Playoff predictions

:( The rest of the league is pretty interesting, you know! The Soo won a bunch of games, Kingston, Sarnia, and Hamilton all won playoff series, Barrie is good again already. OS looks like the juggernaut we all thought they'd be. Even Kitchener Frankensteined together a weird team of ex-Spitfire Mem Cup winners. You're lucky you cheer for a team who wins all the time!
Yep..I love OHL and CHL hockey in general, but I won't be watching anymore games until late August. May catch a period here or there and maybe a game or 2 of the Memorial Cup, but I'll be remembering more than I'll be watching new achievements until next season. It's time for me to reflect. Part of my healing process.

Reactions: ScoresFromCentre

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
Soo over Owen Sound in 6
Kitchener over Sarnia in 6
Hamilton over Niagara in 5
Kingston over Barrie in 7

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
I think a good portion of the people commenting are fans of western teams that haven’t even really watched kingston.

Sarnia only home loss to the eastern conference was against North Bay.Kingston & the other east teams were less than impressive when they played the Sting at home.The only other teams that played well but still lost here were Hamilton & Niagara.The rest basically got their ass handed to them.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Sarnia only home loss to the eastern conference was against North Bay.Kingston & the other east teams were less than impressive when they played the Sting at home.The only other teams that played well but still lost here were Hamilton & Niagara.The rest basically got their ass handed to them.
Not sure that seeing a team one time gives you much insight to how good they are or aren’t.
Kingston played in Sarnia in sept. So that would be meaningless at this point, and kingston also beat Sarnia badly in kingston.
Seeing a team once really means nothing, you could be seeing that teams worst or best effort, you don’t know.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Kingston over Barrie in 6
Hamilton over Niagara in 5
Sarnia over Kitch in 6
OS over the Sault in 6

I personally feel Kingston is one very well built playoff looking team. Barrie relies on there top line to much. Hamilton is very strong and I dont see Niagara having an answer for them. Sarnia is a much better team then Kitch in my opinion more skilled and play a faster better brand of hockey. Last but not least I totally think Owen Sound is going to shock most of you and beat the Sault. OS has been playin amazing hockey over the past 31 games (26-4-1 beating teams like Sault Sarnia Kitch Hamilton Kingston Barrie and more over that time with a current 10 game sin streak) . Yes the goal tending has been shakey at times but it has been improving and the way OS has carried the play and out shot teams consistently all season will be a major factor. I believe another factor is OS should be a more rested team and better seasond team since a good chunk of the top end players missed so much time recovering from injuries this season which gave other guys opportunities to grow and play in roles they wouldn’t of normally been in. This is all purely just my opinion who knows what will happen.. You can’t just go by season stats cause they mean nothing now. Its why the games are played. Sault does have a pretty amazing team I will give them that

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
New round, new predictions.

Soo over Owen Sound in 5 - The Soo is just so freakin' dominant, and while the Attack posted one of the Soo's defeats this year I believe, I don't see them being able to do it consistenly enough.

Sarnia over Kitchener in 6 - Both teams are really good, but Sarnia's tender I feel pulls this out for them.

Hamilton over Niagara in 7 - Niagara's Dhillon was the lynchpin for Hamilton's several losses to the Ice Dogs this year and I don't doubt he'll still be a force. That said, I think the Bulldogs will finally figure him out. The Bulldogs showed a lot more maturity during that 67s series to stay out of the box. That said, I expect this to be a long series and if there is an upset, it will be here. You can't look past how well Niagara has done against the Bulldogs.

Barrie over Kingston in 6 - Helvig is the best tender in the league in my eyes but Barrie just outworks teams and I don't think Kingston has a good answer for Barrie's top line nor do I think Kingston's lines are balanced enough to capitalize on Barrie's grinding style.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
I don't have time to double-check this, but I believe OS over SSM would be the largest upset by points (32) in the modern OHL (bettering 06-07 Sudbury's upset of Barrie by two points).

That's not so much an argument in SSM's favour as it is a statement of how historic an OS win would be.

I think I'm going to join the SSM camp, if only because I don't want to see their fans have to go through that.

sakic 19

Jan 3, 2013
8 for 8 in the first round which was pretty easy.
No real shocking results.
Picked 4 series exact including my hometown gennies losing in 5 games.
On to round two
Fronts in 6
Hamilton in 7
Soo in 6
Sting in 6

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Round 2 predictions:

Hounds over Owen Sound in 6
Kitchener over Sarnia in 7
Hamilton over Niagara in 7
Barrie over Kingston in 6

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Brock Otten.........OHL Prospects
Predictions 2nd Round OHL Play-Offs:
Eastern Conference

#1. Hamilton Bulldogs vs. #4. Niagara IceDogs
Season Series: Niagara leads 5-1
Prediction: Hamilton in 6

#2. Barrie Colts vs. #3. Kingston Frontenacs
Season Series: Kingston leads 3-1
Prediction: Kingston in 7

Western Conference
#1. Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds vs. #4. Owen Sound Attack
Season Series: Tied at 1
Prediction: Sault Ste. Marie in 5

#2. Kitchener Rangers vs. #3. Sarnia Sting
Season Series: Kitchener leads 3-1
Prediction: Sarnia in 7

Brock has detailed comments on each series below:
OHL Prospects: 2018 OHL Playoff Preview - Round Two

Reactions: LDN

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
Niagara over Hamilton in 7 - Really a toss up series but something about Hamilton I"m not sold on
Kingston over Barrie in 6 - Nice match up but I feel Kingston edges Barrie on all levels
SSM over Owen Sound in 5 - This is likely SSM toughest challenge all playoffs long. Thinking OS regrets not getting a #1 after this series
Sarnia over Kitchener in 7 - Its a toss up. If Culina shines then it might go to Kitchener in 6. Its been awhile since we've hate "hate" in an OHL playoff series

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well 8 for 8 and 3 correct games won. Don't think I will have the same success in round 2. For me I find the teams too close this year to really get a warm and fuzzy with the 2nd round picks. East for me is a tough one to call and Sarina/Kitchener will also be close. So with no confidence at all here are my picks.

East
Barrie - Kingston - Barrie in 7
Hamilton - Niagara - Hamilton in 7

West
Soo - Owen Sound - Soo in 6
Kitchener - Sarnia - Kitchener in 6

I look at home ice being the advantage in the east and goaltending being the advantage in the west combined with home ice. With Owen Sound being a tough place to play and some tough travel for both teams I could see the Soo dropping 1 or 2 games there. