Pollock's offer for Potvin

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
During the 1973 draft, Canadiens GM Sam Pollock offered Bill Torrey a package of players for first overall pick Denis Potvin, a deal that was obviously refused. The question being, does anyone know or believe to know what players were offered to the Isles for Potvin.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
No idea, but I do know that Potvin did not want to go to the Habs and said as much. He likely thought he would get a better opportunity to be a #1 d-man immediately in NY, rather than have to work his way up the ladder in Montreal. Perhaps it was Pollock who withdrew the offer, rather than Torrey refusing it after Potvin's comments.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
I know I read something about this not too long ago, but I can't recall which book it was in. The only one I could find with a quick look in a couple of books was that they offered "four good players."

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Sadly, cooch must have had his internet cut off or something, or he could no doubt let us know what anglophones Pollock wanted to dump and how some anti-French conspiracy kept Lemieux from playing for the Habs from age 6-42.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
During the 1973 draft, Canadiens GM Sam Pollock offered Bill Torrey a package of players for first overall pick Denis Potvin, a deal that was obviously refused. The question being, does anyone know or believe to know what players were offered to the Isles for Potvin.

There is the possibility that the packages were kept private among the parties involved. Here is an article from NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/futures/2001draft/coffey_nhldraft.html

Here is how it is worded on the hockeydraftcentral site:

http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1973/73facts.html

The Canadiens re-positioned themselves by trading for several extra high picks and then offered the Islanders all kinds of deals for the No. 1 choice. Islanders general manager Bill Torrey was not interested, however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad