Speculation: Possible 2017 Off Season moves

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
With the talks of shipping Nyquist out how far up in the first do you think we could get if we bundled him with our second round pick? I'm specifically looking at Nicholas Suzuki in this case.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
With the talks of shipping Nyquist out how far up in the first do you think we could get if we bundled him with our second round pick? I'm specifically looking at Nicholas Suzuki in this case.

People do realize the odds of a 15-25 pick becoming better than what Nyquist currently is is not good... correct?

I really don't see the point of trades like this, no offense.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
People do realize the odds of a 15-25 pick becoming better than what Nyquist currently is is not good... correct?

I really don't see the point of trades like this, no offense.

Correct, do you see this team competing for the Cup while Nyquist is still in his prime? Would it be more beneficial to divide Nyquist's ice time to our younger players to help them develop? Would it be nice to have a little bit of extra cap space wiggle room to possibly have a Tuevo-Cap dump trade fall into our laps? Additionally, shipping out one of solid top 6 players would helps the odds of a Dahlin/Svechnikov. This is all hypothetical of course but just questions that should at least be on Hollands mind.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
According to twitter Detroit is in the running for a 5'9" Swedish forward Filip Sanberg does any one know much about this guy.

Had a pretty good playoff with HV71 in the SHL (14 points in 16 games) playing with former Red Wing/Grand Rapids Griffin Adam Almqvist.

Never drafted, 22 years old and a little bit undersized, but still 181lbs. He's basically Joe Hickett's size.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Had a pretty good playoff with HV71 in the SHL (14 points in 16 games) playing with former Red Wing/Grand Rapids Griffin Adam Almqvist.

Never drafted, 22 years old and a little bit undersized, but still 181lbs. He's basically Joe Hickett's size.

Thanks Joe Hickett's was pretty much the first guy i was thinking of when seeing Filip Sanberg 5'9" 181lbs when comparing their sizes.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Anyone be interested in a deal with Dallas taking on one of their goalies and the 3rd overall for our 9th?

To Detroit: Lehtonen, 3rd OVR, 2nd Rd
To Dallas: Nyquist, 9th OVR

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This implies we can trade Howard. Basically we get a cheaper way to get the 3rd overall by taking Lehtonen.

I get the thinking, I just think we're looking at either burying one of those guys in GR or buying them out. In which case, I want Niemi. He's cheaper.

Considering that, I'd push hard for their second 1st rounder instead of the 2nd but I'm probably just greedy.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Anyone be interested in a deal with Dallas taking on one of their goalies and the 3rd overall for our 9th?

To Detroit: Lehtonen, 3rd OVR, 2nd Rd
To Dallas: Nyquist, 9th OVR

I would do this deal in a heartbeat, But only if we can move Howard to say Calgary without retaining any salary of then that we couldn't afford too do it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

I'd say he's Viktor Arvidsson's size:nod:

But I don't know his play style at all

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
They already did go all in on Trouba and failed.

Time has passed on Fowler. Probably could have gotten him, comparatively, for a song last year compared to what you'd pay now. Last year, it looked like he was quickly becoming odd man out in Anaheim. He looks like a 1/2D again now.

When did they go all in on Trouba? I havent seen any reports on that...what were the rumors?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
When did they go all in on Trouba? I havent seen any reports on that...what were the rumors?

Before he resigned in Winnipeg.

http://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-ken-holland-jacob-trouba-asking-price/

The thing from Dreger was Holland was willing to trade everyone on the roster except for Larkin. Which pretty much means any two or three guy groupings because more assets gets unwieldy quickly and no guy they have is a one for one.

It says there was an offer that "included two higher level forwards" but didn't say any other piece, which may have been involved.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Before he resigned in Winnipeg.

http://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-ken-holland-jacob-trouba-asking-price/

The thing from Dreger was Holland was willing to trade everyone on the roster except for Larkin. Which pretty much means any two or three guy groupings because more assets gets unwieldy quickly and no guy they have is a one for one.

It says there was an offer that "included two higher level forwards" but didn't say any other piece, which may have been involved.

Reserving one chip, is by definition, not going all in. If you are playing poker and you have 51 chips, you push in 50 1 dollar chips and keep your one 1000 dollar chip, did you really go all in? I mean you did throw in MOST of your chips.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Winnipeg was and is right to ask for Larkin. I think Larkin for Trouba is a fair trade at this stage, with the advantage even going to the Wings for getting the more established player.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Today, new Detroit Red Wings General Manager Jimmy Howard has made a puzzling move, trading defenseman Dan DeKeyser to the Las Vegas Golden Knights in exchange for future considerations. Howard refused to comment.

I'd be happy with that trade

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Winnipeg was and is right to ask for Larkin. I think Larkin for Trouba is a fair trade at this stage, with the advantage even going to the Wings for getting the more established player.

Winnipeg clearly Larkin ++.

Going by Dreger's article there, I'd say the most likely offer was Larkin + Nyquist + 17 1st + D (not Dekeyser, value wise, it would likely be Smith). That seems like a pretty steep price to pay.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Winnipeg clearly Larkin ++.

Going by Dreger's article there, I'd say the most likely offer was Larkin + Nyquist + 17 1st + D (not Dekeyser, value wise, it would likely be Smith). That seems like a pretty steep price to pay.

That isn't close to any comparable of an actual NHL trade we can reference. Particularly for a player like Trouba.

But I understand creating this pie in the sky asking price excuses the Wings from their failure to obtain defensive help. Poor Ken Holland, everyone asks twice the value of him that players move for.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
That isn't close to any comparable of an actual NHL trade we can reference. Particularly for a player like Trouba.

But I understand creating this pie in the sky asking price excuses the Wings from their failure to obtain defensive help. Poor Ken Holland, everyone asks twice the value of him that players move for.

The baseline for any rumored deal is two high level forwards.

The two that made the most sense for a variety of reasons are Larkin and Nyquist.

Seeing as those two guys would pretty much slot in as #3RW and #3C in Winnipeg (Larkin wouldn't jump Schiefele and Little and Nyquist certainly wouldn't surpass Laine and Wheeler), I don't think they're enough by themselves to land Trouba. Especially not in summer 2016 when Larkin hit the wall SUPER hard in the 2nd half of the NHL season.

Maybe my defense piece was too valuable, but you would think Winnipeg would want an NHL caliber replacement for Trouba. Smith felt like the right cap hit/production as the other options would be too expensive and crappy or too cheap and too unproven. Also, they came out and said DeKeyser wasn't part of it.

The 1st might have been a stretch... but a bonafide top 4 D with clear top pairing potential has a ludicrous premium in the NHL.

It's less a "other GMs are mean and treat Holland bad" and more "defensemen with top pairing potential are pretty much never moved. Want one in trade? Be prepared to blow the doors off of your trade partner in value."

Seriously, Trouba was a top 4D prior to this year and looks like a bona-fide top pairing guy now and his only wart was asking for a trade because "I want more playing time on the right side". Which he clearly showed that he deserved with his play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad