GDT: PO Game 5: Columbus at Washington | 4/21 3PM | NBC, NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
And Bread seems to have gotten stale on the Big Stage. He has done nothing the last two games. In fact I think his presence tiday was actually a negative factor. And that to me is the first time that has ever happened.
He’s toast, and what I mean is that he was run into the ground with Torts rolling 3 lines

Reactions: Jackets Fan

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Should have looked at a how to on YouTube. Brakes are easy to do.

Absolutely. Save yourself a TON of money, learn a new skill and do a better job than the shop because you care about your car. I recently replaced my brakes and found that the shop never reconnected my sway bar. It was just hanging in the plastic shield understand the car from when I had it in for engine mounts because I didn't have time to do it myself.
Agree on YouTube. A lot of step by step on there.

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
now-this-is-not-the-end-it-is-not-even-the-beginning-of-the-end-but-it-is-perhaps-the-end-of-the-beginning-73636.jpg

That's the spirit! With apologies to Sir Winston...

"We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in <Columbus>, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend <Nationwide Arena>, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Reactions: We Want Ten

Lew Haimerl

Apr 21, 2018
I have not posted on here since Howson was fired. Best day in Vlue Jacket history. However, after today I have 2 thoughts. I know I am a dinosaur, but why did nobody beat Wilson ro a pulp after the hit on Wenneberg? Second, why has nobody put Oshie in the 3rd row? He has killed us for 3 years. Time to play physical & light them up. We cannot outskate a team that has some of the best players in the world. We cannot let them stand in front of Bob unobstructed. It happened twice tonight.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Some of you guys need to chill. They weren't expected to win the series. We won games 1-2 in overtime, lost games 3 and 5 in OT. It literally could have gone either way. This is a close series. Did they blow it? Yeah. The series is likely over, but so what. They didn't lose to some scrub team. Done following the team? Replacing Torts as coach if/when they lose in 6? Come on, man.

this is coming from ME, no less.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Proud to say that I abstained from posting in today’s GDT.

I’m hopeful the Jackets pull thru for the home fans Monday night.

Go Jackets.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
It think it's also a lack of playoff success experience. Good enough to get in but not enough to move beyond.

In a league entered mostly by joint draft every team and even majority of the players have very succesful play-off experience. I would began with demystifying the whole notion of play-offs and just speaking of a game of ice hockey. In example of the use of weather observation pucks versus controlled offence beginning by a drop down or with a delay to gather everyone up and keep the distances between defence and forwards short.

Any team resembling this era of Blue Jackets (which does not span much longer than the previous lockout) has also faced two good teams in Pittsburgh and Washington D.C.. I wouldn't be so quick to change personnel as to open up to ideas of the game in the long summer. Of course there is the game seven to be still played.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

AZRoadRunner

CBJ Tucson
Mar 29, 2014
Arizona
I'm going to push back on the narrative that Torts has "worn down" his players. It's not supported by the data. Let's look at Game 5.

Here are the 4th lines (with TOI/#shifts in parentheses):

Caps 4th line Vrana(7:16/11)-Beagle(11:39/19)-Chiasson(7:43/15)
CBJ 4th line Bjorkstrand(11:08/17)-Letestu(7:51/15)-Dubinsky(7:28/15)

So Trotz used his 4th line guys about as much as Torts used his. Keep in mind that Beagle plays on the Caps' PK as well.

Let's look at the top two lines from each team:

Caps 1st line Ovechkin(23:40/27)-Kuznetsov(24:04/27)-Wilson(23:28/31)
CBJ 1st line Panarin(27:11/29)-Dubois(23:57/30)-Atkinson(28:25/34)

Caps 2nd line Stephenson(20:38/30)-Backstrom(22:41/27)-Oshie(20:59/25)
CBJ 2nd line Jenner(19:32/25)-Wennberg(18:00/25)-Vanek(18:09/25)

Caps had 4 PPs and CBJ had 5 PPs. That accounts for some of the extra ice time for the CBJ 1st liners --- in addition to extra ice time in OT. The Jackets hardly have the skill and experience in the top 2 forward lines that the Caps have, so relying a little more on your 1st line makes sense for Torts.

Recall too that the Jackets outshot the Caps 16 - 1 in the 3rd period. They weren't worn out --- they were humming.

Shortening the bench in the postseason is typical.

If there is criticism of the CBJ - esp in Game 5 - I would focus on the PP. CBJ had 5 chances on the PP and failed to convert any of them. Columbus is also taking too many penalties - a team like the Caps will make you pay. Finally, you generally don't want playoff games to go to OT --- fluky things can happen to end the game: deflection, lucky bounce, bad turnover, etc. CBJ had their chances in regulation and did not capitalize. But the Jackets could just as easily have won it. The fact that they didn't wasn't due to Torts wearing down his guys.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm not going to look too far into this, because frankly I can watch the game and see that our top line isn't what it was the first 3 games. Having said that, I don't have to look at the Toi numbers to know that AO's numbers suggest that he's probably getting around 18 minutes of 5 on 5. Panarin is probably quite a bit higher.

Coaches do what they feel like they have to do. A lot of that is driven by player performance. The FO will do the HC analysis in the only way that matters.

I feel like the previous post is spinning the best possible light on the situation. I can see that many of our players are not as effective as they were earlier in the series. Even with the shot total difference in the third, I didn't' really feel like the Jackets were really taking over the game.

I appreciate the response, but I think there is truth here and I don't feel like it's not being told. It feels more like we're pushing our agenda's. That's not a criticism, it's human nature.

I will say that Wennberg's return was welcome and needed. I would also say that Calvert should be extended. 65 still has a way to go. Savard is in the exact role he should be in. Other than a couple of crazy shifts, this is some of his best hockey as a Jacket. I'm sorry, but I don't see the value in Foligno outside of his leadership.

I think we need to make some hard decisions this offseason.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I will say that Wennberg's return was welcome and needed. I would also say that Calvert should be extended. 65 still has a way to go. Savard is in the exact role he should be in. Other than a couple of crazy shifts, this is some of his best hockey as a Jacket. I'm sorry, but I don't see the value in Foligno outside of his leadership.

I think we need to make some hard decisions this off season.

Before this series I was pretty sure Calvert would be gone but now I'm tending to agree with you.
And I definitely agree with your last sentence.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
I can see that many of our players are not as effective as they were earlier in the series. Even with the shot total difference in the third, I didn't' really feel like the Jackets were really taking over the game.

Yet there seemed to have no third period fatigue such as what the opponent apparently now suffered after Columbus had theirs earlier in the series... and the Blackhawks took all the way until overtime to recover from theirs. Maybe it isn't wasn't the easy answer or even the right question this time around.

Atkinson is the weakest link in the first line. His skill does not fit into the highest idea of play in unit yet he can counter-attack very well. I would put Josh Anderson Enterprises in his place to have some drive and war zone time now that the team is in good pursuit positions.

Nutivaara's prominent rise to opponent zone has couple times in this series led into a Columbus goal in the next shift which is probably just a coincidence... beside brother Jones, no one else is exactly contributing to offence in this tide turning way.

I think a Calvert extension would be misread since he doesn't mesh that well into the overall game, requiring very specialized vertical role. Even then he is not that effective, in the long game.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Yet there seemed to have no third period fatigue such as what the opponent apparently now suffered after Columbus had theirs earlier in the series... and the Blackhawks took all the way until overtime to recover from theirs. Maybe it isn't wasn't the easy answer or even the right question this time around.

Atkinson is the weakest link in the first line. His skill does not fit into the highest idea of play in unit yet he can counter-attack very well. I would put Josh Anderson Enterprises in his place to have some drive and war zone time now that the team is in good pursuit positions.

Nutivaara's prominent rise to opponent zone has couple times in this series led into a Columbus goal in the next shift which is probably just a coincidence... beside brother Jones, no one else is exactly contributing to offence in this tide turning way.

I think a Calvert extension would be misread since he doesn't mesh that well into the overall game, requiring very specialized vertical role. Even then he is not that effective, in the long game.

Needless to say I find this analysis (?) flawed. Plus the style kind of creeps me out. Cheers.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Just have to find a way to win the next game. This series is so close a game 7 is almost mandatory. Relax and get ready to enjoy the next one. Stanley Cup series are battles won over time with ebbs and flows by each team. I still feel it for the Jackets. One home win away from putting real pressure on those Caps who struggle when the heat gets dialed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad