[POLL] Do you want the Rangers to Buy at the Deadline?

Do you want the Rangers to buy at the Deadline?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
Igor is about to win the Hart, but somehow we're not a real contender until next year? I'd love someone to explain that logic to me. The team isn't changing this offseason in any meaningful way, other than possibly replacing Strome.
It’s clear as day what this team needs, and as our record shows, if we address those couple of issues we will be right there with the best in the league!

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
It’s clear as day what this team needs, and as our record shows, if we address those couple of issues we will be right there with the best in the league!

Theres a thought out there that theres some kind of checklist every team needs to win a Cup, Its not that complicated. Replace bad players (Georgiev/Chytil/Gauthier) with good players and they are right there with Carolina.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Kravtsov, Geo, McKegg, this years first are all fair game. Don’t touch anyone else.

I don’t want anyone over 27 years old.

This likely doesn’t fall into the definition of buying, though I generally hate rentals, especially at their frequently inflated prices.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kravtsov, Geo, McKegg, this years first are all fair game. Don’t touch anyone else.

I don’t want anyone over 27 years old.

This likely doesn’t fall into the definition of buying, though I generally hate rentals, especially at their frequently inflated prices.

why deal Krav now when logic says you let him play 1st line and he re-establishes his value, then if ya wanna deal you are doing from position of strength?

Indulging Drury w/Krav dealing now is likely a mistake, pending the actual offer.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
to each his own

howev, it is indisputable that short term, Chytil stays b'c Strome is going. Would rather give Gauthier a chance w/a guy who can actually score, as he is at least hustling and providing energy.

Chytil is about as likely to be gone next year as Strome. And I'm glad Gauthier is out there getting his cardio in because in the real world he's played 3rd line all year and has 6 points.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Yeah sure, the team as constructed isn't balanced/complete.
Don't give away the high value assets we have - caveat being unless there's a medium to long term affordable 2nd line centre available and the cost is 'fair'
Grab some depth, check on back-up goalies (can wait until off season), see if there's deals to be made for players in that 23-28 year old bracket who can be here for a while

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
Trade Georgiev. Help teams in the West offload contracts or retain salary on trades to get draft compensation. Use that draft compensation to acquire help for the stretch run.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
why deal Krav now when logic says you let him play 1st line and he re-establishes his value, then if ya wanna deal you are doing from position of strength?

Indulging Drury w/Krav dealing now is likely a mistake, pending the actual offer.
Because I don’t see him ever playing for NYR, and the youth premium will only erode from here.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
No. This team just can't compete with Carolina, Pittsburgh, or a playoff experienced Capitals no matter what they add and Shesterkin is not being to able to steal whole series against teams outshooting him 2-1 that already have excellent goaltending. The Rangers had an opportunity to load up with their prospects and picks and become a true contender, but Sather/Gorton/Drury blew that chance and blew the rebuild. The window has closed before it even opened.

Complete and utter hogwash. They are still a very young team with an elite Dman, elite goalie, some top forwards, and young guys like Laf, Kakko, Miller, Schneider still developing, a top 5 prospect pool that includes Lundkvist-Jones-Robertson-Berard-Othmann-Cuylle etc, good coach, and plenty of future draft picks. The one thing this team needs to address is bottom 6 scoring depth which is probably the easiest thing to do. Their window is just opening.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Yes. Igor is having an all-time historic season. This very well be the best year of his career. Need to try to take advantage of it. Have plenty of cap space to take on any rental(s). They do not have room on big club for all of the defensive prospects, so will have to eventually go. Have had 9 1st round picks in last 5 years, can afford to trade one this year without screwing everything up down the line.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I feel like these 4 years with Igor while Panarin is still elite are going to be the window. Bottom 6 is a mess. Lehkonen goes a long way to solving that. I don’t know if we need a flashy center to replace Strome, but god am I sick of him and Panarin’s wonder twins schtick

Reactions: Boris Zubov

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Positives: not many playoff teams have what we have in terms of elite forward, Norris winner, possible vezina/hart winner (just TBL?)

Excellent power play. Decent penalty kill.

We proved we can come back in games both with force and to steal them.

Proved we can close games.

Career year elder statesman (CK)

Negatives: not many playoff teams have our major issues - non existent 5v5 effectiveness, non existent bottom 6 in terms of offense, lack of diversified playoff experience, non existent back up goalie, McKegg, and lack of dangerous goal scoring threat from the blue line.

In the playoffs, in my opinion, the negatives above shine brighter due to their nature (aside from back up). For that reason, for all the success the team has had this year, we shouldn't be favorites to win any round this year. This is NOT our deep playoff run team in terms of personnel. So many moves to make in the next few years.

Last edited:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Igor is about to win the Hart, but somehow we're not a real contender until next year? I'd love someone to explain that logic to me. The team isn't changing this offseason in any meaningful way, other than possibly replacing Strome.

Buffalo was rarely a contender when they had Hasek.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Affordable adds. I think we need a 3rd liner who can play C or at least take draws, a 4th liner grinda who can pk, and a depth D who can play both sides. I think Seattle and Chicago has everything we need.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Complete and utter hogwash. They are still a very young team with an elite Dman, elite goalie, some top forwards, and young guys like Laf, Kakko, Miller, Schneider still developing, a top 5 prospect pool that includes Lundkvist-Jones-Robertson-Berard-Othmann-Cuylle etc, good coach, and plenty of future draft picks. The one thing this team needs to address is bottom 6 scoring depth which is probably the easiest thing to do. Their window is just opening.
Yes. The hard work is already done and in place with our "stars". If Drury cannot make this work with what we have already, then he needs to find the door. Every conceivable possibility has been stated already here......now, all Drury has to do is be frugal to some degree and NOT giving away the assets so easily as they are some of the players that will provide sustainability.
Obviously "if there's a chance" allow Kravtsov to play this year, (not only do we need him) but, GOOD THINGS can only come from that. Who knows, the team gets to liking him and what he brings whilst forgetting the bad stuff and chalking it up to his immaturity AND bad representation.
Regardless, he will at least bump up his VALUE and next year is another year.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
yes

life is short. no one ever laid on their deathbed wishing their favorite team had just accumulated more draft capital.
that is only true if the world ends like tomorrow or if reality changes from a video to a still picture. Then and in that event, AND ONLY in such instance, what you said is true.
Howev, in a reality where what you sow today you will reap tomorrow, and when you want to win as much as possible for as long as possible, you need the most talent, which you can hope to manage, plus luck, which you cannot. The Yankees and Canadiens of old just bought talent. Hard cap now longer allows that. Therefore, squirrel as much draft pick/prospects/other asset capital as much as possible, to be ahead of the cap and control it as much as possible rather than it controlling you.
Don't squander anything, try to trade up where possible to add quality.
But build, build, build. Do not waste assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad