Poll: Your thoughts on the NHL's latest proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Sinurgy said:
Just curious to see what everyone thinks of the latest proposal by the NHL.

The framework is there but it needs some tweaking to get the plaayers to agree to it.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
It definitely could be workable, however I think it needs some significant changes in some areas. The cap as well all know will happen, however it definitely needs tweaking.

I give the offer a big thumbs down in terms of whether or not they did all they could, however, it's negotiating, and therefor they asked for more than they expect...

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
It's unrealistic to expect the players to accept a hard cap. It's also a little low. I'd raise it a little bit and soften it up. Throw in a luxury tax for the bigger market teams and make it worthwhile. Don't just satisfy the Edmonton's, Pittsburgh's and Calgary's.

I also don't get how they expect every team to get under that kind of cap if the league started back up.

It makes no sense whatsoever.

If they want a cap so badly, it should be reasonable.

In reality, this offer was put out there for PR. They knew it would get rejected.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Needs to do a little more for the players, particularly on arbitration and qualifying offers, but it's an improvement and should be close to good enough.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The league has conceded virtually nothing from it's proposal back in September.

- They've added a meaningless partnership clause with the players. If the league makes $200 million in a season, that's $75 million over the threshold, and $37.5 million for the players. Divide by 800 players, and you have $45 000/ per player. Next to nothing, relatively speaking. Even if the league does turn a fat profit, which is unlikely.

- They've come off their ridiculous $33 million hard cap to a $40 million linkage number. If revenues drop next year (which they will, due to negative effects of the lockout), the $40 million linkage figure drops significantly. Linkage is worse than a hard cap for the players.

- They've added the 24% rollback the players proposed, without giving any concessions in return.

- They've made no attempt to come up with a formula for revenue sharing amongst owners, and no formula for what consititutes revenue.

- They've made no concessions in terms of arbitration, entry-level salaries, and qualifying offers. Plus have added a no-holdout provision.

Essentially this proposal features the exact linkage the owners want, settles every major point in favour of the owners, incorporates the rollback which was supposed to be a cap alternative, and offers nothing in return. All the owners are doing is recycling the same basic proposal over and over, and changing the bells and whistles slightly every time to try and win public approval. They haven't made a single major concession in this whole process. By contrast, the players have made about 5 huge concessions (lower qualifying offers, 2-way arbitration, luxury tax, entry-level salary restrictions, 24% rollback).

For RFAs, this proposal is almost more restrictive than the deals Eagleson negotiated while in the owners' pocket back in the 1980s.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Linkage is the backbreaker here. Their is no way the players will sign with that kind of linkage. I am still not sure they would accept any cap but with tahat linkage I can see the cap staying at 20 - 28 Million for the next 5 to 10 years. I don't know why they don't just put in a max player salary at a comfortable level.with revenue sharing amung owners in a luxuary tax sytem.

EricBowser

Dec 8, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
MS, What part of BILLION DOLLAR LOSSES over 10 years doesn't sink through with you, other fans and the NHLPA?

Just because the owners offered a system that you didn't like, doesn't mean the owners are being unfair.

Same as the NHLPA offer, not being an unfair practice.

Both sides are on two totally different planes and it won't change until one decides to move off their stance, which will be the players.

Players must realize, if season is cancelled the owners will be united more than ever and the next CBA proposal in December will be much worse for their bank accounts.

Face it, NHLPA had it really good for ten years and now NHL is back to restructuring their business plan to a more than fair partnership.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
All the owners are doing is recycling the same basic proposal over and over, and changing the bells and whistles slightly every time to try and win public approval.

I don't think they need to win public approval. The PR battle has been a slaughter to this point. In fact as many have all ready pointed out, the image of the players has taken a huge hit and based on recent player comments it's only getting worse. Anyway, personally I think the proposal needs some tweaks but then it should be good enough.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kovy274Hart said:
It's unrealistic to expect the players to accept a hard cap. It's also a little low. I'd raise it a little bit and soften it up. Throw in a luxury tax for the bigger market teams and make it worthwhile. Don't just satisfy the Edmonton's, Pittsburgh's and Calgary's.

I also don't get how they expect every team to get under that kind of cap if the league started back up.

It makes no sense whatsoever.

If they want a cap so badly, it should be reasonable.

In reality, this offer was put out there for PR. They knew it would get rejected.
:handclap:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
EricBowser said:
MS, What part of BILLION DOLLAR LOSSES over 10 years doesn't sink through with you, other fans and the NHLPA?

Just because the owners offered a system that you didn't like, doesn't mean the owners are being unfair.

Same as the NHLPA offer, not being an unfair practice.

Both sides are on two totally different planes and it won't change until one decides to move off their stance, which will be the players.

Players must realize, if season is cancelled the owners will be united more than ever and the next CBA proposal in December will be much worse for their bank accounts.

Face it, NHLPA had it really good for ten years and now NHL is back to restructuring their business plan to a more than fair partnership.

I understand the losses. But (as I see it at least), the league is not negotiating toward being on an even foothold. They're trying to use the obvious leverage they have over the players to wrangle out an absolute sweetheart deal. Which this would be if it went through. The league's losses aren't just due to player salaries - they're due to rotten arena leases in some markets, poor franchise locations, over-expansion, the disappearance of a quality TV deal, overall poor league marketing and so on. The league is trying to put the whole thing on the players (and then some) to avoid dealing with the other problems they've created. If a deal like this goes through, they've created a profitable league in spite of a decade of awful management, without fixing any of their mistakes. Nice deal if you can get it.

I agree the players might be forced to cut their losses and accept something along these lines because clearly they have little leverage. But I don't think the owners are being 'fair' and concessions don't need to go nearly this far to have a healthy league. The RFA concessions and entry-level restrictions being discussed, plus a stiff luxury tax over $38-40 million or so, plus a concerted effort from the owners at revenue sharing, would almost certainly fix most of the league's problems. But instead they're sabotaging the season to try for the home run, because they think the PA will eventually cave.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
The proposal is calculated. They put in everything they wanted and even some stuff the players offered so that if they try the impasse route, they get, for the time being, linkage, a cap AND the 24% rollback as this will probably be their last proposal.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know what so bad about adding a soft cap at $42M and making a hard cap at $47M. If you don't want to pay the tax don't go over $42M

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
I don't know what so bad about adding a soft cap at $42M and making a hard cap at $47M. If you don't want to pay the tax don't go over $42M

While I'd have no problem with that, it's not as simple as paying the tax/not paying the tax.
Fact is what one teams pays affects other teams. It affects their level of competitiveness and it affects the league's salary structure.
Like I said, this doesn't seem to be an unreasonable compromise, but there are consequences the league may be unwilling the accept. I hope I'm wrong.

Brent Burns Beard