Playoff (re)Structure-poll

Who would you choose

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Was thinking about this (for fun obviously )

What if the NHL restructured their playoff format to allow the top 3 teams to select their 1st round matchup from the bottom 5 teams in their conference.

I wanted to travel around and see who each team would select, if the playoffs were today.

1. Winnipeg
2. Calgary
3. Vegas

--
4.Nashville
5.San Jose
6.Colorado
7.Anaheim
8. Dallas

With the 1st pick of the West, Who would the Jets want to face in the first round?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
This is not a good concept.

I think it's a lot of fun. There are so many ways a team could go. Do you pick the team you have the easiest chance to beat? Do you pick the team that will be the toughest, just to get them out of the way early? Do you pick the team which will maximize ticket sales?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it's a lot of fun. There are so many ways a team could go. Do you pick the team you have the easiest chance to beat? Do you pick the team that will be the toughest, just to get them out of the way early? Do you pick the team which will maximize ticket sales?
I think you just take the team you think you have the best chance of beating. But then you just hand them bulletin board material - "OH THEY THINK THEY CAN BEAT US, EH? WE'LL JUST SEE ABOUT THAT!"

I mean there's no point in taking the toughest matchup "to get them out of the way" - let a team below you slug it out in a war of attrition. And there won't be any ticket sales in Round 2 if you don't get out of Round 1.

I suppose sometimes the rankings don't line up with the team you'd match up best against. Say if Nashville fell to WC2 largely because of injury and all their guys are coming back in the last couple weeks of the season. Still, you want too look like you're afraid? The whole thing is fraught with peril.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg

Reading is hard, I misunderstood.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I think you just take the team you think you have the best chance of beating. But then you just hand them bulletin board material - "OH THEY THINK THEY CAN BEAT US, EH? WE'LL JUST SEE ABOUT THAT!"

I mean there's no point in taking the toughest matchup "to get them out of the way" - let a team below you slug it out in a war of attrition. And there won't be any ticket sales in Round 2 if you don't get out of Round 1.

I suppose sometimes the rankings don't line up with the team you'd match up best against. Say if Nashville fell to WC2 largely because of injury and all their guys are coming back in the last couple weeks of the season. Still, you want too look like you're afraid? The whole thing is fraught with peril.
I agree with this, it makes it interesting though.

But, teams have an easy 'out option' if you pick based on standings I.e taking the last seed - you won't ruffle any feathers, no harm/foul.

It gets fun when a team matches up well and/or has a higher seeds number.

I.e if Boston were in a position.. would they take Toronto?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Nashville. I want the mere mention of Winnipeg to make Carrie burn like she just won a Hot Chicken eating contest. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad