Possible CHLer's eligible for the Olympics??

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Bob McKenzie stated that there is no distinction that CHLer's would not be eligible for the Olympics. Also Team Canada could be looking to add some CHL players to the Olympic roster or at least challenge them. Who from the OHL would you like to see on Team Canada?? Possible candidates include:

Robert Thomas (London Knights)
Jordan Kyrou (Sarnia Sting)
Nick Suzuki (Owen Sound Attack)
Taylor Raddysh (Erie Otters)
Cliff Pu (London Knights)
Logan Stanley (Kitchener Rangers)
Owen Tippett (Mississauga Steelheads)*
Michael McLeod ( Mississauga Steelheads)*
Victor Mete (London Knights)*
*indicates if returned to CHL team*

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
How about nobody!

The last thing I think any OHL team needs, is their star player(s) away for two weeks or more at a time of the season when teams are jockeying for position and some for a playoff spot. And what if one of the star players gets hurt at the Olympics? No doubt any OHL player selected to play at the Olympics would've already been absent from their team for an amount of games to play at the world juniors. I don't believe this is fair to an OHL team's fan base to go even more games without their star players in the lineup.

No! As far as I am concerned, I hope no OHLer get pulled up to the Olympics. Call me selfish if you want but that's the way I feel as an OHL fan.

Reactions: Ferda11

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
How about nobody!

The last thing I think any OHL team needs, is their star player(s) away for two weeks or more at a time of the season when teams are jockeying for position and some for a playoff spot. And what if one of the star players gets hurt at the Olympics? No doubt any OHL player selected to play at the Olympics would've already been absent from their team for an amount of games to play at the world juniors. I don't believe this is fair to an OHL team's fan base to go even more games without their star players in the lineup.

No! As far as I am concerned, I hope no OHLer get pulled up to the Olympics. Call me selfish if you want but that's the way I feel as an OHL fan.

Yes that is extremely selfish lol. No different than the World Juniors. Anything that will help these kids get seen on a bigger stage they should/would do. Do I think any of them will go to the Olympics? No because hockey Canada doesn't want them, but if they do ask for a couple, they'll go, as they should. It's a development league and playing in the OHL for 2 weeks would better develop them than playing in the olympics? Yeah right....

Reactions: TheCoach

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I would say, that Adam Ruzicka could be considered.

When he shows strong performance on the WJC, he could earn a ticket. GM of Slovak team Miroslav Satan said, there will be big surprises by creation of Slovak team.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I don't think we will be seeing any junior players going. Tom Renney was quoted saying "it's a bit of a stretch" when asked about juniors playing for the Olympic team. Other countries I don't know.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
These junior players should stay where they are. Most come back from NHL camps injured. What kind of team would they have if they have to depend on CHL players when they struggle to medal in the World Juniors?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
correct me if im wrong, but if they have an nhl contract, would they not be part of the nhlpa and therefore not eligible to play in the olympics. that knocks off alot of the players on that list. they are not in the nhl, but just like ahl players who have contracts, they are property of nhl teams. ahl skaters are not eligible because of this rule.

member 71782

I would think kids who have signed an NHL deal would not be eligible but if they are not signed I think it would be great for their development.

It also gets true amateurs back in the Olympic games instead of professionals playing for free to skirt around the amateur rule.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
correct me if im wrong, but if they have an nhl contract, would they not be part of the nhlpa and therefore not eligible to play in the olympics. that knocks off alot of the players on that list. they are not in the nhl, but just like ahl players who have contracts, they are property of nhl teams. ahl skaters are not eligible because of this rule.
They have to play 10 games before their contract kicks in - they can be signed but as long as they are still playing in an amateur league should be no issue, but I though the Olympics was starting to ease up on the pro/amateur thing, not only in hockey but other sports as well - Golf, soccer etc.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
As a fan, No I don't want Kyrou to go. But would I be upset if he does go, no. That would be such a huge opportunity for these young men. If Hockey Canada asks any of these young men to participate, I hope the league and teams allow them to go. Give them an opportunity of a lifetime.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I honestly don't see any game changers like McDavid, Marner etc so I'd be surprised if any go from the OHL. Not to significant hockey countries anyway.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
They have to play 10 games before their contract kicks in - they can be signed but as long as they are still playing in an amateur league should be no issue, but I though the Olympics was starting to ease up on the pro/amateur thing, not only in hockey but other sports as well - Golf, soccer etc.

all signed nhl players are not allowed to play in the olympics, even those in the minors.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-players-contract-minors-no-olympics-1.4237971

contract years may move back, but they are still under contract and still get signing bonuses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad