Please no McCabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I'm a Leaf fan but a Canadian first and I don't want him on our Olympic team he's a disaster waiting to happen. He emplodes in the big games running around out of control taking needles penalties, his defensive zone coverage is horrible, this guy could cost us a Gold Medal he just can't get it done, his only asset is his shot from the point and the league has adjusted and he's not nearly as effective as he was in the first half. Phaneuf, Boumeester, Stuart, and Phillips are all much more rounded defenceman who can play all zones and can keep their cool in pressure situation's. I've watched him come apart in the last two playoff series with Philly he can't take a hit without taking a retalatory penalty, did the same thing the other night against Ovechkin when the kid schooled him, when the TEAM CANADA brain trust came to see him in December at the ACC he was horrific coughing up the puck getting caught up the ice contantly. He's just not a World Class player the other guys have proven their worth Internationally.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
I'll wait until he screws up first before blasting him and saying he shouldn't be on the team. Besides, he can't be any worse than Jovo. And it's not like we're going to be depending on him to be the #1 dman. He'll likely be getting 10-15 minutes a game (with a good chunk of that being PP time). Not everyone can be as good as a Niedermayer or a Pronger.

o-dog

May 24, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I think that Phaneuf would be a much better choice. Normally, I wouldn't want a 20 yr old rookie d-man anywhere near a team of this calibre however, Phaneuf is not normal. Not going to happen of course as the Team Canada brain trust is all about experience and wary of youth...

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
o-dog said:
I think that Phaneuf would be a much better choice. Normally, I wouldn't want a 20 yr old rookie d-man anywhere near a team of this calibre however, Phaneuf is not normal. Not going to happen of course as the Team Canada brain trust is all about experience and wary of youth...

considering the olympics are only once every 4 years, "experience" means little or nothing in these situations

unfortunately, gretzky & co. are more interested in pleasing their buddies than putting together the best team possible

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
PapaLeaf said:
I'm a Leaf fan but a Canadian first and I don't want him on our Olympic team he's a disaster waiting to happen. He emplodes in the big games running around out of control taking needles penalties, his defensive zone coverage is horrible, this guy could cost us a Gold Medal he just can't get it done, his only asset is his shot from the point and the league has adjusted and he's not nearly as effective as he was in the first half. Phaneuf, Boumeester, Stuart, and Phillips are all much more rounded defenceman who can play all zones and can keep their cool in pressure situation's. I've watched him come apart in the last two playoff series with Philly he can't take a hit without taking a retalatory penalty, did the same thing the other night against Ovechkin when the kid schooled him, when the TEAM CANADA brain trust came to see him in December at the ACC he was horrific coughing up the puck getting caught up the ice contantly. He's just not a World Class player the other guys have proven their worth Internationally.

Thank you Thank you thank you, I'm not trying be a jerk I just glad there is some sanity in this world because you good sir are a rational Leafs fan :bow:

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
i agree with the "thank you" and i'm glad somebody said it.
when you've got an offense like team canada has, you don't pick defensemen to score goals, but to be defensemen, something mccabe seems to not excell at.

i think Phaneuf is the #1 canadian-born defenseman in the NHL right now. that he's not on this team is as sick as Crosby being gretzkied out of a position. i hope, for the betterment of the game, canada loses in the quarters so a different "brain-trust" picks the 2010 Vancouver team.

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
LannysStach said:
that he's [Phaneuf] not on this team is as sick as Crosby being gretzkied out of a position. i

Wow okay buddy, sure Crosby could've made the club but there's no way he should be on the club ahead of Spezza and Staal who are both not on the main roster yet.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'll officially root for Czech Republic if McCabe makes the team ahead of Dan Boyle

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
Metallian said:
unfortunately, gretzky & co. are more interested in pleasing their buddies than putting together the best team possible

I thought I am not the only one who see this :sarcasm:

mooseOAK*

Jimmi Jenkins said:
Thank you Thank you thank you, I'm not trying be a jerk I just glad there is some sanity in this world because you good sir are a rational Leafs fan :bow:
He isn't a Leaf fan. Pretends to be, but isn't.

type_v

Aug 3, 2005
Toronto
Metallian said:
considering the olympics are only once every 4 years, "experience" means little or nothing in these situations

Considering Canada's recent track record, how can you possibly think that Canada hasn't been putting up the best team possible?

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Metallian said:

What? Experience means everything in the Olympics; considering that literally the entire world is watching and you are playing as many as 8 pressure-cooker games in 11 nights against the best competition in the world, experience is invaluable.

I don't mind having Phaneuf or Bouwmeester (who has some experience but is still young) on the blueline, but saying that experience means nothing is purely asinine.

PockIsGoD

Apr 16, 2004
Sherbrooke, QC
McCabe in international competition is a pretty big risk. I'd take Phaneuf, Jay-Bow or Dan Boyle ahead of him. Who wants to see Bryan getting burned by the ultra-coolo-mundo Czech team?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
MXD said:
I'll officially root for Czech Republic if McCabe makes the team ahead of Dan Boyle

Better get out your Jagr bobblehead and some Staropramen and get yourself ready then. :biglaugh:

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
I think part of McCabe's problem in Toronto is that he is expected to handle such a massive workload. That will not be the case with Canada, as he will not be one of the top 4 defencemen and he will be mostly used in situations where he is at his best (powerplay). And since he will be surrounded by players which are miles better than what is in Toronto, I think that the mental errors with which he is associated are also less likely. Either way, if Canada is up by a goal against the Czechs in the final with 5 minutes left, I doubt we'll see much of him.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
mooseOAK said:
He isn't a Leaf fan. Pretends to be, but isn't.

Season Subcriber Sir for 30 years, watched the Leafs since the 50's this guy can't perform in the Big Games, the other night against the Caps the Equipment manager ran out of jock straps because every time McCabe was on the ice with Ovechkin he got faked out of his.

mooseOAK*

PapaLeaf said:
Season Subcriber Sir for 30 years, watched the Leafs since the 50's this guy can't perform in the Big Games, the other night against the Caps the Equipment manager ran out of jock straps because every time McCabe was on the ice with Ovechkin he got faked out of his.
Two shots for Ovechkin all game is what the stats show. Watching the game didn't show him to be a big factor either.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
PockIsGoD said:
McCabe in international competition is a pretty big risk. I'd take Phaneuf, Jay-Bow or Dan Boyle ahead of him. Who wants to see Bryan getting burned by the ultra-coolo-mundo Czech team?

Stuart is flat out bringing in Boston now he's playing 25 minutes a game and so is Jay Bou in Florida he's really picked it up, and this kid can out skate his mistakes.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
mooseOAK said:
Two shots for Ovechkin all game is what the stats show. Watching the game didn't show him to be a big factor either.

He can do a lot more than score he was driving McCabe and Eddie crazy and the results reflect that.

Big Mama*

PapaLeaf said:

Actually in the first playoff series against Philly it was Kabby who was turned into a pylon and was -6. McCabe had Housley for a game which caused his -3 in that series.

At least get the facts correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad