OT: Possible NBA Team In Edmonton

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
For an NBA team to work here, there would need to be one in Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle, and possibly Winnipeg or Saskatchewan as well.

Part of the reason the Trappers left is because the Cannons and the Canadians left their cities.

Edmonton is an Oiler city, not a sports. The Esks' are a nice distraction over the summer, but even their attendance is starting to dwindle.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
For an NBA team to work here, there would need to be one in Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle, and possibly Winnipeg or Saskatchewan as well.

Part of the reason the Trappers left is because the Cannons and the Canadians left their cities.

Edmonton is an Oiler city, not a sports. The Esks' are a nice distraction over the summer, but even their attendance is starting to dwindle.
That's more because that was a league with little budget room for travel. A pro team such as the NBA wouldn't have to worry about paying travel costs.

It still wouldn't work, but it wouldn't be due to travel issues.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

A big part of the reason these smaller leagues always fail here is because the travel costs are too high.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I can't find it and very unrelated, but is the Fath Group bringing soccer back again? I heard something on 1260 about "this segment brought to you by FC Edmonton" last week.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Is this like the league the Edmonton Energy played in?

Don't know much about that league, but this new league is focussed only on Canada and will be summer ball. It is formed by some people with CFL experience along with some Basketball people. It will have some ratio rules like CFL as well. I'm doubtful it will amount to much as the talent will be a challenge with most NBA teams having G league teams now and there have been many fledgling Basketball leagues that never seem to catch. But it would be cool if it did.

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think Edmonton getting a basketball team would be more realistic as a branch of a Canadian league like the CFL. The CBA or something. The NBA would never come here.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I think Edmonton getting a basketball team would be more realistic as a branch of a Canadian league like the CFL. The CBA or something. The NBA would never come here.

See above. CEBL is such a league and Edmonton is one of the inaugural teams. The leagues start next May.

Funny you mention CFL as Mike Morreale is one of the driving forces behind it and wants to structure it similar to CFL with rules around ratios and such.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I can't find it and very unrelated, but is the Fath Group bringing soccer back again? I heard something on 1260 about "this segment brought to you by FC Edmonton" last week.

They would like to participate in the Canadian Premier League set for kick off next year. Edmonton needs to prove to be viable though for them to care. It was crushing when they left

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta

FC Edmonton closed down because the league it was in folded. There is a new premier league solely for Canada that will be getting eight teams. Surrey (FC BC), Edmonton, Calgary, York, Halifax, Montreal, Winnipeg and I think Ottawa?

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
FC Edmonton closed down because the league it was in folded. There is a new premier league solely for Canada that will be getting eight teams. Surrey (FC BC), Edmonton, Calgary, York, Halifax, Montreal, Winnipeg and I think Ottawa?
Hamilton was one of the confirmed teams along with Winnipeg. Swap out Montreal for Halifax and it looks about right

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lots of travel for the West teams. Not sure if this league will survive either

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe in 50 years, even if Edmonton got a team, no one would ever want to play here
For it to happen we would need a Lebron James scenario. Some sort of generational talent born and raised in Edmonton coming into the league the same time we got a team.

People question VAN and EDM or anywhere really in Canada, but the fact is TOR isn't exactly that great either. I went to a few games this year in TOR and really the stands weren't that full. The one game was decent as it was against the Celtics, but my god was it empty for the Knicks.

Sure tickets were sold, but when you have an elite team and it's not full every night something is wrong

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad