Possible for Crosby to make the U20 WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Is it possible that Sid can make team Canada? I guess the question is more if it is likely that he make the team. I don't recall him being invited to the Junior camp last month. If he continues on the path he's on, it would be pretty hard to leave him off the team.

MartinStLouis

Sep 3, 2003
DC Metro area
Visit site
I think from what i am hearing is he wasnt invited because he was at the U18 Tourney so he could not do both at once, of course this statement could be totally false. But most likely he will play for the U20 team, he was one of the leading scorers if not the #1 at the U18 so it would be stupid not to place him at the camp at least.

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario
Jason Spezza and Jay Bouwmeester weren't invited to Summer Developmental Camp in August when they were 15/16, but they were still invited to the Selection Camp in December. Crosby will be invited if he continues his pace and if he doesn't get injured. If he doesn't, I don't know what Blair M. is thinking.

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego

How can I put this nicely...he has under a 5% chance of making the U20 team this year.

Hitman*

If he keeps playing the way he does, they wouldn't have an excuse not to send him. Especially if some of the top eligible juniors make it to the NHL (mainly Horton and Staal).

He could even make an impact if he goes.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Vincent_TheGreat said:
Yeah, why is that. Don't throw **** your ass can't cash!!

Don't expect a response. It's typical Tuomo Ruutu's Ego behaviour to drop by with an obnoxious comment, fail to give the statement any basis, and never make another appearance in the thread.

As for the original question, I don't see why he wouldn't be given consideration so long as he keeps up his current pace. And that's a fairly big 'if'.

Anfernic

Feb 19, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
It's simple, right now, Sidney is better than Jason Spezza was at his first under 20 so don't be surprised if he is invited.

Now he is already one of the top players in the Q

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Anfernic said:
It's simple, right now, Sidney is better than Jason Spezza was at his first under 20 so don't be surprised if he is invited.

Personally I don't really think so, I was more impressed by Spezza at the same age. I also think his chances of making it, while not zero, are lower than when Spezza made it because it seems in the last few years the Canadian team has made a point of bringing more experienced, mature players. Last year's team would be a good example of that philosophy (which I think is a good one).

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
Sid will maken it and at worst be a 2nd line player on that team. Thats my prediction. Another 1+1 tonight.

BCCHL inactive

RyanM said:
Sid will maken it and at worst be a 2nd line player on that team. Thats my prediction. Another 1+1 tonight.

Any 16 year-old making that team is a 4th liner (or 7th defenceman for D-Men). Spezza and Bouwmeester got very little playing time when they made it at 16, and they had just as much hype as Crosby does.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
He definitely has a chance to make the team, and it's a lot more than 5%. He has already made an impression in international play, and if he is close to the league lead in the Q in scoring, then he will be all but guaranteed an invite to the evaluation camp. Especially given the pressure Hockey Canada will feel from the public (at least for the invite).

And if he's invited to the camp, then he obviously has the opportunity to make the team.

Keep in mind that while they do like older players on the WJC, they often like to have at least one young player on the team who might play at the WJC for a couple of years. Getting Crosby some expose at the WJC this year - even as the 13th forward - will be valuable for him in future WJC as he takes on more of leadership role. Of course, if he continues to progress, his draft year will probably be his last in WJC play.

JasonMacIsaac

Spezza doesn't have this type of hype, Spezza had the Cherry's hype, Crosby has the Great One's Hype going for him. I will make another bold prediction. I say he leads Canada's under 20 team in points.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
JasonMacIsaac said:
Spezza doesn't have this type of hype, Spezza had the Cherry's hype, Crosby has the Great One's Hype going for him. I will make another bold prediction. I say he leads Canada's under 20 team in points.

Crosby's definately good enough to make the team, but let's not get carried away. Crosby won't lead the U-20 team in points.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Zine said:
Crosby's definately good enough to make the team, but let's not get carried away. Crosby won't lead the U-20 team in points.
Yeah I agree he won't lead tournament in scoring and he won't lead Canada in scoring. I think he has a good shot to play on the fourth or third line.

JasonMacIsaac

He is playing with leeches now and still getting 11 points in 5 games, no matter who you play him with he will score. Save this thread.

Capt Tuttle

Jan 31, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
Anfernic said:

Now he is already one of the top players in the Q

Some people forget how good Spezza was at 15/16/17. He had 71 points in 67 games as a 15 year old in the O (a year younger than Crosby) and played for the Canadian National that same year as a 16 year old. He was also named as 1 of the 3 all star forwards in the WJCs at the very young age of 17. Relative to his earlier years, Spezza has "struggled" his last couple of years. I believe that to be because of his lanky build, he has only now grown into his body.

Having said that, I agree that Crosby looks like he may even be better. Despite the negative posts about how he may become another Fogarty, Daigle, whoever, simply put, the kid is awesome. Everywhere he has played up he has dominated on the scoreboard similiar to Gretzky. (No, I am not saying he will be as good or better as Gretzky). However, based on his play so far, his performance compares as close to Gretzky's as any other player I can remember.

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego

Vincent_TheGreat said:
Yeah, why is that. Don't throw **** your ass can't cash!!

A) Canada is a very deep country talent-wise, they have players who are as skilled or better, that are older and more mature.

B) Crosby is only 16 years old. Refer to point A).

The odds are definantely against him making the team, he has a low percent chance of making it. Sure, he might make it, but he will really have to go above and beyond to do it. He will need a brilliant training camp, not just a regular one.

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego

Mike8 said:
Don't expect a response. It's typical Tuomo Ruutu's Ego behaviour to drop by with an obnoxious comment, fail to give the statement any basis, and never make another appearance in the thread.

Well well well, looks like I proved you wrong. Please think next time before you open your pie hole little boy. Typical to drop by with an obnoxious comment? Right...I'm sorry I can't spend multiple hours a day in front of a computer screen replying to all you people. I have a life outside of this message board, and if I read the comments and didn't reply it was because I had nothing to add. Sorry, but I don't post pad, if I have nothing to say, I have no need to post a message to it.

Would you like me to reply every time you reply to my posts saying "ok, I read it"? Would that give you a great deal of satasfaction?

If you can't handle my posts, don't read them. But don't bitch and whine like theres no tomorrow.

Alex126

Sep 23, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
Crosby will definitively make the Canada Team for the next U20 tournament. He's simply a phenomenon. For his teamate it's like he's from an other planet. They have difficulties to understand the way he plays and they are unable to supplement his plays. We are very lucky in Rimouski to have him because he's something to watch.

Hitman*

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego said:
A) Canada is a very deep country talent-wise, they have players who are as skilled or better, that are older and more mature.

B) Crosby is only 16 years old. Refer to point A).

They may be older, but you can't say they are better. Look at canada's team last year. Do you really think that Derek Roy is better than Eric Staal? Age does not equal skill.

His age should have nothing to do with the selection process and it most likely wont. Its not like Canada doesn't take 16 year olds (Spezza and Bouwmeester). And he's proving to be one of the best players around already.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
I think that every fans rooting for Canada want to see him in the team.. If team canada fails, Team Canada will be critizised by all the fans if he did not made the team..

I expect to see him at the december camp..... and after, it's to Crosby to prove he deserve a spot.. and more than the extra attacker..

I think he will be the 3rd line center.... or the 4th...... and some time on the PP.... Like C.J did with Spezza when he was 16 yr old.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->