Playoffs or Tank

• Playoffs

• Tank

Results are only viewable after voting.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
We're so bad it's comical at this point, there's no other way to look at it. I mean, anyone who wants us to win games now... are you watching this team? Why in the world should we win anything? Anyone will demolish us in the playoffs if we snuck in. That achieves zero. It's not good experience for new guys, and we don't even know who will be on the roster next season.

This is THE scenario you absolutely need to cheer for losses. There is NO positive to winning now, but there is to losing. The whole "you're not a fan because you want a loss" is so ridiculously overblown and completely out of place in this situation. It's the opposite. You're a pretty poor fan if you think winning enough to just miss the playoffs or get a swift kick in the nuts exit will do any good to this team.

Time to start sitting more guys and having youngsters come up for games to see what they can do before next season. THAT would be beneficial.

That and getting a top 5, or even better top 3 pick. Not a single question.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
We're so bad it's comical at this point, there's no other way to look at it. I mean, anyone who wants us to win games now... are you watching this team? Why in the world should we win anything? Anyone will demolish us in the playoffs if we snuck in. That achieves zero. It's not good experience for new guys, and we don't even know who will be on the roster next season.

This is THE scenario you absolutely need to cheer for losses. There is NO positive to winning now, but there is to losing. The whole "you're not a fan because you want a loss" is so ridiculously overblown and completely out of place in this situation. It's the opposite. You're a pretty poor fan if you think winning enough to just miss the playoffs or get a swift kick in the nuts exit will do any good to this team.

Time to start sitting more guys and having youngsters come up for games to see what they can do before next season. THAT would be beneficial.

That and getting a top 5, or even better top 3 pick. Not a single question.

Well said. If every team in the league had the same shot at the 1st overall pick it would be a different story. But that's not how it works.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Thou shalt not tank!

I don't think the Rangers are actively trying to lose this game. They're just not nearly on the same level as the Lightning. If our team squeaked in and faced these guys in the playoffs which would almost certainly be the matchup we'd get annihilated--our only chance to win the series would be if the Lightning plane fell out of the sky on it's trip to NYC. You don't even to have to watch that closely to figure that out.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
I mean, we're tanking regardless. It's just a matter of embracing it fully like other teams seem to be doing.

Sit guys with small injuries, or who are banged up. Get Andersson up for some games. Chytil. Nieves. Lettieri. Doesn't matter.

Double benefit of getting them more NHL experience, even if it's in a very difficult position. It's fine that they end the season like this, they'll be extra motivated to come in to camp and make the roster next season and be a part of the turn-around. We'll lose more games and have a slightly better chance and drafting very early.

Play Georgiev. Play Nell. Why give Lundqvist these 50-60 shot ridiculous games when we're going nowhere and everyone on the team knows it? I know he's competitive and wants to play but damn man, take a break. You've earned it and you'll be back in the thick of it next season.

Why even bring Shattenkirk back? Not that he'll make a huge difference regardless, but still. Have him play a few games if he wants to shake some rust and help Pionk or whatever, but don't rush him back in and have him log huge minutes trying to win games for no reason. Balance it out. Give everyone a shot. Mix up lines. Now is the time to test guys, mix things up, etc.

edit: And to be clear, I really don't want to tank for multiple years. It's just pretty obvious that this is the season to "go for it" (the picks) as things stand. I'd actually like to quickly get back to being competitive and be a bubble contender asap. Hell, we could be a fringe playoff team next season, or the one after. Go from there. Smart drafting. Smart moves. Gotta praise Jersey here. Let's get our Hischier, bring in some new blood, make some good adjustments and get back in it. We're not gonna be able to pull a Pittsburgh and get Crosby/Malkin, or Chicago with Toews/Kane etc. But we CAN add to what I believe are probably two guys already very close to being contributors. Maybe we have more now with the guys we got at TD.

Another good draft, guys developing well, Shestyorkin coming over and succeeding... none are a given, but they all happen and this is a quick rebuild on the fly where we're competitive soon. New coach wouldn't hurt either, but hey.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I mean, we're tanking regardless. It's just a matter of embracing it fully like other teams seem to be doing.

Sit guys with small injuries, or who are banged up. Get Andersson up for some games. Chytil. Nieves. Lettieri. Doesn't matter.

