Playoffs, not competitive enough so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
6 out of 8 series are already 2-0, and if the CBJs win today that'll make it 7. There hasn't really been anything surprising to happen so far, the teams that should be ahead are ahead. Maybe the LGK being up 2-0 as an expansion team against the LAK is a bit surprising, even considering that they have home ice advantage... but that's a maybe, they were a great team in the regular season.

Is there a matchup issue or have the series been more competitive than the numbers would lead one to believe?

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
6 out of 8 series are already 2-0, and if the CBJs win today that'll make it 7. There hasn't really been anything surprising to happen so far, the teams that should be ahead are ahead. Maybe the LGK being up 2-0 as an expansion team against the LAK is a bit surprising, even considering that they have home ice advantage... but that's a maybe, they were a great team in the regular season.

Is there a matchup issue or have the series been more competitive than the numbers would lead one to believe?

Home ice advantage is real. Who would've thought.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Home ice advantage is real. Who would've thought.
It's not really home ice advantage as much as the top teams get home ice for the first two games.

But a lot could happen still. Some teams are just plain outmatched (Minny comes to mind), but a few of these have been close enough that there still may be an interesting series.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I think the first round in any format rolls like this. Most series end in about 5 games.

Second and third round you see more close games with OT etc.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
So.........
One of the complaints I've been hearing is the new division series sucks.

Well.........
The NHL wanted to have divisional teams play against each other the first 2 rounds to create rivalries. That's working.
People thought that there wasn't enough reward to finishing 1st in the division. Division winners are 6 - 1. The team with home ice advantage is 11 - 4.

So what's the problem?

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
2017 and 2016 in first two games were way better for me. I can say I'm a casual fan of the league with a handful of teams I like more than others; so I'm doing my best to catch two games every day, regardless of division or team. This year it's still obviously good but not as hyped as the previous ones. Wild are poor. Devils didn't meet my expectations. Flyers managed to get a split in Pittsburgh but both games were blowouts with little competitiveness. Props to Colorado for making it look close on the scoresheet at least but come on, nothing surprising about the Preds sweeping or handily taking them aside. So far I've really enjoyed ANA-SJS and LAK-VGK but to me it seems like none of those teams would stand a chance against ECF winners.

All in all, this is playoffs and anything can change or be expected. However, this year has not been as entertaining as the previous two editions for me. This is probably I don't see any Stanley Cup contenders in West other than the Preds and I'm tired of seeing Pittsburgh win in East. Calling this beauty dull would be very harsh but it is not as good as it was before.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think the first round in any format rolls like this. Most series end in about 5 games.

Second and third round you see more close games with OT etc.
This hasn't really been the case in the NHL most seasons.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
For a person who doesn't like the first rd this has been great.
The faster we get rid of the Pretenders the better.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Colorado - Nashville has been great so far

Philly not being one of the 6 teams down 2-0 after the ass-whooping they took in Game 1 is a big surprise.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Outside of Bruins vs leafs series

At least other teams (who lost game 1)played better in game 2..well most

Home crowd has been big

But you cant win the cup unless you win a few away games

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Need need to go back to balanced schedule and top 16 teams. Toronto and NJ are not playoff caliber teams at this point.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The Jets/Wild and Lightning/Devils match-ups have been straight up embarrassing. Wild and Devils look dead in the water. I'd say Bruins/Leafs as well, but I can't fairly judge that as a Bruins fan. You never know with the home ice shift though. We could see completely different games across the board.

Anaheim looks really bad, but they're the type of team that could turn it on at any time. Losing home ice is brutal though.

Vegas has easily outplayed the Kings, but the games have at least been close. Home ice shift could be big here.

Colorado has been competitive, but it's one of those situations that it's probably just too much to handle. They've played really well and are still getting beat.

It's only been one game to judge, but Jackets/Caps seems like the series to watch.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
So.........
One of the complaints I've been hearing is the new division series sucks.

Well.........
The NHL wanted to have divisional teams play against each other the first 2 rounds to create rivalries. That's working.
People thought that there wasn't enough reward to finishing 1st in the division. Division winners are 6 - 1. The team with home ice advantage is 11 - 4.

So what's the problem?

is it really creating rivalries? I don't see it.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
I love HF.

If every series was 1-1, people would be complaining that “parity is killing quality franchises and dynasties.”

There is always something to complain out on HF.

As for the OP's post, there is a little validity. The Wild and Devils don't even look competitive, but other teams that are down 0-2 like the Kings and Avalanche have played hard and lost close games. For me personally, the amount of 2-0 series coupled with the lack of big market teams even in the playoffs does impact my interest.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
is it really creating rivalries? I don't see it.

VGK-LAK is picking up pretty quickly.

They all gotta start somewhere. Some of these teams haven't been regular playoff teams in eons. It takes time to get to a Colorado-Detroit level of seething hatred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad