Please help...GLUE STICK question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveBrown21

May 25, 2005
Virginia
Can anyone tell me if the glue sticks (the ones you buy at a hockey shop) are basically the same type glue sticks you would use for a glue gun? I suspect the glue sticks in hockey shops are a special kind that can be reheated...but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
A glue stick used for attaching a blade to a composite shaft is a specialty adhesive that softens when heated. This allows you to remove a broken blade from a shaft and replace it.

But it is NOT the same as the glue used in a glue gun. Glue gun glue cools to a rubbery consistency. Stick glue cools to a hard plastic consistency and has a lot more strength.

You can heat and reheat the glue using a heat gun available at any hardware or paint supply. In a pinch, you can also use a hair dryer set on the hottest setting, but it takes a lot longer to melt the glue. DO NOT use a torch or open flame. You might damage your shaft and you will definitely void any warranty.

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
Hot melt glue is used in industrial applications. It's plenty strong for keeping a blade in place, and it's cheap. It can be reheated as well.

I've never had a blade come loose before the blade was shot, and I've never had any trouble getting them out either.

IkeaMonkey*

GLU said:
Hot melt glue is used in industrial applications. It's plenty strong for keeping a blade in place, and it's cheap. It can be reheated as well.

I've never had a blade come loose before the blade was shot, and I've never had any trouble getting them out either.

I use a little $5 glue gun and $2 bunch of glue sticks and they work fine. The only issue Ive ever had was loosening after around a couple shoot around sessions. That only happens when I use the stick less than 2 hours after glueing and it only happens about 1 out of every 10 sticks.

It can definetly be reheated to as my process of changing blades is sometimes months between using a blade from when I re-glued it. I just reglue the blade, let it sit there til I wanna pop it in then I bring it to the stove, rotate the blade over the burner for about 3-4 minutes and pop the blade in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->