Double benefit of getting them more NHL experience, even if it's in a very difficult position. It's fine that they end the season like this, they'll be extra motivated to come in to camp and make the roster next season and be a part of the turn-around. We'll lose more games and have a slightly better chance and drafting very early.

Play Georgiev. Play Nell. Why give Lundqvist these 50-60 shot ridiculous games when we're going nowhere and everyone on the team knows it? I know he's competitive and wants to play but damn man, take a break. You've earned it and you'll be back in the thick of it next season.

Why even bring Shattenkirk back? Not that he'll make a huge difference regardless, but still. Have him play a few games if he wants to shake some rust and help Pionk or whatever, but don't rush him back in and have him log huge minutes trying to win games for no reason. Balance it out. Give everyone a shot. Mix up lines. Now is the time to test guys, mix things up, etc.

There's no need to be playing Lundqvist as much as we are. We're not going to the playoffs. They might as well give Georgiev as many games as they can. I'm not sure I'd be changing up much as far as the rest of the lineup though. Chytil and Andersson maybe the last 4-5-6 games of the year. If Kreider's out again--maybe one of them will come up.

Reactions: Mac n Gs and Stasis

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
There's no need to be playing Lundqvist as much as we are. We're not going to the playoffs. They might as well give Georgiev as many games as they can. I'm not sure I'd be changing up much as far as the rest of the lineup though. Chytil and Andersson maybe the last 4-5-6 games of the year. If Kreider's out again--maybe one of them will come up.

Yeah I agree with that. Makes sense. Maybe bring up Bigras or Zborovskiy even, if we can? I'm not sure about waivers at this point. I kinda suck at that part of the business. I should learn more there.

Georgiev has looked good, I'd like to see more. Play him most of the way from now on. I think he'd be a solid backup moving forward.

I'd very much have Chytil and Andersson in for at least 5-6 games though, regardless of injuries. I want them to get some games after being successful in the AHL. If guys are injured or banged up, then I'd bring in Nieves, Lettieri.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah I agree with that. Makes sense. Maybe bring up Bigras or Zborovskiy even, if we can? I'm not sure about waivers at this point. I kinda suck at that part of the business. I should learn more there.

Georgiev has looked good, I'd like to see more. Play him most of the way from now on. I think he'd be a solid backup moving forward.

I'd very much have Chytil and Andersson in for at least 5-6 games though, regardless of injuries. I want them to get some games after being successful in the AHL. If guys are injured or banged up, then I'd bring in Nieves, Lettieri.

I don't think Zborovskiy is ever going to see an NHL game unless he buys a ticket. As far as D Bigras or Sproul might get a shot.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
I don't think Zborovskiy is ever going to see an NHL game unless he buys a ticket. As far as D Bigras or Sproul might get a shot.

Lol, alright. I'll admit I have no clue how some of these guys are playing. I completely forgot about him until I recently checked the Pack roster to see how Andersson and Chytil were doing, tbh =)

edit: Is there no GDT? I guess I'll just tack on that I'm surprised no former Ranger has scored on us. I know Cally got an assist... but we have to expect more. One of the 4 is getting a goal. Has to be. I have a list of each game we have from now until end of season with my prediction of win/loss and potential score. I had this as a 6-2 loss. Kinda thinking I should have run with 8-2. Or maybe 8-1. I forget we don't have Grabner anymore for those random goals. Maybe Namestnikov. Though it seems Spooner/Hayes are pretty much our offense at this point. So, Hayes.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The first 17 shots on goal in the game were by Tampa Bay. That says pretty much all anyone needs to know about whether the Rangers as currently constructed can compete with these guys. They are who we would play the first round against should we manage to squeak in. We would soon go out squeaking too. We're down to 14 games though and time is running out on us pretty damn fast and Kreider might be out again. This season has been pretty much a calamity almost from the beginning.

The Rangers need a new plan, a new identity, it's added new players, younger players, there will be more--we need a new coach who will bring new systems/schemes into play. We had a good run for a while but this team, it's coaching staff and it's veteran leadership could no longer sustain the level of play needed to compete for the playoffs, let alone a championship and so things have fallen apart. Apart from Grabner I would not be bringing back any of the guys we moved. I'd hate to see Zucc go but I can see a good reason for it happening. Staal is another one who might have to leave.

Reactions: Stasis

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
The first 17 shots on goal in the game were by Tampa Bay. That says pretty much all anyone needs to know about whether the Rangers as currently constructed can compete with these guys. They are who we would play the first round against should we manage to squeak in. We would soon go out squeaking too. We're down to 14 games though and time is running out on us pretty damn fast and Kreider might be out again. This season has been pretty much a calamity almost from the beginning.

The Rangers need a new plan, a new identity, it's added new players, younger players, there will be more--we need a new coach who will bring new systems/schemes into play. We had a good run for a while but this team, it's coaching staff and it's veteran leadership could no longer sustain the level of play needed to compete for the playoffs, let alone a championship and so things have fallen apart. Apart from Grabner I would not be bringing back any of the guys we moved. I'd hate to see Zucc go but I can see a good reason for it happening. Staal is another one who might have to leave.

Again I 100% agree with you, I'd love to have Grabs back. Holden too, if we'd play him where he's meant to be played and he earned the same salary, but that won't be the case. I have no idea how we fix this defense. Staal will be hard to move and I loathe the idea of a buyout when combined to what Girardi will cost us the next two seasons. Grabs will want (and deserves) a payday, though. I kind of hope he never finds his game with the Devils and comes back to us (and not the Islanders...) for a decent contract. Clearly he wants to stay in the area.

We really need a new coach, and I hate that. I really liked the energy AV brought and the success we had. Some core guys, I feel, benefited immensely from having learned under Torts and then AV back to back. The combination. But this defense scheme just isn't working at all, and Ruff didn't fix anything, which I also don't like saying. I've always liked Ruff. Defensively we're a tire fire. Top to bottom. And that was a long time strength. It's very jarring to see. Especially when you see Lundqvist, or at least "later in the season Lundqvist" who seems to have longer and longer early rough starts as he ages, playing lights out in some games. And you imagine what he would be with a solid D corps, and D scheme in front of him. We'd have another kick at the can this year for sure if we had, say:

McDonagh - Stralman
Skjei/Staal - Shattenkirk
Skjei/Staal - Holden/Smith (not being terrible).

Coupled with a SOUND defensive strategy that worked with those guys, and with Hank.

And I too truly hate to see Zucc go, but I do think it'll happen. I just hope it's worth it. I will forever love Zucc. One of my all-time favorite Rangers, absolutely. And it'd be REAL hard to see him wear an Eastern rival's colors. Much as he'd love to be reunited or close to bff's Hags and Brass... ugh. Seeing Zucc as a Hab (my issue, since I live here now), Pen, Isle, Deb, Cap... *shudder*.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I am going to guess Hank wants his 30 wins.
That would give him 30 wins in every season he played excluding the strike shortened year.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm not sure this team has 5 wins left in them.

Carolina at home? Not even sure about Buffalo at home. As bad as the Isles suck, the one team they don't suck against is the Rangers, Two, maybe three wins at most. Maybe there's the odd OT loss along the way.. Maybe they get 6-8 points.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I am going to guess Hank wants his 30 wins.
That would give him 30 wins in every season he played excluding the strike shortened year.

Wanting and getting are two different things. We have 14 games left. I would be playing Georgiev in half of them. If Henrik wants to pick out the teams in the 7 games he'd be starting to have his best shot at getting to 30 wins I would give him that. He can play Buffalo, the two Carolina games and the Islanders for instance---for four of his starts. But IMO Henrik's streak of 30 wins every season isn't that important to me when we survey this disaster of a season for what it's worth. He doesn't come before the team--he is part of the team.

And for those who still think this team could and should do everything to move heaven and earth to make the playoffs---last night IMO should give them pause. The first 17 shots on goal before we got our first shot in the first and a Tampa team that scored at will in the 2nd period and didn't seem interested in the third will be coming out stoked for real if they see us in the playoffs and Pionk, DeAngelo, Gilmour and O'Gara as our defenders are going to get destroyed. Does anyone think that Henrik can get us 1 win let alone 4 wins against that team?--let alone the 16 wins need to win a Cup with all or even two or three of Pionk, DeAngelo, Gilmour and O'Gara in our regular rotation? And I think some might ask themselves this question as well....if the Rangers really thought making the playoffs or going deep was a possibility why would they be trading the likes of McDonagh, Nash, Grabner, Miller and Holden for mostly prospects and picks?--players and futures who couldn't help us right now. To me if you approved of those deals then you should know that they weren't made for this year's team.

Reactions: kovazub94 and jas

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Wanting and getting are two different things. We have 14 games left. I would be playing Georgiev in half of them. If Henrik wants to pick out the teams in the 7 games he'd be starting to have his best shot at getting to 30 wins I would give him that. He can play Buffalo, the two Carolina games and the Islanders for instance---for four of his starts. But IMO Henrik's streak of 30 wins every season isn't that important to me when we survey this disaster of a season for what it's worth. He doesn't come before the team--he is part of the team.

And for those who still think this team could and should do everything to move heaven and earth to make the playoffs---last night IMO should give them pause. The first 17 shots on goal before we got our first shot in the first and a Tampa team that scored at will in the 2nd period and didn't seem interested in the third will be coming out stoked for real if they see us in the playoffs and Pionk, DeAngelo, Gilmour and O'Gara as our defenders are going to get destroyed. Does anyone think that Henrik can get us 1 win let alone 4 wins against that team?--let alone the 16 wins need to win a Cup with all or even two or three of Pionk, DeAngelo, Gilmour and O'Gara in our regular rotation? And I think some might ask themselves this question as well....if the Rangers really thought making the playoffs or going deep was a possibility why would they be trading the likes of McDonagh, Nash, Grabner, Miller and Holden for mostly prospects and picks?--players and futures who couldn't help us right now. To me if you approved of those deals then you should know that they weren't made for this year's team.

Great post, @eco's bones ! Giving Hank a shot by playing him in 7-9 out of remaining 14 games is the way to go and if he gets it - great, and if not - he got his chance.

Re. your second paragraph, I might have missed some discussions around here but it is and has been for sometime an unrealistic expectation that the Rangers would make the playoffs. What this group of fans that I count myself in is asking (feel free to call us "playoff pushers" if you will vs. "lottery enthusiasts") is that the team wouldn't mail it in in terms of an effort. Now this is not the same as what coaching staff and front office should be doing in terms of giving ice time to DD, McLeod, Holland etc. I mean what benefit it served to use DD between Kreider and Buch? Why not try Names if Zibanejad is a no go? Why not call Nieves back up? Is O'Gara the last and only option on D?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Great post, @eco's bones ! Giving Hank a shot by playing him in 7-9 out of remaining 14 games is the way to go and if he gets it - great, and if not - he got his chance.

Re. your second paragraph, I might have missed some discussions around here but it is and has been for sometime an unrealistic expectation that the Rangers would make the playoffs. What this group of fans that I count myself in is asking (feel free to call us "playoff pushers" if you will vs. "lottery enthusiasts") is that the team wouldn't mail it in in terms of an effort. Now this is not the same as what coaching staff and front office should be doing in terms of giving ice time to DD, McLeod, Holland etc. I mean what benefit it served to use DD between Kreider and Buch? Why not try Names if Zibanejad is a no go? Why not call Nieves back up? Is O'Gara the last and only option on D?

I want the team to compete and if they win a game here or there that's okay but IMO they are not a good NHL team right now--they are a pretty bad one. Their defense corps is awful. Two or even three of them would be better served in the AHL right now. Skjei is the only top 4 quality defenseman they have right now and he's really at a second pairing level. There are some good forwards but there are no really high quality forwards. They're not really even 4 lines deep. It's like we have 7 2nd liners, 3 3rd liners, a 4th liner, an AHL/NHL tweener and a goon. That's our forward group. I'm sorry but that's not a winning combination. We'll see if Kreider plays today but if he's out the team is even worse.

Reactions: jas

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA

I would vote for sending Hank and Family to Disney World under the guise of wanting to preview Pavlelec an Georgiev to see who will back up Lundqvist next year.
Sam and Joe mentioned on last nights broadcast that Pavelec is close to returning.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Not only will the Rangers make the playoffs, but they will also defeat the Vegas Golden Knights in the Stanley Cup Final. The last game will also be a blowout. You've heard it here, folks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad