Line Combos: Post-Boogaloo Canes lineup

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
So, it appears that the NHL is steaming ahead towards a season re-start in the summer months. A lot is still up in the air of course, and who knows where everything will be in a few weeks in terms of a global pandemic, but I think we will have some semblance of NHL hockey back in a month or two.

With that in mind and as a needed distraction for myself, I want to start up a thread about what the Canes may look like if they actually end up back on the ice this year. If the speculation I’ve seen is true-that players might start informal workouts by mid-May and that there will be 2-3 week training camps (virus-permitting), I think CAR might be uniquely set up to take advantage to have all that time to fully integrate Skjei, Trocheck and Vatanen, as well as getting Hamilton back. Conversely, teams in direct competition for a playoff spot like CBJ and NYR will also get key pieces back like Jones and Krieder, thus giving them a similar boost.

So, onto post-season pause/post-worst-of-COVID lines:

Svechnikov-Aho-Teravainen
Dzingel/Niederreiter-Trocheck-Necas
Foegele-Staal-Williams
McGinn-Geekie-Martnook/Niederreiter/Dzingel

I think that Dzingel is the odd man out at the moment, but I’d also really like to see him line up with Necas again. Assuming Geekie has a good camp, I don’t see how you could bump him.

Also, I wonder if any AHL guys will come to a camp as well. Guys like Lorentz and Bishop could provide depth as you’re sure to have someone get hurt.

On D:

Slavin-Hamilton
Fleury-Skjei
Gardiner-Vatanen

That’s probably quite unrealistic, but it’s what I’d want to see. I’d keep Gardiner in for his PP
contributions alone, and Fleury had certainly been outplaying Edmundson and TVR up to the pause.

Here too, you have interesting AHL options in Bean and Keane who will very likely not be playing anywhere else until next season.

In goal is where there’s really no controversy-Mrazek and Reimer, both healthy as 1a and 1b

Assuming there is not a rash of injuries from guys not playing for 2-3 months, I really like this team’s chances at a playoff spot and their chances once they get there, on paper at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Man to Edmundson and lose out on a playoff run again. The practices would be INTENSE with that much competition.

That defense is stacked. The team would be a monster with any of Staal, Nino, and/or Dzingel producing with everyone else.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I expect that if the season resumes, that Pesce will try to get back to playing by August. Then, we can run this:

Slavin-Hamilton
Skjei-Pesce
Gardiner-Vatanen

Every single pairing with at least one possession monster and puck-moving skills throughout the lineup. Maybe the single-best defense ever assembled in the cap era. Insanity!

As for forwards, I see something like this:

Dzingel-Trocheck-Necas
Niederreiter-Staal-Williams
Foegele-Martinook-McGinn

I could even see us taking a page from Quenneville and have Fleury/Eddy/TVR enter our forward core in some capacity in order to boost our PK unit, as if we needed any more of that LMAO! Maybe even run a Fleury-Martinook-TVR 4th line that essentially looks like a 4th D-pairing on the ice (Dzingel and McGinn would be benched in that scenario).

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Gardiner-Vatanen pairing... pleasegodno.gif

Also, that's not even close to the best defense in the cap era unless Gardiner and Skjei learn how to defense again

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Gardiner-Vatanen pairing... pleasegodno.gif

Also, that's not even close to the best defense in the cap era unless Gardiner and Skjei learn how to defense again

Gardiner knows plenty about how to defend. He has some of the best possession metrics on the team, and also has improved his play by quite a bit in the 2nd half. The biggest question mark on this defense, IMHO, is actually Skjei and Vatanen, at least in terms of 5-on-5 play. Skjei, however, did do quite well with his possession metrics, relatively speaking, since the trade, though that was a very small sample size.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Gardiner knows plenty about how to defend. He has some of the best possession metrics on the team, and also has improved his play by quite a bit in the 2nd half. The biggest question mark on this defense, IMHO, is actually Vatanen, at least in terms of 5-on-5 play.
It's good that he has improved his play after we decided to hide him on the bottom pairing but he's still a liability against any team that can skate or forecheck. But yeah, your concerns with Vatanen are exactly why I don't like that pairing at all. We need a babysitter for both of them, putting them together seems like it would be a disaster.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
It's good that he has improved his play after we decided to hide him on the bottom pairing but he's still a liability against any team that can skate or forecheck. But yeah, your concerns with Vatanen are exactly why I don't like that pairing at all. We need a babysitter for both of them, putting them together seems like it would be a disaster.

It's quite obvious, based on both possession metrics and my own eye test, that Gardiner has no issue with keeping up the play at even-strength, particularly in the offensive zone. Pairing him with Vatanen would actually IMO be a way to shelter Vatanen, as his 5-on-5 metrics are mediocre at best. Gardiner's big issue is gaffes that lead to an unusually large amount of high-danger chances. The long COVID-19 pause, BTW, should also help with the back concerns, at least for now.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
It's quite obvious, based on both possession metrics and my own eye test, that Gardiner has no issue with keeping up the play at even-strength, particularly in the offensive zone. I disagree with the notion that he needs to be sheltered, but that's a personal opinion. His big issue is gaffes that lead to an unusually large amount of high-danger chances. The long COVID-19 pause, BTW, should also help with the back concerns, at least for now.
The coaching staff seems to disagree based on the fact they do shelter him. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, he has certainly improved now that they are asking less of him, but he still doesn't look that good to me with his labored skating and poor mobility. But I still hope the coaching staff can make it work somehow.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
The coaching staff seems to disagree based on the fact they do shelter him. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, he has certainly improved now that they are asking less of him, but he still doesn't look that good to me with his labored skating and poor mobility. But I still hope the coaching staff can make it work somehow.

I do respect Brind'Amour and his relatively conservative lineup tendencies, and it has led to plenty of success over the last couple of years, however, I do think that it does sometimes lead to under-utilization of certain players that don't fit the exact mold that Brind'Amour and Co. want. IMO, that's what he should work on adapting to, particularly with guys like Gardiner or Dzingel.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'll be interested to see how Gardiner looks whenever things resume. While I think he got much better as time went on this season, he was still not skating great at all times. He missed time right before the season started. I think there was some speculation about whether he'd need time off or minor surgery, but he ended up playing. I wonder if he's been playing with some sort of minor injury or discomfort all year. Wonder if the time off well have done him some good.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I think that a cool lineup to potentially try out is a Quenneville-style "4th Line of Defense", where some combination of Fleury/Eddy/TVR are placed on Martinook's wings. I think that it would be a good way to get the best 20-man lineup into every single game. Here's what that proposed lineup would look like without Pesce:

Foegele-Trocheck-Necas
Edmundson-Staal-Williams
Fleury-Martinook-Niederreiter/Dzingel/McGinn

Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Vatanen
Skjei-Van Riemsdyk

And with Pesce:

Foegele-Trocheck-Necas
Fleury/Dzingel/McGinn-Martinook-Van Riemsdyk/Dzingel/McGinn

Slavin-Hamilton
Skjei-Pesce
Gardiner-Vatanen

You can then incorporate those with more traditional lineups depending on the team, such as:

Dzingel-Trocheck-Necas
Foegele-Martinook-McGinn

Slavin-Hamilton
Fleury/Edmundson/Skjei-Skjei/Van Riemsdyk
Gardiner-Vatanen

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad