possible solution to CBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

problemsolver

Feb 4, 2005
I think there may be a solution that doesn't involve any salary caps or
luxury taxes. People should always be paid based on their performance
over a year. Most businesses have some kind of performance review.

I was thinking of something along these lines:

These salaries would be for wingers and centerman. Salaries are over a
80 game schedule and can be pro-rated for injuries during the year. So
30 goals scored over 40 games would be equivalent to a 60 goal scorer
over 80 if an injury occured that would make a player miss the rest of
the seaon. I'm sure there is some kind of insurance that would cover the difference.

0-19 goal scorer should get $750,000 a year. Bonuses of $10,000 per
assist over 20.
A 20-29 goal scorer should get $1,000,000 a year. Bonuses of $10,000 per
assist over 20.
A 30-39 goal scorer should get $1,500,000 a year. Bonuses of $10,000 per
assist over 20.
A 40-49 goal scorer should get $2,250,000. Bonuses of $10,000 per assist
over 20.
A 50-59 goal scorer should get $3,000,000. Bonuses of $10,000 per assist
over 20.
A 60+ goal scorer should get $3,750,000. Bonuses of $10,000 per assist
over 20.

Defenseman can be rated on a plus/minus system with bonuses for goals
and assists.

Goalies can be rated by goals against with bonuses for games won over a
certain amount.

Baseline is if you have a great previous season, you get a great raise for next season.
If you have a poor season, you get paid accordingly.

I believe you would find that players wouldn't shift around the league
because all salaries would be consistent with all teams. I think you
may find that overall salary cost for the teams would be fairly
consistent from year to year.

problemsolver

Feb 4, 2005
Additional addon:

You can allow players to have exclusive sponsorship contracts outside of the NHL like they have in Golf.

I'm sure some players like Jarome Iginla would make a couple of million more or so from Nike and other sporting companies.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
problemsolver said:
I think there may be a solution that doesn't involve any salary caps or
luxury taxes. People should always be paid based on their performance
over a year. Most businesses have some kind of performance review.

I was thinking of something along these lines:

These salaries would be for wingers and centerman. Salaries are over a
80 game schedule and can be pro-rated for injuries during the year. So
30 goals scored over 40 games would be equivalent to a 60 goal scorer
over 80 if an injury occured that would make a player miss the rest of
the seaon. I'm sure there is some kind of insurance that would cover the difference.

0-19 goal scorer should get $750,000 a year. Bonuses of $10,000 per
assist over 20.
A 20-29 goal scorer should get $1,000,000 a year. Bonuses of $10,000 per
assist over 20.
A 30-39 goal scorer should get $1,500,000 a year. Bonuses of $10,000 per
assist over 20.
A 40-49 goal scorer should get $2,250,000. Bonuses of $10,000 per assist
over 20.
A 50-59 goal scorer should get $3,000,000. Bonuses of $10,000 per assist
over 20.
A 60+ goal scorer should get $3,750,000. Bonuses of $10,000 per assist
over 20.

Defenseman can be rated on a plus/minus system with bonuses for goals
and assists.

Goalies can be rated by goals against with bonuses for games won over a
certain amount.

Baseline is if you have a great previous season, you get a great raise for next season.
If you have a poor season, you get paid accordingly.

I believe you would find that players wouldn't shift around the league
because all salaries would be consistent with all teams. I think you
may find that overall salary cost for the teams would be fairly
consistent from year to year.
huh?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i might as well bring it up before someone else does...

i think the issues with purely performance based contracts will be that it promotes individual play and selfishness. players want to run up their stats to make more money, they'll try to "steal" points from teammates if they can, and ultimately not buy into defensive systems and such because they want to pad their stats

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
Way too many variables here...
How to account for intagibles? The worth of an Yzerman,Sakic, type player goes well beyond any statistics they put up.
Using this plan, do you think forwards would have any desire what so ever to play defence (granted this would make the game more exciting, but also tick off the D-men and Goalies who earn money based on fewer goals allowed)
Plus, it would just open it up to all kinds of trickery. Last game of the season, player's sitting on 49 goals, oops, better tell the coach to sit him for this one.
What about a goalie like Luongo? Goals Against does not necessarily make for a good goalie.

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
i think the issues with purely performance based contracts will be that it promotes individual play and selfishness.

I agree. Let's imagine this scenario if you will: It's the last game of the season and a team like say, Boston, needs to win to clinch that eighth and final playoff spot. The game is tied and Brian Rolston, who has 19 goals so far, looking for #20 to give him an extra $250,000 in bonuses. He is on a 2 on 1 rush up ice in which he does not have a clear shot on net, yet his teammate does. Rolston, instead of passing the puck to a teammate who has a clear shot on a half-empty net, takes the shot himself and it's blocked. If Boston does not win that game, they will always look at that shot on goal by Rolston as selfish and individualistic.

Now, I know the circumstances in the above mentioned scenario are rigidly defined, but this is one example of many instances in NHL play where individual incentives will affect the on-ice judgement of a player. Can we really count on players to think "team first" if their livelihood is so contingent on individual achievement rather than team success?

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
I am completely against any proposal that links salaries directly to on ice stats, but this one takes the cake. I am not even going to get into most of it because I have already posted elsewhere, but one thing this proposal has that others have not is the idea of prorating the contracts. What about the AHLer who gets a callup in March and scores 1 goal in 2 games, is he getting paid like a 40 goal scorer? Even if you say no, than why is he still making 750k for 2 games of service?

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
alexmorrison said:
How to account for intagibles? The worth of an Yzerman,Sakic, type player goes well beyond any statistics they put up.
Using this plan, do you think forwards would have any desire what so ever to play defence (granted this would make the game more exciting, but also tick off the D-men and Goalies who earn money based on fewer goals allowed)
Plus, it would just open it up to all kinds of trickery. Last game of the season, player's sitting on 49 goals, oops, better tell the coach to sit him for this one.
What about a goalie like Luongo? Goals Against does not necessarily make for a good goalie.

Every no-look pass nets you an additional $10k. Duh. :shakehead :joker: :joker:

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
alexmorrison said:

Team captains get more money than assistant captains, who get more money than regular roster players...

IMO, I think it is definitely possible to define, measure, and track both tangible and intangible variables to determine a player's true worth to an individual team (and the NHL as a whole)...

But, I'm not in the mood today to debate :innocent: and the true voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in seeing the old landscapes with new eyes... I just hope the NHL and the NHLPA are able to come to an agreement based on their formal proposals...

problemsolver

Feb 4, 2005
Why the heck does the NHL even keep stats if they are meaningless anyways and if they can't used to show a player's worth to a team.

We all know players like Holik, Hull, etc aren't worth their weight in gold or better yet silver based on their previous years play.

By having a players salary weighted to their stats. These players won't play like a girl on some nights because they broke a nail or had a tummy ache. Guaranteed high priced long term contracts give players excuses not to play well on any given night.

I'm sure most of us work for companies or know someone that goes thru performance reviews every year to determine if they are worth more than the year before.

problemsolver

Feb 4, 2005
another thing...

IF the players just got their heads out of the sand; they would have earned millions, yes millions of dollars playing this year and next instead of making thousands , yes thousands of dollars playing in some industrial league.... wow, these nhl players are sooo smart.

The players could have agreed to a short term salary cap CBA of perhaps 3 years to see how the league revenues would changeand use that as a basis for the next round of negotations in the future.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Well considering the players aren't accepting the CBA proposals from the NHL because they want a 'market', I think the odds of them accepting this fascist idea are about as good as me boning Jessica Alba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad