News Article: possible transactions

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
for better or for worse, i think we're still going to be in the playoff picture come deadline day, and i reckon that holland will want to keep his best players. if anything, i see us being buyers rather than sellers. i'm not in favour of tanking and i'm proud of our playoff record, but imo it would be foolish to keep hold of UFA vanek. i think we might end up keeping him, but for vanek i'd be happy to deal for a 1st. realistically, i think we're looking at a 2nd and a 3rd (or sth) with a condition attached which could see the 2nd become a 1st. i dunno.

green, i dont see leaving, and i'm happy with him staying for another year tbh.

smith and jurco, at this stage, i think we take whatever and run.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Ok. So Larkin is nothing that Ottawa woiuld want? Tatr or Nyquist are crape too..Ceci is a capable 3 and a good 4 who can improve with time.

Why on God's green earth would you offer LARKIN in this deal? Holland wouldn't trade him for Trouba, who is multiple times superior a player than Ceci. They balked at trading him for Fowler or Shattenkirk or Myers, again, all of whom have legitimate top pairing upside, not "he's okay on a middle pairing, so he can maybe develop because he's 22" upside like Ceci.

Larkin, Smith, and Jurco for any package headlined by Cody Ceci is absurd. There is no way the most valuable piece coming back is Cody ****ing Ceci if the Wings move on from Larkin.

Tatar and Nyquist, for lack of a better term and only in comparison to what they were, are crap now. They're not 25-30g wingers anymore when it comes to deal, they're borderline 20g guys, one of whom has a 4.75M contract for several more years and one who is going to be looking for something in that neighborhood.

Ceci is a poor man's Danny DeKeyser. If they're moving multiple assets and one of them is Dylan Larkin, they have to get a better damn player than Cody Ceci. A better player than an okay 3 or good 4.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Every so often I'll google "red wings trade rumors" just to see/read what the talks are

Found a link with a few proposals and felt like sharing to see the feedback

It listed 3 trades

Vanek to the kings for
Rw matt luff (ohl)
2017 2nd
2018 2nd

Smith and jurco to Ottawa

For curtis lazar c/rw
2017 3rd

And green to carolina
For ryan murphy
Rw sergey tolchinski
2017 2nd

Here was the link
http://puckprose.com/2017/02/06/nhl-trade-deadline-detroit-red-wings-outlook-fits/

Thomas Vanek for Matt Luff+LA's 2017 2nd+2018 2nd- I would probably consider that trade.

Smith+Jurco for Curtis Lazar- Not sure about that one i think Lazar has bust written all over him.

Mike Green for Ryan Murphy+Sergey Tolchinski+2nd- No thanks not interested in Murphy and any thing not bringing back a 1st for Green is totally unacceptable. Plus i doubt Green would waive his NTC for Carolina any ways.

Only the LA trade would i consider, Ottawa and Carolina no thanks.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I haven't been paying much attention to the Red Wings. What has been the effect of Babcock's departure on their present standing in the Atlantic Division?

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
I haven't been paying much attention to the Red Wings. What has been the effect of Babcock's departure on their present standing in the Atlantic Division?

Is this one of your better 16,000 posts?

The "effect" is that Blashill got Babcock's locker but Holland had to order all new RedWings gear for him.

And we're just a "plan" and a few goals away from a really good power play. Last night's power play exhibition by the Wings was truly a thing of beauty to behold. We've learned how to draw other teams into penalties because they foolishly think our power play is really terrible and that they're better off at 4 on 5 because there's little chance of us doing anything.

Great post. Thanks so much for asking.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Closer to the trade deadline now and it looks more and more like the Red Wings will be sellers.

I can see Vanek going to Ottawa, especially with Ryan out for 6-8 weeks with a broken finger. He should at least get a 2nd, maybe a 2nd and Phil Varone (37 pts in 47 games in the AHL) would be a good deal.

I can also see Smith and Sheahan going together to a team that needs depth, maybe Edmonton or the Bruins. A 2nd also for both would be a great deal.

And lastly, Jurco to Chicago or St Louis makes some sense. They need depth also and Jurco has been snake-bitten, he needs to go somewhere else to get a boost.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
The Vanek deal is great imo. If this upcoming draft was stronger, I'd hold out for a 1st, but since it is a weaker draft two 2nd's is very solid actually one of which being in 2018 which will be deeper in talent.

I'd easily do the second deal. Lazar could still be a success.

Hell no to the third. Green is a very good defenseman. He's IMO a top 4 guy... probably even top pairing on certain contending teams. He's our only excellent defenseman in my eyes. Then again, I've always liked him and have been overly biased for him.
- 1st or nothing. 2017 or 2018

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Green and Jurco to Ottawa for Lazar would be pretty great. Lazar is a legit middle-6 player and is right handed too.

Or, if Ottawa is still interested in some help, a bigger trade of Vanek, trade Smith, Jurco and Vanek for Lazar and a 2017 1st.

This team needs a second Riley Sheahan who doesn't even get assists. The offer was Smith and Jurco in the OP.

I know he's young, but he's been terrible this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
What is with the Lazar obsession here? Are people being blinded by his draft hype? The kid has the hockey IQ of a goal post. He's like a future Drew Miller. Wouldn't waste anything on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad