said:
I actually just thought of a cool idea...get a superstar (Iginla or someone of that nature).

Show Iginla walking down a hallway, with a stick and puck. there is a door with the NHL logo on it, and a giant lock on the door. (lockout). Show Iginla winding up with a slapper, and busting the lock open, and then open the door, and cutscene to some insane hilites from past seasons.

Or better yet, have it be Garry Bettman and instead of a door with a lock, it could be Bob Goodenows face. Garry winds up with a slap shot, hits Bob in the face and knocks him out, then Garry tuns to the camera and says "Asta La Vista, lockout."
:lol

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Something that pokes fun at itself.

You could run a commercial on NBC.

Have, say, Mario Lemieux or Joe Sakic (or someone else vaguely recognizable in the States), walking on a sidewalk in the middle of winter. He stops by a lightpole, takes a look at a sheet on the pole, and rips it off. Camera zooms in: "Looking for work?"

An old guy comes out of a door and asks "Need a job?"

Player smiles. "Sure, why not?"

Old guy opens the door revealing an arena and thousands of fans. "Welcome back."

Player throws the crumpled sheet on the floor. As he walks away, he looks back at the old man and asks with a smirk, "Wait, how much do I get paid?"

Old man shakes his head.

ArizonaGreenTea

Sep 8, 2004
Line up Niemenen, Messier, Bertuzzi, Ferrence (Brad), Belak, and Perezhogin on the blue line, three on each side. At this point it is important that they do a dramatic build up for the climax (ie shining the spotlights one at a time). They then blow a whistle and all six go at it royal rumble style on the ice, then a caption appears as the scene fades out; It's Not Just About the Game......

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
TaraLeone said:
Line up Niemenen, Messier, Bertuzzi, Ferrence (Brad), Belak, and Perezhogin on the blue line, three on each side. At this point it is important that they do a dramatic build up for the climax (ie shining the spotlights one at a time). They then blow a whistle and all six go at it royal rumble style on the ice, then a caption appears as the scene fades out; It's Not Just About the Game......

unless you give Perezhogin a stick, Bertuzzi wins in half a minute tops.

skellart

Jan 24, 2005
Chattown
kmad said:
unless you give Perezhogin a stick, Bertuzzi wins in half a minute tops.

Yeah but bertuzzi would have to wait until they turn around. :joker: Anyway, keep these coming. Interesting stuff. I love the old guy giving him a job idea. I'd have him in street clothes until the old guy opens the doors and you see the fans. When the camera switches back to the player he is fully dressed out with skates on.

I also thought it would be cool to do a thing with a bunch of players in the locker room getting their gear on and lacing up the skates. No head shots, just arms, legs, skates, you get the idea. No music, just the sounds of the room. They then walk down the corridor to the ice. There are no crowds, just the empty arena.(like it's the first practice after the lockout) When they walk out on to the ice they start slipping and falling & holding on to the walls and each other. Have a little girl then walk into the cameras view looking at the players and then turning to face the camera. "Their back" :joker:

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
Cloned said:
Something that pokes fun at itself.

You could run a commercial on NBC.

Have, say, Mario Lemieux or Joe Sakic (or someone else vaguely recognizable in the States), walking on a sidewalk in the middle of winter. He stops by a lightpole, takes a look at a sheet on the pole, and rips it off. Camera zooms in: "Looking for work?"

An old guy comes out of a door and asks "Need a job?"

Player smiles. "Sure, why not?"

Old guy opens the door revealing an arena and thousands of fans. "Welcome back."

Player throws the crumpled sheet on the floor. As he walks away, he looks back at the old man and asks with a smirk, "Wait, how much do I get paid?"

Old man shakes his head.

This one is pretty good.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
txomisc said:
nah, I suspect Perezhogin is safe as long as he doesn't turn his back on Bertuzzi.

ask Adam Foote, Barret Jackman, Karlis Skrastins, etc what Bertuzzi can do from the front :bow:

shOOt_the_mOOn

Jul 12, 2004
I read a great article at Insidehockey.com

Just a few items listed:

Relocating teams from nontraditional markets (Nashville, Pheonix, Carolina) to more traditional hockey markets (Winnepeg, Onterio).

Adding a European division.

Free admission following the lockout

Calling all obstructions to allow more flow to the game.

And one of the best yet, developing more HDTV for NHL games.

Well worth the read.

http://www.insidehockey.com/spinorama/2005_01_24.html

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
skellart said:
I think that after the deal is made, the NHL needs to aggressively advertise to attract non or casual fans to get more people interested in the game.

If you're doing something that pisses off your friends, the way to apologize once you've wised up and stoped doing it isn't to go look for more friends. Both sides need to spend a healthy amount of time kissing our asses after this is over before they start trying to convince Joe Football Fan to go to games.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
They need to do an add that spoofs the end Raiders of the Lost Ark. It can show Gary Bettman and Bob Goodenow opening up a box, signalling the breaking of the lockout and the beginning of a new era for the NHL. The box releases the ghosts of hockey past. As Daniel Alfredsson and Trevor Linden scream "DON'T LOOK! WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T LOOK!", the ghosts of Eddie Shore, Rocket Richard, Georges Vezina, and Toe Blake swirl all around and Robert Esche's face melts off and Bryan McCabe's head explodes.

Zhackpot

Feb 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
ESPN tried to educate fans about the game doesn't work.

Who cares about the rules break it down and make it very simple. To win you have to outscore the other team. To score your team has to get the puck in the opposing net more times than the opposition scores on your team.

Very simple.

What works is getting fans into the arenas. More promotions with the AHL, ECHL, CHL, UHL, USJHL, whatever freaking league is out there needs to be promoted. For the most part NHL teams are not in direct competition with these leagues.

Once people attend a hockey game the game itself can do the job. I've seen it happen here in Texas.

Also, more promotions to get fans from within a 3-4 hour radius of NHL cities to games. Package deals with hotels and restaurants, etc.

Once people find out they enjoy the games they will watch on TV. This increases TV revenue.

Marketing is all about getting people to try your product. Once they are there it is up to the League, teams, players, coaches, arena staff, etc. to work together and share ideas to make the product live up to expectations.

The biggest problem in the NHL is not doing more to get people to all the games on a league wide basis and sharing ideas and know-how will definitely make the job easier and more effective.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
shOOt_the_mOOn said:
Calling all obstructions to allow more flow to the game.

wouldn't this do the opposite?

they should show an nhl star getting suited up, then realizing he left his jock or shin pad in his car, walking out to get it and the arena door closes behind him...he retrieves said item, and walks back to the door...he grasps the door handle, turns it...and the door opens, to which *insert star player* replies with "whew, I almost got locked out"

market the hell out of jarome iginla...star quality, appeal that reaches across demographics...

get a video montage of people talking about how hockey is the best sport to catch live, coupled with great goals and hits...

gary bettman and bob goodenow pinatas at every arena...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad