Playoff Push Thread

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
I wanted a thread for strictly playoff talk and speculation. I didn't see anywhere else with something like this so I made this one. My feeling is after a win like tonight this team has the juice to get to the finish line and in the playoffs with a favorable schedule coming up besides you could argue boston/wsh/cbj/SJ. Vegas doesn't scare me because at that point they have nothing to really play for most likely and already are struggling. Bishop is done in Dallas this year unless they make the playoffs. LA doesn't seem to have the same team as in years past. Anaheim has all the talent in the world but has no consistency. So if you guys had to guess who do you see filling out the final 2 in the wild card?

my guess is AVS/Blues

DYn5ZyCVwAAIjA0.jpg-large.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zamadoo

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I see us either just backing into 8th place and bounced out in Round 1 or finishing 2-4 points out of a spot. We have some playoff bound opponents coming up and we haven't played well against non-playoff teams this season. Heck our defense was very poor against Chicago tonight.

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
I see us either just backing into 8th place and bounced out in Round 1 or finishing 2-4 points out of a spot. We have some playoff bound opponents coming up and we haven't played well against non-playoff teams this season. Heck our defense was very poor against Chicago tonight.

I agree but I can also see a scenario where the game is completely different if Jake doesn't let in 2 god awful goals. However, I agree about us losing in the 1st round but you never know since we are playing with house money at that point and Nashville would have everything to lose

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Looks like we have to pass Dallas and one of Anaheim/LA/Minny to make it?

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
i think the ducks (or kings, whoever doesnt get 3rd in pacific) get 1 of the spots. most likely the avs or stars get the second.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
CHI x2
ARI
VAN

These games we absolutely have to win.
Then I would say we have to probably win 3 out of 6 below.

SJS
VGK
WSH
CLB
BOS
COL

That Colorado game could very well be a 1 game play in by the time we get there.

Reactions: The Note in Ky

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
CHI x2
ARI
VAN

These games we absolutely have to win.
Then I would say we have to probably win 3 out of 6 below.

SJS
VGK
WSH
CLB
BOS
COL

That Colorado game could very well be a 1 game play in by the time we get there.

I like our chances vs VGK, BOS and COL

Vegas is really struggling
Boston I feel like if we have Tarasenko and coming off this win we will be feeling it
Colorado we have outplayed every game and last game got 0 puck luck

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Thing to note here is how many back2backs the blues have. they have a good record in them but i wouldnt bank on that.

i dont see them getting in unless allen gets on a hot streak.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Thing to note here is how many back2backs the blues have. they have a good record in them but i wouldnt bank on that.

i dont see them getting in unless allen gets on a hot streak.

This is a good point, 3 sets of back to backs in 10 games is pretty brutal.

All 3 with travel too.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
The best part of this run right now is that Dallas and LA aren't playing amazing hockey, which has opened our door back up.

That said, if we were going to actually DO anything in the playoffs, we need the 7. That means catching either Colorado (not likely), or Minnesota (super not likely)

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
The best part of this run right now is that Dallas and LA aren't playing amazing hockey, which has opened our door back up.

That said, if we were going to actually DO anything in the playoffs, we need the 7. That means catching either Colorado (not likely), or Minnesota (super not likely)

dallas is in deep trouble if bishop is out longterm and that injury looked that way.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Call me crazy, but I kind of want to sneak in the 8th seed and get the perds in the first round.

f*** it, at that point, what would we have to lose? Even if we got slaughtered, it would add to a budding rivalry and probably be good for hockey in the Nashville/St. Louis areas. If we made it competitive, or by some miracle won, it would be something to hang our hats on after a pretty brutal season.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Call me crazy, but I kind of want to sneak in the 8th seed and get the perds in the first round.

**** it, at that point, what would we have to lose? Even if we got slaughtered, it would add to a budding rivalry and probably be good for hockey in the Nashville/St. Louis areas. If we made it competitive, or by some miracle won, it would be something to hang our hats on after a pretty brutal season.
My thought as well, this team did well going in as the underdog vs Minny last year. Odds are we lose, and if we do, it won't hurt much because we expected it, but if we do somehow win, that'd be a massive momentum boost that could lead to something, a la 2012 Kings or last year's Preds.

Reactions: stl76

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
We're 25-6-1 against non-playoff teams this year. 130 point pace. That's pretty damn good.

We're 10-6-1 against the opponents we have remaining, which is still a 100 point pace. We've played well enough against the remaining teams to sneak in. I think we'll finish 8th.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I too want to grab the 8th seed and play the Perds. We will lose, but we will make life absolutely hell for them in the process. We exit with our heads held high, and Nashville is softened up for Winnipeg. I think it will be Blues and Kings in the wildcard spots.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I'd say some words of doom but the team has looked like it's turning a corner. This isn't the Blues of a few weeks ago, this is a team that looks determined and has some fire in their guts. Jake Allen has been better than some are willing to give credit to and this is his chance to show that he is the Starter they need. LGB.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I too want to grab the 8th seed and play the Perds. We will lose, but we will make life absolutely hell for them in the process. We exit with our heads held high, and Nashville is softened up for Winnipeg. I think it will be Blues and Kings in the wildcard spots.

I think at this point any playoff listing that doesn't include Colorado is optimistic thinking at this point. It's possible they fall off a cliff, but they've only lost 1 of their last 10 in regulation, and Mackinnon is playing out of his god damned mind right now. He's having the type of year that can get a mediocre team to the playoffs almost by themselves, and really really should win the Hart. LA seems more like a more reasonable team to catch.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I think at this point any playoff listing that doesn't include Colorado is optimistic thinking at this point. It's possible they fall off a cliff, but they've only lost 1 of their last 10 in regulation, and Mackinnon is playing out of his god damned mind right now. He's having the type of year that can get a mediocre team to the playoffs almost by themselves, and really really should win the Hart. LA seems more like a more reasonable team to catch.
I agree with you, I should have elaborated. I envision Colorado in the 3rd Central spot, playing Winnipeg. Anaheim gets SJ, and LA gets Vegas. We beat out Minny for the 8th and play Nashville. I picked Minny as the odd team out because of losing Spurgeon and a brutal remaining schedule. Dallas falls off a cliff. I don't think my scenario is too outrageous. :)

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
This is a good point, 3 sets of back to backs in 10 games is pretty brutal.

All 3 with travel too.
it feels like for the most part, weve actually played better in back to back games this year except for when we were on cold stretch and couldnt win any games whether back to back or not.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'd say it's very likely the Blues pass Dallas. They are struggling and just lost Bishop.

They now just have to pass one of Colorado, Anaheim or LA.

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
For tonight’s sake who do we want to win in this matchup?

LA at Min

Is it more likely that Minny falls or that LA continues to be pretty meh

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
I think our best bet is to hope MIN and COL beat up on LA, and we take the 8th spot with DAL sinking. The remaining schedule really leaves a lot of possibility, and it seems like if the Blues just win they may end up getting in with everybody else beating each other up.

I loved seeing the reaction on the bench last night when we tied it up. Everyone erupted, players hugging each other. This team wants it!

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
For tonight’s sake who do we want to win in this matchup?

LA at Min

Is it more likely that Minny falls or that LA continues to be pretty meh
Minny is already 3rd in the div. They win it doesn't really effect us ATM. Kings winning hurts us more. IMHO

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
My thought as well, this team did well going in as the underdog vs Minny last year. Odds are we lose, and if we do, it won't hurt much because we expected it, but if we do somehow win, that'd be a massive momentum boost that could lead to something, a la 2012 Kings or last year's Preds.
this team sucks and is nowhere close to being in the same league as those teams.

if this team makes it and plays nashville, it will be like a 5 game series tops. i could see them beating vegas but i wouldnt bet on it either.

only way i change my mind is if allen gets into another hot streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad