Pokemon Go thread #4

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Raid bosses and wild spawns are 5 levels above their max in the boosted weather.

I just caught a L35 Jynx. L25 Ho-Ohs are a thing.

Shiny Absol and Mawile in raids.

I LOVE the stardust boost for weather types.

Gyarados becomes a monster with Waterfall. Ninetales is now able to be solo'd.

Is Niantic finally making this game fun again?

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Partly cloudy here. Catching lvl 35 Rhyhorns and Geodudes. Also got a ~2800 Rhydon.

Nothing too exciting for new Pokemon so far.

I always hoped they'd implement weather and have it affect spawns/graphics, but boosting/nerfing wild Pokemon levels/stats, attack effectiveness, and bonus stardust. I must admit that I'm impressed with this feature so far.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Tons of Gulpins around here with the cloudy skies.

Not long after I posted it became cloudy and its boosts fairy, fighting and poison. Found a koffing, azumarril and mankey when i opened the app. :laugh: So nice to know that weather feature works.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Pretty excited Gyarados got waterfall. I already have two 90%+ IV Gyarados fully maxed and another that's like 80% thats about 2500 CP. I'll probably max that one out now too. I still have another 450~ Magikarp candy I'm waiting on another strong Magikarp for. Behold my army of Gyarados!! I'm glad Magikarps are so common in my area.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Finally got an ExRaid pass for the 11th.....

.....guess who's flying out of the country for vacation on the 7th? (shakes fist at Niantic)

My buddy managed to snag it for me. 80% IVs, powered it up but not to max just in case I get another pass in the near future.

Was an interesting experience playing in Thailand/Vietnam without my usual raid group and help of a local scanner. Thanks to the gridlock of Bangkok/Saigon, I got a ton of free mileage from being stuck in long bus/taxi rides. At some point in Thailand, I came across a wild Blastoise; I can't remember ever seeing one pop up around here.

On the last day of Ho-oh, I (mostly) skipped dinner with the tour group to sneak in one last raid. I had a small bite and my stomach wasn't feeling great after. My cousin got full blown food poisoning that night and was out of commission for the next few days. So Pokemon might have saved me from a similar fate.

In Saigon, crossing the street is almost like a game of Frogger. Didn't quite have full faith that I wouldn't be hit by a moped. That first night I wasn't planning on dealing with one particular crazy intersection on foot (plus I was warned that it was a sketchy part of town). Then a wild Hariyama popped up and I dodged traffic for it.

I also enjoyed that the game more or less predicted by gyms/Pokestops the exact path I was supposed to take in this other resort town. My dad almost took us in the wrong direction coming back, but I was able to navigate us with the app.

I was only able to do one Groudon raid over there, so I've been making up for lost time. Did four today which were my first weather aided raids. Certainly nice to get a level 25 raid boss.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Seviper and Zangoose switched spawn locations, so Seviper is now available in North/South America and vice versa for Zangoose.

Also hear Tauros spawns have been increased.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
And here I was flaunting the Sevipers I caught during my vacation in Asia. I got greedy and tried to pinap a Feebas on the way to work; It fled after the first ball. Haven't seen any Lotad spawns.

Picked up 100% Makuhita (L33) and Omanyte (L35) the last two nights. On New Year's Day, picked up 100% Wailmer (L23) and Slakoth (L27). Carpooled with some others that I was raiding with and somebody made the observation that we were fortunate that it was a holiday because there would have been no way we could have gotten to Wailmer in time during typical weekday rush hour traffic.

A couple nights ago, did a couple Groudon raids with my coworker. The first one ran on him. At the second raid, he says he's down to two balls and asked me to try to catch it. It ended up being a perfect IV one and he was completely unaware. He's using an older phone, so the animation is not smooth at all which throws off the timing. But luckily I was able to get an excellent on the first throw and it stayed in.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Anyone still playing? We have a small group around here (20ish people) that play pretty hardcore. I hit 40 a couple days ago and it really changes the focus on the game (star dust is everything now). I'm really liking the star pieces and weather effects. I feel like if this was the game they originally released, there would still be a lot more people playing

Also, still no EX pass for me. 235 raids so far.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Anyone still playing? We have a small group around here (20ish people) that play pretty hardcore. I hit 40 a couple days ago and it really changes the focus on the game (star dust is everything now). I'm really liking the star pieces and weather effects. I feel like if this was the game they originally released, there would still be a lot more people playing

Also, still no EX pass for me. 235 raids so far.

We have a very active raid group here. Unfortunately I can't raid much. But I do play daily, make sure I get my gym coins, and spin and catch where I can.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Small, but dedicated groups still playing around my neck of the woods. There's a dozen Instinct folks who I generally raid with in order to maximize our chances. I work in a tech area, so there's probably a higher concentration of players here compared to other places. But if I didn't have a regular group, I can't imagine I would have been as active as I am.

I was running errands on Saturday, so I missed out on a Groudon raid at a park that's been a Mewtwo spot several times. Seemingly half the group got an ExRaid pass last night. Also missed out on a 100% L35 Ralts.

It's been partly cloudy for the last week, so I've been missing out on weather boosted Groudons. Still haven't had a chance at a good IV one.

Gradually adding a Feebas a day. Finally saw some Lotad appear on a local scanner. Also kicking myself for not evolving a Snorunt earlier. I had been saving for a mass evolution to get to Level 35, so I had more than enough candy. But I kept discarding with the intention of evolving one with good IVs. But I forgot to keep at least one before the ice event ended. So now I have an annoying empty spot on my Pokedex.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Caught Mewtwo today. We had 10 people, and it went down fast.

Nice! I had to do one for a friend who couldn't be there at the raid time. We had enough people to split into two groups of ~10.

It's been raining here the last couple of days. Everybody was hoping that the in game weather was going to shift to windy for the weather boost, but no dice.

I've seen exactly one Lotad.

I didn't see any until a couple nights ago when we had a storm roll through. First one I caught happened to be a 91% Level 33, so that might end up being the one I keep to evolve.

Slowly grinding on Feebas candy. Caught a Level 34 weather boosted one last night with max attack. So that might end up being the one I walk 20km.

Picked up an out of town friend last night with the intention of squeezing in a Groudon raid before meeting her friends for dinner. Then I got a text from a friend saying that an Unown had spawned. Luckily we were only a few miles away and got there comfortably. Third Unown [s, o, c] for me and my friend got her first.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I was shocked at how quick it went down, but we had two 40s, two 39s, and a 38 in the raid (halfway to 37 here). Ours had Confusion/Hyper Beam and I was leading with 3 Tyranitar and a Scizor.

Mine ended up being 14/10/14, which I'm pretty happy with considering I've seen a lot of people end up with a Mewtwo with a lower end attack.

I was holding out hope for wind, but we had our standard partly cloudy (usually that or cloudy). We did have fog all evening the night before which would've been interesting.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
In the off chance you didn't already know, Kyogre was released a couple days ago which was a pleasant surprise. Definitely a tougher throw than Groudon. Bunch of us completely missed on our throws the first time and I'm still having difficulty hitting great throws consistently.

It was nice on Friday night, two level five eggs were hatching right next to each other at nearly the same time. I was hoping for one Kyogre and one Groudon (it was the last clear night in the forecast before the 15th, so possibly the last chance for me to get a weather boosted Groudon). It panned out and one of the raids was at a Starbucks. A bunch of friends and I then got an ExRaid pass as a result today. The Kyogre raid that night also netted me a 2323 (15/14/15).

There was an unofficial meetup in Santa Monica today hosted by a bunch of the Pokemon Go YouTube folks. I took my nephew since he's a fan of a couple of them. Probably a few hundred people showed up, but it was a bit of a mess with the meet and greet. So we ended up leaving and doing a couple raids. It was pretty crazy with the sheer number of people in the area playing. My nephew and I joined the public room and ended up in separate raid groups which immediately hit capacity. The Santa Monica pier is a renowned spawn point.....unfortunately I learned today that it's also a dead spot for T-Mobile. But at least my nephew was able to clean up on those clusters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad