Pohl and Pavlikovski having strong camps for the Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
link

"Mayers was on a line with two prospects who have earned more than swift glances. John Pohl and Rastislav Pavlikovski each had two assists Friday. Pohl, who set a rookie record for most points last season with minor-league Worcester, swept behind the net to set up Christian Backman's goal. A gifted scorer, Pohl has soaked up information from Doug Weight to develop his skills as a scoring-line center. However, he could play now at left wing.

Pohl "is all of sudden picking up his game and showing the type of player we expected coming into camp," Blues coach Joel Quenneville said.

Pavlikovski, a free agent plucked from Minnesota's system just days before camp opened, is from Dubnica, Slovakia. His older brother is a pal ofDubnica's own Pavol Demitra. The young Pavlikovski is one of about 15 who trains and plays in the offseason with Demitra.

He led the Blues with six assists during the scrimmage tournament. A left winger, Pavlikovski sparked the Blues' first goal Friday by seeing a seam and zipping into open ice while on the power play. In the clear, he passed to Peter Sejna, who scored for a 1-0 lead.

"Geez, he reminds of when all the Slovaks we had were flying around that year," Quenneville said. "He's a cross between (Lubos Bartecko) and Pav."

DW

May 3, 2003
MN
Visit site
Pohl:

I don't think any Gopher fan will disagree about his scoring ability. He has plenty of skill in this department. It just seems he's not a real fluid skater. My personal player similar to him would be Brunette from the Wild.

Nick Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DW said:
Pohl:

I don't think any Gopher fan will disagree about his scoring ability. He has plenty of skill in this department. It just seems he's not a real fluid skater. My personal player similar to him would be Brunette from the Wild.

I think most Blues fans would be very happy if Pohl turned out to be a player like Brunette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad