Prospect Info: Post deadline prospect rankings

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
We have our future second pairing in Rykov, Lindgren, and Hajek.

Hell, we have our other second pairing guys in ADA and Pionk.

What we don't have are the top end defensemen. Unless Hajek's curve really does bring him there, we probably don't have them in the system. But that's fine and hopefully will be addressed.

But we could theoretically have six 3/4 defensemen under the age of 25 (including Skjei in that, obviously). That is fantastic depth. When you factor in that Skjei, Rykov, and Hajek all really have #2/3 potential, it looks even better.

Maybe we go the 3 2nd pair D route if e don't get a high end D.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Let's say we get to draft Adam Boqvist with our own pick, go for Dominik Bokk and Vitali Kravtsov, followed by Kaut with our own 2nd rounder... That gives us the following depth:

LW:
Kreider
Spooner
Bokk
Vesey

C:
Zibanejad
Hayes
Namestnikov
Andersson
Chytil
Nieves
Howden
Virta
Barron

RW:
Buchevich
Zuccarello
Fast
Kravtsov
Kaut
Ronning
Lettieri

LD:
Skjei
Staal
Smith
Gilmour
Hajek
Lindgren
Rykov

RD:
Shattenkirk
DeAngelo
Pionk
Boqvist
Bereglazov

And I have forgotten some of them even. But look at that depth where we acquired Pionk, DeAngelo, Hajek, Shattenkirk, Rykov, Lindgren, Bereglazov all on defense in the last 12 months.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Let's say we get to draft Adam Boqvist with our own pick, go for Dominik Bokk and Vitali Kravtsov, followed by Kaut with our own 2nd rounder... That gives us the following depth:

LW:
Kreider
Spooner
Bokk
Vesey

C:
Zibanejad
Hayes
Namestnikov
Andersson
Chytil
Nieves
Howden
Virta
Barron

RW:
Buchevich
Zuccarello
Fast
Kravtsov
Kaut
Ronning
Lettieri

LD:
Skjei
Staal
Smith
Gilmour
Hajek
Lindgren
Rykov

RD:
Shattenkirk
DeAngelo
Pionk
Boqvist
Bereglazov

And I have forgotten some of them even. But look at that depth where we acquired Pionk, DeAngelo, Hajek, Shattenkirk, Rykov, Lindgren, Bereglazov all on defense in the last 12 months.
Shafigullin with our other 2nd and Iskhakov with our 3rd and I'd be insanely happy. Boom bust guys but if they boom they'll be really good. We already have too many safe prospects

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
It's not the worst thing in the world and truthfully we'll be lucky if this works out as well as our last crop

But..

Our last crop ended up a bunch of solid guys, no game breakers. No studs

We really gotta find a way to get one.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
It's not the worst thing in the world and truthfully we'll be lucky if this works out as well as our last crop

But..

Our last crop ended up a bunch of solid guys, no game breakers. No studs

We really gotta find a way to get one.

McDonagh became the stud. True #1 D. We got some 1st line players out of it (Stepan, Kreider, Zucc).

Need two gamebreakers. All the top teams have two guys with at least several other 1st line talents.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
1) Chytil - Chytil is our youngest prospect, has the most impressive production regardless of age, and is our closest prospect to the NHL. He has elite size, skating ability, and playmaking ability and he defends responsibly. He's not only the best shot we have at an elite player, he's also the player who is most likely to be an NHL'er. If he were in the draft this year, I think he'd in the conversation with Svechnikov and Zadina for the 2, 3, or 4 picks. Their NHL equivalent production is 0.46 ppg (Svechnikov), 0.36 ppg (Zadina), and 0.35 ppg (Chytil). Chytil is 2 months older than Zadina and 6 months older than Svechnikov, but he plays a more valuable position and is performing at a level that's closer to the NHL.

2) Andersson - Andersson has also had impressive production in pro men's leagues and was great at the WJC, but he's 11 months older than Chytil, struggled at the beginning of his SHL season, and is a slower, smaller skater. Chytil has seemed to outperform him in prospect camp, NHL preseason, and the AHL.

3) Howden - his production at the WJC and in the OHL / AHL has been pretty comparable to Andersson's while there are similar questions about whether his skating ability and skill level will be above average. He also profiles similarly in terms of character and defensive responsibility. He's bigger, but he's 6 months older and another season out of the draft. Age / runway to develop trump size for me.

4) Rykov - He's already playing on an NHL-caliber team, he was in consideration for the Russian Olympic team that won the Gold medal at 20 years old, he wore a letter and scored a ppg at the WJC. He might not be elite offensively, but he's produced points at both the WJC and in the KHL and he has size and skates well. Strikes me as very similar to Hajek, just a year and a level closer to the NHL. In general, D prospects are tougher to project than forwards.

5) Hajek - Was the Czech teams best defenseman at the WJC and held his own against the best players his age while scoring more than a ppg. Point production in the WHL is unexceptional, but size and skating ability are strong and has the potential to be a shut-down type defender.

6) Shestyorkin - Nothing against him specifically, but goalies are just tougher to predict and only a few exceptions are as valuable as top players at other positions in the NHL.

The big issue with our farm system for me is that outside of Chytil, I think most of our best prospects seem to have ceilings as #2 centers / defensemen, and typically you need elite #1 type players to win the cup. If the Rangers are going to get the elite #1 type players they need to be a strong cup contender, I think they'll need some luck in the draft, prospect development, and/or trades in the future.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Mine

Shesterkin
Chytil
Hajek
Andersson
Howden
DeAngelo
Rykov
Lindgren
Ronning
Huska

Honorable mentions:

Georgiev who’s shown me a lot. I like him as a back up option.

Ryan Gropp. I know I know but I still like him. Want to give him a bit more time.

Last edited:

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'll take a stab at it:

1. Andersson
  2. Chytil
  3. Sheshyorkin
  4. Howden
  5. ADA
  6. Hajek
  7. Rykov
  8. Pionk
  9. Lindgren
  10. Ronning
How I see it:

• 3 potential top 6 centers in Andersson, Chytil and Howden. Hope one of the 3 turns into a #1 center, not likely though IMO.
  • A potential franchise goalie
  • 5 potential 2nd pair dmen. I think Hajek is the only one that has top pair potential, though odds are low. He is true boom/bust.
  • 1 middle 6 winger in Ronning.
Add in 3 more firsts (one of which could be quite high) and 2 more 2nds (if they keep all picks) and thats a quality system right there. One could argue if they get Dahlin/Svechinkov/Zadina it's top 5 in the league.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
My top 20 is as follows:

1. Chytil
2. Shestyorkin
3. Andersson
4. Pionk
5. Georgiev
6. DeAngelo
7. Howden
8. Lindgren
9. Hajek
10. Ronning
11. Rykov
12. Day
13. Barron
14. Gilmour
15. Lettieri
16. Crawley
17. Virta
18. Gettinger
19. Sjalin
20. Huska

My problem is people putting guys like Howden over Andersson or Hajek/Day/Rykov over Pionk. Most of these guys haven't played professional hockey as of yet. People tend to value prospects that do great against kids more than prospects that do good or ok against men.

That being said, I'm not against putting guys with higher ceilings and lower floors ahead of older guys with lower ceilings and higher floors. For example, putting someone like Day or Ronning ahead of someone like Gilmour makes sense, since guys like Gilmour don't have as much upside, even though they are better right now.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I think some are underrating Rykov. He's a more talented defenseman than Lindgren and Hajek, in my opinion. He's also producing for the best team outside the NHL. The other two are good, but NCAA and WHL are not trying to get into SKA's team.
I want to like Rykov, but I'm not as high on him as I used to be. I hear that his best asset is his breakout pass, and that he's not really great at anything else. Just average. I would love to be proven wrong, but as of now, I don't see it. Also, it worries me that he'll stay in Russia.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
That upside with Lindgren is there if he can skate at an elite level. IMO I like Samberg more on the US junior team, but Lindgren is a reliable option. If he can get that extra step, then the offense will come in the Pros.

One thing to note with Lindgren is that he plays half his games on an Olympic rink. So it's a different beast offensively. Far less offense from defense in those conditions.

Same thing happened with Skjei, and he scored 39 points as a rookie.
Exactly. Lindgren's speed and untapped offensive potential (due to playing on a larger rink) is exactly why I'm pretty high on him. We still have no idea if his development pattern will even remotely resemble Skjei's, so I'm not going to say he's going to produce good offensive numbers at the NHL level just yet. However, the highlights I saw of him looked promising. When he was playing for USA, his puck-moving and passing was very impressive for someone labeled as a "defensive defenseman." And he didn't look out of place when he was playing on the power play.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Forgive me. I never want to be too far out of the group think.

From what I saw in the regular season , and heard in previous discussions , Anderson was our top prospect and Chytyl was a little lower on the chart.

Now since we have Russian and Kovy might come to entice other Russians , is Chytyl now more in favor because he’s from a former Soviet block and has a Cyrillic name, and has Andersson fell out of favor as the Lundqvist error draws close to its end , so Swedes are less sexy now?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

From what I saw in the regular season , and heard in previous discussions , Anderson was our top prospect and Chytyl was a little lower on the chart.

Lias is almost a full year older than Chytil. They were at best equal this year, but I'd say Chytil was better. I bet next season Chytil will be much better than Lias was this year.

Lias is much safer and should be at a minimum a third liner even if he barely improves from now on. But Chytil has a much higher ceiling. He's our only prospect with first line potential. He can be an outright bust, so it's up to you if you prefer ceiling or safety.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Lias is almost a full year older than Chytil. They were at best equal this year, but I'd say Chytil was better. I bet next season Chytil will be much better than Lias was this year.

Lias is much safer and should be at a minimum a third liner even if he barely improves from now on. But Chytil has a much higher ceiling. He's our only prospect with first line potential. He can be an outright bust, so it's up to you if you prefer ceiling or safety.

So not the Russian bias, its the "shiny new toy" syndrome.

I knew it was something. My echo chamber antennae were on fire.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Now since we have Russian and Kovy might come to entice other Russians , is Chytyl now more in favor because he’s from a former Soviet block and has a Cyrillic name, and has Andersson fell out of favor as the Lundqvist error draws close to its end , so Swedes are less sexy now?

How do you manage to misspell names of BOTH of our highest ranked prospects?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
My top 20 is as follows:

1. Chytil
2. Shestyorkin
3. Andersson
4. Pionk
5. Georgiev
6. DeAngelo
7. Howden
8. Lindgren
9. Hajek
10. Ronning
11. Rykov
12. Day
13. Barron
14. Gilmour
15. Lettieri
16. Crawley
17. Virta
18. Gettinger
19. Sjalin
20. Huska

My problem is people putting guys like Howden over Andersson or Hajek/Day/Rykov over Pionk. Most of these guys haven't played professional hockey as of yet. People tend to value prospects that do great against kids more than prospects that do good or ok against men.

That being said, I'm not against putting guys with higher ceilings and lower floors ahead of older guys with lower ceilings and higher floors. For example, putting someone like Day or Ronning ahead of someone like Gilmour makes sense, since guys like Gilmour don't have as much upside, even though they are better right now.

There are a number of guys running under the radar or that we don't know very much at all of right now. Anyway you're missing Nieves who the Rangers gave a 28 game trial to this year with somewhat mixed results but more okay/good than bad and IMO it's not that hard to see him doing a steady 4th line C role in the NHL for several years. Chris Bigras is only 22 with minimal NHL time with Colorado has had some injury issues. It's possible he could be in the mix in the near future. Gabriel Fontaine--yeah his numbers in Hartford aren't really gaudy but he's a heads up Dominic Moore type player who might also fill a 4th line C role for us. The jury is out on Ryan Gropp still. Not a great season but he did finish kind of strong.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Are we gonna poll a new ranking? or after the draft?

After the preseason. Nobody really knows much about the new guys or the draftees we'll get this summer except a couple old scouting reports. During the preseason, we can watch Howden, Hajek, Lindgren, Crawley, Ronning, Day, Gettinger, our draftees plus the returning guys: Georgiev, Chytil, Lias, Vinni, Boo, Pionk, DeAngelo, Gilmour. Watching 25 prospects, almost all the best ones except Shesterkin, will give us a much better feel for things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad