Pokemon Thread #24 - UltraPokemon UltraThread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I didn't want to get greedy at GameStop, so I only asked for two of the Silvally codes (both for me). I will visit another location maybe next week in case anyone here needs one.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I don't know how to do spoilers here, but since I don't think this is a massive spoiler of any sort (white text) :
KOMMO-O NOW LEARNS CLOSE COMBAT, SUPERPOWER AND DRAIN PUNCH
LUCARIO NOW LEARNS METEOR MASH.
KARTANA GETS IRON HEAD AND KNOCK OFF

wtfff

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Defog as a move tutor is great, and if anything makes singles more bearable. Really don't understand how it could be a bad thing.
The game is more fun and varied when entry hazards are a factor. Being able to remove them with little opportunity cost in teambuilding tips the scales too much. There needs to be a healthy balance.

The game has steadily been getting more and more matchup-based and this is another step in that direction.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
The game is more fun and varied when entry hazards are a factor. Being able to remove them with little opportunity cost in teambuilding tips the scales too much. There needs to be a healthy balance.

The game has steadily been getting more and more matchup-based and this is another step in that direction.
I've never been a fan of entry hazards, and I don't really agree that they add any amount of real variety to the game. Just creates a battle of attrition rather than skill. Going to come down to play style preferences if you like this move or not, I guess.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
made this quickly as a meme for another forum

but ... guys, this would look so adorbs
2a30503b87.jpg

Reactions: wingsnut19

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Because Defog was only the most useless HM (in D/P/Pt) in the history of the series.
As an in game move you're right, it isn't very useful. But for competitive play it is excellent. It brings access to a hazard clearing option for Battle Spot that has been very limited. So I'm pretty excited for it.

And it is a move tutor now, not a TM. I don't think it will be necessary for use throughout the story.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Was catching some junk for wonder trade and a Caterpie was SOS calling. Third call, Shiny spawned!

Trying to get a Shiny a charmander before UM. Did manage to breed a Jolly 5 IV one though

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Was catching some junk for wonder trade and a Caterpie was SOS calling. Third call, Shiny spawned!

Trying to get a Shiny a charmander before UM. Did manage to breed a Jolly 5 IV one though

I accidentally hatched a shiny one when I was trying to consolidate some of my egg move mons so they could take up less space in teh bank. Absolute garbage IVs/nautre/moveset because it was only meant to hold 4 different, non-synergistic egg moves, but it's now my 2nd shiny charmander (the first one I got was while trying to breed up to my "perfect" 5/6 IV/right nature/right ability breeder)

I have weird shiny luck. I've hatched 3-5 shiny mons just while breeding one or two eggs as intermediate steps in chains, then it took me like 1300 eggs to get my shiny scyther and I'm probably also up to 700 now with no shiny noibat.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I accidentally hatched a shiny one when I was trying to consolidate some of my egg move mons so they could take up less space in teh bank. Absolute garbage IVs/nautre/moveset because it was only meant to hold 4 different, non-synergistic egg moves, but it's now my 2nd shiny charmander (the first one I got was while trying to breed up to my "perfect" 5/6 IV/right nature/right ability breeder)

I have weird shiny luck. I've hatched 3-5 shiny mons just while breeding one or two eggs as intermediate steps in chains, then it took me like 1300 eggs to get my shiny scyther and I'm probably also up to 700 now with no shiny noibat.

I feel that Egg hatching is much safer, but at the same time, I feel like it's so much more grindy. Sandygast took me well over 1500 eggs almost a week of just hatching eggs, while Mimikyu took only 42 eggs.

Charmander is looking like one of those grindy ones.

Gotta say though, this is the first game where I've shiny hunted and I've really enjoyed it.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
What's the fun in literally knowing EVERYTHING about the game before official release?

I just saw a thread "location of all pokemon in USUM". Come on.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I must have hatched close to 5000 eggs in Sun (I do not have the Shiny Charm) since I enjoy breeding for moves and stuff. No shiny...

Baseline shiny odds are like 1:4100, so that's actually not too unreasonable. Are you using the Masuda Method?

The odds #s I've read around the internet are supposedly:

Baseline odds: 1 in 4096
Add Shiny Charm: 3x probability modifier
Masuda Method: allegedly 4x probability modifier, but the math doesn't check out)
SOS Chain (only for chained mons 70-255): 4x probability modifier

But according to Bulbapedia's BulbaHandbook for SuMo, the actual odds for various situations are:

Baseline breeding/encounter rate (no masuda, no shiny charm, SOS chain <70): 1 in 4,096
Breeding/encountering with shiny charm (no chain, no masuda): 1 in 1,365
SOS chaining (70-255, no shiny charm): 1 in 1,024
SOS chaining & shiny charm (70-255): 1 in 683
Breeding with Masuda (no shiny charm): 1 in 683
Breeding with Masuda & shiny charm: 1 in 512

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
What's the fun in literally knowing EVERYTHING about the game before official release?

I just saw a thread "location of all pokemon in USUM". Come on.
I want to see the Pokémon and new movesets and all but I don't check anything else. So the story is still unspoiled to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad