News Article: possible transactions

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
It's still preferable to have 25 teams in the "wait and see" and only 5 teams selling versus 15 buyers and 15 sellers. The number of contenders and buyers likely remains static, but the fewer sellers there are the better return we can hope to get.

And my post was about the ideal, not what actually occurs. Ideally we'd want as many buyers as possible and as few sellers. So anyone saying they want "separation" is only hurting the sellers, us.

Ideally sure. But the reality is most of those teams in limbo won't pull the trigger now (or later) so ideals are a moot point.

I could see Islanders and LA having some interest in buying if they are on the outside but we have also seen teams on the inside sell off pending UFAs the last few seasons as well.

Bottom line is you aren't going to find 20+ potential buyers regardless of when you do your sale.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Just a little reminder from history: the Islanders hung on to Vanek just a little too long and got virtually nothing from the Canadians.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Just a little reminder from history: the Islanders hung on to Vanek just a little too long and got virtually nothing from the Canadians.

That's back when Vanek was still a younger star scorer. His playoff disappointments and rough stint in Minnesota have left him a question mark.

Getting a pair of 2nds would be more than fair.

Although, I'll believe it when I see it. I feel like Vanek will be part of the team next year.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Nope. A good to great prospect or Green plus smith or jurco for Ceci And a second?

If we have a good to great prospect I want to keep him more than I want Cody Ceci

Last edited by a moderator:

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
Pretty sure Green has a NTC, so he'd have to agree to a trade. I can't see getting anything of value back for Smith and or Jurco.

The only change that would get me truly excited is Holland being fired and getting a new GM and coach.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That's back when Vanek was still a younger star scorer. His playoff disappointments and rough stint in Minnesota have left him a question mark.

Getting a pair of 2nds would be more than fair.

Although, I'll believe it when I see it. I feel like Vanek will be part of the team next year.

I hope Vanek is a part of the team next year if we move him by the deadline. I would welcome him back on July 1 again in a heartbeat. The old Keith Tkachuk or Doug Weight trade.

I think Vanek's playoff history is going to make a 1st rounder extremely unlikely. As others have noted Mike Green should not be moved without a first rounder involved and something else.

Everyone here would do the Ottawa one and that is without most realizing that Lazar is extremely underwhelming at this point. That also points to the fact it is likely a really bad deal that Ottawa fans will crush people for if it really is on the table.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Pretty sure Green has a NTC, so he'd have to agree to a trade. I can't see getting anything of value back for Smith and or Jurco.

The only change that would get me truly excited is Holland being fired and getting a new GM and coach.

To be clear Holland is still only ever getting asked to move upstairs. I know the hate is at an all-time high, but there is really no scenario where he doesn't have a role in the organization. Which frankly he earned.

I guess there is a scenario where they ask him to move upstairs and he refuses and takes a job with another team. But the crowd of people hoping that there is some spectacular ending to this are in for disappointment in my opinion. We are not even sure his seat is even warming in terms of the Ilitch family. My guess is it isn't really even a consideration right now to move on from Holland, but I guess we will find out.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I am not sure who you say is good or
Great

Basically I'm saying the only type of ammunition that we have that could be added to Smith and Jurco to land Ceci and anything would be AA/Mantha/Larkin and that's way too much for me.

Anything other than those guys are either too far away to have the value needed and/or willingness from Detroit to move (Cholo, Hronek), would be a very underwhelming piece (Sproul, Jensen, Hicketts, etc), or is the first that we don't want to trade.

Smith, Jurco and second doesn't do it. You can't just package the crap you don't want to get something you do. And if I'm selling Green, I'm selling him separately from a Smith + Jurco package, because he alone will likely garner a similar package to what all three would draw.

Also, I'm not super impressed by Ceci,

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Basically I'm saying the only type of ammunition that we have that could be added to Smith and Jurco to land Ceci and anything would be AA/Mantha/Larkin and that's way too much for me.

Anything other than those guys are either too far away to have the value needed and/or willingness from Detroit to move (Cholo, Hronek), would be a very underwhelming piece (Sproul, Jensen, Hicketts, etc), or is the first that we don't want to trade.

Smith, Jurco and second doesn't do it. You can't just package the crap you don't want to get something you do. And if I'm selling Green, I'm selling him separately from a Smith + Jurco package, because he alone will likely garner a similar package to what all three would draw.

Also, I'm not super impressed by Ceci,

I don't want to get rid of AA or AM. The others are ok.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I don't want to get rid of AA or AM. The others are ok.

They're okay by you. I can't see Ottawa being interested in crap, crap, and a far away prospect (who easily could be crap) for Cody Ceci and a 2nd.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
for me

vanek for pouliot and a 2nd

smith and jurco for lazar and a 3rd

green @50% for a 1st and jones

tatar for fabbro(basis of deal adds can be adjusted)

howard for niemi and honka(basis of deal adds can be adjusted)

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
If we're moving Green. We're getting a 1st. If we're moving Vanek, we're getting a 1st.

That's always been the asking price for players like that at the deadline. Why is it when the Wings are selling their players don't warrant the same as past years?

Exactly. No way we should move either of them for anything but #1.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don't see us trading Green. Really no reason to. The amount of teams prepared to move assets for him and being able to protect him in expansion draft has to be very limited. He'll still help us a lot next season and if we stink, move him at next year's TDL.

I want a 1st for Vanek. That package for Smith/Jurco is good though, I'll be happy with any value for those two.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
To be clear Holland is still only ever getting asked to move upstairs. I know the hate is at an all-time high, but there is really no scenario where he doesn't have a role in the organization. Which frankly he earned.

I guess there is a scenario where they ask him to move upstairs and he refuses and takes a job with another team. But the crowd of people hoping that there is some spectacular ending to this are in for disappointment in my opinion. We are not even sure his seat is even warming in terms of the Ilitch family. My guess is it isn't really even a consideration right now to move on from Holland, but I guess we will find out.

I didn't say I expected it to happen. Just that is what I hoped would happen. I think he deserved a shot at trying things his way and "rebuild on the fly". It has not been successful. Plenty of iconic coaches/GMs have lost their jobs. I know it's not the "Red Wing way", but it may be time to change their ways. I also don't think that wanting Holland and or Blashill fired means you "hate" them. I gave Holland the benefit of the doubt for a long time, but it's pretty clear he doesn't have a vision for the future and he hasn't figured out how to bring in young players and develop them and to move on from 3rd line character guys he's trying to lean on like HOF guys nor had he figured out how to balance the salary cap and get over his addiction of handing out long term deals to underserving players.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
This team will probably ****ing protect Kronwall and Ericsson....

Holland would be foolish to protect either Kronwall or Ericsson, The odds that both wont wind up on LTIR for the next 2-3 years is pretty high. Not sure if i even protect Green right now DeKeyser and a couple of our younger D's more then likely like Ouellet and Sproul.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Holland did protect them, with their contract terms and amounts.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
They're okay by you. I can't see Ottawa being interested in crap, crap, and a far away prospect (who easily could be crap) for Cody Ceci and a 2nd.

Ok. So Larkin is nothing that Ottawa woiuld want? Tatr or Nyquist are crape too..Ceci is a capable 3 and a good 4 who can improve with time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->