PLZ Help Me Out With A Stick Guys

greekdrummer

Jan 2, 2007
tampa,fl
I am 13 and I'm going to start playing ice hockey. I really like shooting wristshots with a streethockey ball/puck as opposed to slapshots. I have never really shot a real slapshot like with the flex on the ice, so I dont know if I will get better at it. What CCM, Easton, Bauer, Mission stick and curve would you recommend under $100 that will let me shoot nice wristers and let me raise them pretty easy? I am thinking about this in a Recchi curve http://www.hockeygiant.com/ccmv6stkint.html. I like CCM a lot, do you think I should get that stick? Also, I am a righty and I would prefer a stick from hockey giant because I will be spending enough to get a free jersey.:) Im going to the rink to skate this weekend so I will be able to pick up and feel some sticks so give me some good suggestions by Fri and Sat. Thanks guys

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
I would always recommend trying a pattern out on an wooden stick before buying a composite. If you prefer wrist shots then you want a lighter flex, so i would look for something in the 75 flex range. Raising wrist shots is all in your technique, the only thing different is the toe, a more rounded toe will help you roof the puck from closer in, which is why more forwards have rounded toes than defensemen.

Other sticks i would consider from Hockey Giant would be the vapor VIII and also the Bauer One50.

Edit: Slapshots are also technique, have a coach show you how to take one, and then lets say you go with the Recchi curve, buy an outdoor puck and a wooden one piece stick and practice. That's the best way i can tell you to improve is to shoot whenever you can, stand 20ft away or so and pick a target and keep hitting it, then start doing it while moving. I used to string empty soda cans from my crossbar and try and hit those, really helped me out a lot.

sacred

Mar 2, 2006
Brampton
CCM: Thornton/Jagr/Recchi
Easton: Sakic/Gaborik/Heatley
Nike Bauer: Kovalchuk/Hossa/Gagne
Rbk: Datsyuk/Bergeron/Modano
Mission: McCauley/Leopold/Rafalski

I personally use a Lindros curve but any of these will let you raise shots easily. Recchi is similar to Lindros but with bigger curve size.

gongshow

Jun 9, 2004
etown
for wristers and getting it up, i would defiently use a toe curve.... I personally use a sakic and have always loved it, but with sakics they go up to easy so you have to be able to control the puck, and once you do its like butter, its just that easy... and aim for about a 75 flex probley would be your best bet, they make cheap synergys(or similar version) in easton models

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
Most people who try the Sakic looove it. I know I do. I know some people who have used it since they started playing hockey and refuse to use anything else. I found that it was a big adjustment from my Coffey Curve sherwood (still is after about 7-8 games).

The very first shot i took with it in warm ups i rang off my goalies mask...and believe me, I always shoot low in warm ups. I'm also having trouble flipping pucks up, like into the bench when warmups are through, or to my hand to give to the reff (get out of jail free card sometimes). And when i do flip it off the ground, usually too high.

blablalbla point is I recommend Sakic if you go Easton, I've never seen someone disappointed with it. And with sticks themselves, same thing, they seem to set the par.

*btw Gaborik curve is wicked, you gotta see it to understand. I can just imagine a wrister with that thing....look into that, might be fun if you can deal with it haha.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
I have played with the Gaborik, it is ridiculous how fast the puck comes off the blade with that curve, the twisted face makes stickhandling a pain in the ass.

greekdrummer

Jan 2, 2007
tampa,fl
ok well guys keep offering suggestions because im going to a rink on fri night so i will have the chance to feel some sticks and curves.

Geogaddi

Book Hockey
Nov 2, 2005
Dallas
I myself use the CCM Vector 6.0 Shaft with a Warrior Draper Blade. The Draper i believe is the same pattern as a Sakic (easton), if your wanting to try different brands or what not. I've fallen in love with that combo, and feels just as light as any one-piece stick. Give it a Try.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If you are just starting out go with a light wood stick in a pattern you like. Preferably a small curve so you can learn how to use the blade effectively. Maybe a Sherwood 5030 in a Spezza or a Bauer One60 (might have the number wrong) in a Lindros or Hossa curve.

colton23

Sep 10, 2006
I used to be all easton and i found a good deal on a reebok so i thought i would try it way better than easton and alot lighter on your wallet on hockey monkey they have reebok 2-pieces that are really good value the 4k shaft comes with 3 4k blades for like 60-80 dollars and they are tanks i reccomend the datsyuk curve its sweeeeeeet:yo:

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Then it might be a little late to ask for a stick suggestion from HG now, right? Also, Naslund uses a One60 wood stick, does that mean that he's a n00b? :sarcasm:

Regardless, some suggestions.

http://www.hockeygiant.com/ccmv6stkint.html
Lecavalier Curve

http://www.hockeygiant.com/nbhaplostkbkoint.html
P92 (i.e. Naslund Curve, which is the same as the Sakic)
P88 (i.e. Lindros Curve)

These two sticks are on the cheaper end, and they should be more than enough for a new Ice Hockey player. They aren't severely open curves - they are slightly open, which will force you to train your shot in order to really raise it.

Another option is for you to pick up a couple of Nike One40 woodies with the Naslund or Hossa curve, the CCM V40/V50 sticks with the Recchi or Lecavalier curve, or Sherwood 9930/5530 woodies with the Crosby curve. They are good sticks, and will last you for a while. A lot of players use wood sticks on ice even now.

Last edited:

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
A lot of common Joes like me use wood sticks too. ;) It's just a reminder that composite one-piece sticks are a big investment, especially if you aren't sure what curves you'd like to use, or if you're still growing and might move on to senior-sized sticks soon.

If you aren't sure what curve you would want to use, I'd suggest for you to pick up a durable shaft (Nike Bauer Endure or Vapor XV shaft, Easton Synergy ST, Mission M-2, TPS Redlite*** <== Highly recommended) and get a few wood or composite blades, so you can experiment with the curves. Start out with the Naslund/Sakic, Lecavalier, Hossa, or Crosby curves first, then move on from there. Those curves are pretty good for a bit of everything.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
oh yeah! makes the forsberg look like a banana.

**waits for someone to mention the crosby retail not being a small curve and the "I use a crosby blade and it has a nice big curve to it" comment**

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
oh yeah! makes the forsberg look like a banana.

**waits for someone to mention the crosby retail not being a small curve and the "I use a crosby blade and it has a nice big curve to it" comment**

:D

When I saw the pic of the pro curve, I was like, WTH?? :amazed:

The retail curve is nice, a bit more open than a Sakic, solid, and not TOO curved.

greekdrummer

Jan 2, 2007
tampa,fl
hey i went to the rinks shop and felt the bauer one50. it feels pretty good and i think it will be good to start with. it had the st louis curve and i liked it and the guy said its a curve that is ok for wristers and slapshots. i think im gonna buy this stick in 67 flex which is half my weight and it was not to hard but not to easy to flex so i think thats perfect.:)

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Honestly I think as long as you get the correct lie you'll grow into your curve. That's why I'd agree with TBLfan when he suggests one without much of a curve because it will help you become a better passer and will help you receive passes on your backhand. These two things are way more helpful than having a wicked shot when you first make the jump to ice because you're probably not going to get that many opportunities to let one fly until your release gets quicker.

I play with a Coffey curve and to this day wish I could find one with less curve that I would feel comfortable with. I got a Gagne curve (still has a pretty good curve to it) and I'm not a fan because I'm so set in my ways with the Coffey one.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
There is NO curve that is "good for wristers and slapshots." Look at Lecavalier, he uses a blade that is similar to a lidstrom(retail). He has a very nice wrister and a nice slapper. Brad Richards uses a mid/toe curve, has a very good wrister and a pretty good slapper(when he actually shoots). Crosby uses a nearly flat blade, has a great shot. Ovechkin uses a sakic-ish(retail) blade, has a great shot. Brett Hull used a mid-curve similar to an iginla(retail) with a little more loft and he had a great shot and an amazing slap shot.

Learn to shoot with a small curve and adjust your curve to fit your form(after you learn the correct form), don't adjust your form to fit the pattern you buy.

tyler9

Mar 23, 2007
hey..you should look at the new rbk sickicks there nice sticks and there nice for taking wrist shots and slap shot and for a curve it all depends on what type you like .and there not heavy at all:)

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
CCM: Thornton/Jagr/Recchi
Easton: Sakic/Gaborik/Heatley
Nike Bauer: Kovalchuk/Hossa/Gagne
Rbk: Datsyuk/Bergeron/Modano
Mission: McCauley/Leopold/Rafalski

I personally use a Lindros curve but any of these will let you raise shots easily. Recchi is similar to Lindros but with bigger curve size.

does bergeron even have a curve?? i've tried to find one for my RBK 7k and it only looks like hes signed by RBK but they havent given him a design yet..

if he does have his own curve...where can i find it??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->