Speculation: Possible GM Candidates

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Names included in other threads are Draper, Fenton, Brisebois, Shero, and a few other assistants throughout the league.

When discussing whether Holland would continue after this season, HSJ's recent article mentioned Draper specifically as the understudy. Not sure if there's any weight to deducing Kris as the internal front-runner, but he's now been officially referenced by local media.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Said it before, Wouldn't mind Detroit signing Dean Lombardi as their next GM. He did wonders for the LA Kings.

But wasn't Lombardi's undoing in LA from some of the same crap that Holland gets roasted over?

IE Too much loyalty to players leading to excessive term/money on deals for guys that aren't exactly key pieces (Brown, Gaborik, Greene, etc.), and throwing away futures for band-aids to try to keep the team in the playoffs (trading the 13th overall pick for 1 year of Lucic after they missed the playoffs, guaranteeing the Canes a 1st rounder for a rental in Sekera regardless of whether or not the Kings made the playoffs, etc.)

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Names included in other threads are Draper, Fenton, Brisebois, Shero, and a few other assistants throughout the league.

When discussing whether Holland would continue after this season, HSJ's recent article mentioned Draper specifically as the understudy. Not sure if there's any weight to deducing Kris as the internal front-runner, but he's now been officially referenced by local media.

Shero ?

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Kings' fans seemed pretty nervous when there was speculation of that they could lose Mike Futa to Carolina -- so i dunno, poach him?

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I just want someone from outside the organization. Someone who can look at the sweetheart vet deals/prospect pool dispassionately, and deal with them.

That said, I expect we'll get Draper/similar, and I expect he'll continue the practice of handing out bad contracts to lifers.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
That said, I expect we'll get Draper/similar, and I expect he'll continue the practice of handing out bad contracts to lifers.
Not that I want him but why is Draper more of the same?

By that logic wouldn't Stevie Y have been more of the same 6 years ago?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Best part is it says Cholowski is expected to ush for a spot this fall

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
No official discussion or actual sources. I just personally had mentioned him as a candidate I liked, and wondered what his contract status was in Jersey.

He's a guy who has shown aptitude for multiple scenarios, whether in Pittsburgh (being handed Malkin and Crosby, then needing to flesh out the roster around them) or for the Devils (making several good trades to turn a cellar dweller into a playoff team).

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
IF Holland steps down or is not brought back, I have a hard time believing its anybody other then Draper, unless of course Yzerman wanted to come back but thats not happening.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I just want the best person for the job. I don't subscribe to the whole "we need to fire Holland for the sake of firing Holland" philosophy but I also don't subscribe to "nobody but Holland" philosophy, I just want the best possible person for the position. If I were ownership, I would sit down with Holland and and go over the vision of the team with him. Depending on what he says, I either keep him, or move on.

If we move on, same thing. I sit down with Draper, I sit down with Shero etc. etc. I go with the GM who gives me the best possible chance of winning a cup. As soon as you limit your self with things like "It cannot be an internal hire" you are restricting yourself. Same thing with saying "It has to be an internal hire". Take emotion out of it, you hire the best candidate, period.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Soo Greyhound and Detroit fan in me says... Kyle Dubas. Learning the ropes in Toronto, completely changed the culture in The Soo from afterthought to the destination in the CHL. Helping build a winning culture in Toronto at the minor and pro levels. Very forward thinker, and a smart kid.... be very hard to pry him away from Toronto but i think he would breathe so much fresh air into our franchise when we need it most.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Not that I want him but why is Draper more of the same?

By that logic wouldn't Stevie Y have been more of the same 6 years ago?

Because I assume anyone currently working under Holland would continue his philosophy, and would show the same stupid deference to 'key veterans' that Holland has.

It's certainly possible that Draper is an agitator in the front office, and doesn't agree with Holland on anything. But that seems pretty unlikely.

I don't think Yzerman-six-years-ago is particularly relevant to anything, at this point.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Because I assume anyone currently working under Holland would continue his philosophy, and would show the same stupid deference to 'key veterans' that Holland has.

It's certainly possible that Draper is an agitator in the front office, and doesn't agree with Holland on anything. But that seems pretty unlikely.

I don't think Yzerman-six-years-ago is particularly relevant to anything, at this point.

The point is very relevant and a very good one.
If people are purposing that anyone who worked under Holland would be the exact same as him, using Yzerman as an example is proof that its not the case. Draper like Yzerman, learned under Holland, they had the same training. So to say Draper would be the same as Holland purely based on his training is debunked with the example of Yzerman.

If anything, Draper saying what he did in his recent interview WHILE working under Holland is pretty telling.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Why would you assume that?

Nill and Yzerman were under Holland and then were not Holland-lites as GMs, why does that mean Draper will definitely be Holland? Because he's currently in the organization? That's not a real reason.

I don't buy it, Draper could prove to be a fine GM that doesn't over pay mediocre vets and is more aggressive. Like I said I'd prefer an outside hire but that doesn't mean Draper would be awful or more of the same.

Reactions: kliq

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
If people are purposing that anyone who worked under Holland would be the exact same as him,

Where, specifically, did I say this?

Why would you assume that?

Nill and Yzerman were under Holland and then were not Holland-lites as GMs, why does that mean Draper will definitely be Holland? Because he's currently in the organization? That's not a real reason.

Jim Nill has had nothing to do with the last few years of inept veteran signings, and further, was with the front office in 1994. How, on earth, is that comparable to Kris Draper, who's spent his entire management career in the front office of a badly declining team?

I'm not sure why it's a given that Yzerman isn't a 'Holland-lite' and given that I haven't suggested that he is, I have no idea why you're forcing that opinion into my mouth.

I don't buy it, Draper could prove to be a fine GM that doesn't over pay mediocre vets and is more aggressive. Like I said I'd prefer an outside hire but that doesn't mean Draper would be awful or more of the same.

He "could"? Great. That's a super useful point. The Wings "could" also hire Joe Guy off Woodward and he "could" be a great GM. Unless you're actually going to argue it, I have no idea what the point of "could" is, other than to be pointlessly contrarian.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
You literally said anyone working under Holland now.

Your assumption is as false as mine. I don't see me as being contrarian, I'd have an open mind to Draper even if I don't want him. You're just hating for the sake of hating.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Where, specifically, did I say this?

Jim Nill has had nothing to do with the last few years of inept veteran signings, and further, was with the front office in 1994. How, on earth, is that comparable to Kris Draper, who's spent his entire management career in the front office of a badly declining team?

I'm not sure why it's a given that Yzerman isn't a 'Holland-lite' and given that I haven't suggested that he is, I have no idea why you're forcing that opinion into my mouth.

He "could"? Great. That's a super useful point. The Wings "could" also hire Joe Guy off Woodward and he "could" be a great GM. Unless you're actually going to argue it, I have no idea what the point of "could" is, other than to be pointlessly contrarian.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
Soo Greyhound and Detroit fan in me says... Kyle Dubas. Learning the ropes in Toronto, completely changed the culture in The Soo from afterthought to the destination in the CHL. Helping build a winning culture in Toronto at the minor and pro levels. Very forward thinker, and a smart kid.... be very hard to pry him away from Toronto but i think he would breathe so much fresh air into our franchise when we need it most.
If it was up to me I would throw as much money towards Dubas as possible. I think it would be the right situation for him to take a GM job, but you never know. I would start with Dubas though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad