Playoffs 2018 Discussion Thread

Who are you Rooting for to Win the Stanley Cup this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Boston felt stronger top to bottom, like in ’15 against Tampa I think Babcock was the biggest reason it got close. Also Boston’s D is almost as shoddy as Toronto’s, will be a problem against Tampa.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
What a ridiculous game.

Oh well, go literally-anyone-but-Boston-or-Pittsburgh.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Reports are surfacing that Matthews is annoyed with Babcock

Look at his ice time... We talk about that issue a lot with guys that don't deserve minutes. But why are you playing a guy that has 34 goals this year and is a good two-way force like a second line player?

My guess is this is the first summer where we have a real power struggle with all those power players in terms of the Leafs organizational power structure.

Also Babcock is an ******* so not all that surprising. Matthews is going to get him punted in a few years in my opinion. Babcock's timeline of usefulness never lined up with how they were planning to rebuild. He was going to wear guys out before they were good enough to win. I wouldn't be surprised if Matthews was annoyed with the whole thing organizationally. He is basically the captain, only they don't want him to be. He is their best player and anointed superstar but he played less than Joe Thornton and Zetterberg this year. He had a poor series, but he knows that he is going to be the guy who is held accountable and he gets to play with Zack Hyman/William (no defense) Nylander and Connor Brown to matchup head to head with all elite players night in and night out. He needs more help. The Leafs need more help on the backend, but you have to wonder if Matthews is thinking during the Boston series, how come I don't get to play with Marner? Just go carry this thing and know that you're going to be the front man face for this failure. Yeah I wouldn't be enamored either.

To be clear to those discussing it above I root for the Leafs to lose every game they play. I hate them with a passion. They are my least favorite sports organization in the world. I was raised to hate them and I do.

If the other team had a starting six of

Matt Cooke - Dale Hunter - Chris Simon
Bryan Marchment - Ulf Samuelsson
Eddie Belfour

I would root for those guys to beat the Leafs. It's the sweater, I am honestly bummed Matthews plays for them, I hope he somehow leaves after his 8 year extension he is likely to sign this summer.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Clean hit, some of the positions these guys put themselves in these days are staggering. Like hey I can try and turn at the last second and make this illegal. He was in the railroad tracks for a while there.

Cannot believe Ovie missed that one.o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I honestly think Mathews is overhyped

American kid from desert(unique factor x1000)
Drafted by the Yankees of hockey(spotlight)
Seen as the saviour

I think he will struggle with the pressure of playing in Toronto and will be more of a good player rather than an exceptional player

Just my thoughts

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA

Seen as the saviour

I think he will struggle with the pressure of playing in Toronto and will be more of a good player rather than an exceptional player

Just my thoughts

He'll be fine. You could see how dominant he was last year against the Caps. It was a really bad idea matching him up against Bergeron's line, though, especially last night when the Boston d was struggling. I don't think he's enjoying Babcock trying to turn him into Zetterberg.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Seen as the saviour

Just my thoughts

Matthews is a phenomenal talent. He will be a top 5 guy in this league for multiple seasons during his career in my opinion.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Wow I hate the Penguins so very much ... they have to be the most annoying team to watch if you're not a fan of theirs. They can score their way out of any situation it seems.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I respect your opinion

He reminds me of Forsberg a little. I really think highly of him.

I used to argue that Eichel was better than him, but I have doubts. He has a ton of offense, is heavy on the puck and really already has a good two-way game. Tough not to acknowledge how special he has looked in his first two years. He isn't even getting PP1 time yet either...

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
He reminds me of Forsberg a little. I really think highly of him.

I used to argue that Eichel was better than him, but I have doubts. He has a ton of offense, is heavy on the puck and really already has a good two-way game. Tough not to acknowledge how special he has looked in his first two years. He isn't even getting PP1 time yet either...

Meh

I don' know

We will see I just don' think he will be that dominant guy who can carry his team regardless of who his linemates are

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
what impresses me most about Vegas is their passing. They skate well up and down the lineup, but they also excel at making all of those little passes that push the puck around the ice and drag the opposition out of position. It's excellent coaching from Gallant and buy-in from the players. All of those little passes that actually hit sticks instead of skates is what makes their team speed so deadly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->