Playoffs 2018 Discussion Thread

Who are you Rooting for to Win the Stanley Cup this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
We were leading the entire league in the standings at the time of Howard's injury in early February and he was expected back. We were going to get Helm back, Lidstrom and Datsyuk weren't hurt going into the deadline like they would be going into the playoffs. We hadn't seen Babcock really get worked from a coaching perspective in a series since the Edmonton debacle. There were tons of reasons to be buyers, solidify your d-core third pairing and provide insurance for Stuart's walk away from the team.

Almost everyone who dumps on the Quincey trade pretty much does so with complete hindsight. Sure a couple can say, hey I didn't like it a ton at the time, but it was a contender move and we were legitimately contenders and it even had a future element. He also even re-signed, so we got a lot of mileage out of that pick. Maatta is also the guy we missed out on really, not Vasy though I guess you can pull whomever you choose because that makes the argument more fun.

Most of the deadline buys made hockey sense, they didn't work out unfortunately but you can see the logic on several of the most talked about ones on this forum. It's a lot easier to sit with the end result and say what were you thinking. They were thinking Quincey gave them flexibility that year and moving forward. Heck the pundits agreed, I remember when the playoffs started the guys on NBCSN and up in Canada both had the Wings as having the best blueline in the league. One of the narratives, heck they have Quincey on their third pair, can you believe that...

Turns out Lidstrom was going to get hurt, helm was going to get re-injured, Datsyuk was going to be hurt, Trotz was going to coach circles around Mike Babcock and Rinne was going to be lights out for a series. Tough hand to be dealt for sure.

worth noting that the Wings were really good at even strength that year too which is often a pretty decent indicator of playoff success

they actually lead the league in 5 on 5 goal differential on the season with +55,second place was Boston at +45

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
What I meant by that is they are forcing a same sport narrative in a single game format to a season long sporting accomplishment. They are apples and oranges from that standpoint. Were both stunning? Sure, but Vegas has done this for months on end, I think it is a disservice to them to pretend this is catching a team on the right night which is the Miracle on Ice analogy.

It's a microcosmic example of the spirit of team competition that once in a while will result in the delightfully unexpected. They also beat Finland that year for the gold, so there's that. It's true that what Vegas is doing right now is more impressive in many ways and is another instance of a team truly being better than the sum of its parts. As a neutral observer and a hockey fan in general, I see nothing but positives in either case.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Not surprised that either team took possession of those conference trophies, they fought for every inch of them. I'm all for them getting rid of that superstition.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Washington winning would be like Carolina winning in 06.

Vegas winning in the cup finals really isn’t an amazing story, It was clear halfway into the season they were cup contenders.

That said, I am happy the winner isn’t Pittsburgh or Toronto.

Reactions: gbdet

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
After all the talk this season I found it quite pleasant watching Tampa shit the bed. Would Yzerman return here after one cup or two? Lol. Genius Yzerman has a lot of work to do- may be find a top center instead of 3rd liner JT Miller. Too many stale ass players like Girardi, Stralman, Coburn, Kunitz, Callahan, etc. I never for a second wanted Stamkos, he's played out.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Very happy for Ovechkin and Caps fans. Ideal SCF matchup in my eyes. Either the storybook ending for Vegas or Ovie finally getting a ring.
Glad to see Tampa choke away the series too.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
yeah kinda a weird comparison

Washington lost a lot of depth over the offseason so they didn't do quite as well this season(although they still won their division)but this is the same core that just won back to back president's trophies prior to that

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Here's hoping we get the 30th pick...go Caps

I wonder if this is the 1st SCF where a GM (McPhee) was responsible for building both teams

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
How so?

Carolina was a very pedestrian team that had Cam Ward go Superman. Washington has a ton of talented skaters, including one of the best shooters of all time.

Carolina had more points then Washington when they won, You could argue Carlson isn’t a 1d (so both wouldn’t have one there).

Both have weak SRS and average penalty kills. Ward and Holtby are similar and I would say The top 6 is similar (Washington just has better stars)

SRS isn’t some dumb stat either. Since the full season lockout only four teams who weren’t in the top 5 have won the cup. Those teams would be The Hurricanes, Penguins (2009) and Kings (2012,14). Also the Pens and the Kings (in 14) were only 7th... The Vegas Golden Knights this year are 5th so that should be interesting.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Carolina had more points then Washington when they won, You could argue Carlson isn’t a 1d (so both wouldn’t have one there).

Both have weak SRS and average penalty kills. Ward and Holtby are similar and I would say The top 6 is similar (Washington just has better stars)

SRS isn’t some dumb stat either. Since the full season lockout only four teams who weren’t in the top 5 have won the cup. Those teams would be The Hurricanes, Penguins (2009) and Kings (2012,14). Also the Pens and the Kings (in 14) were only 7th... The Vegas Golden Knights this year are 5th so that should be interesting.

Staal, Weight, Brind'Amour, Recchi, Cole, Williams, Stillman, and Whitney is a very skilled and very productive group. None may reach the heights of Ovi, but I don't think Backstrom or Kuznetsov are necessarily better than the top 3 or 4 of that Carolina group,

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
The only low-quality final I can think of since I started watching hockey is Colorado-Florida. That Carolina-Edmonton series was pretty good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad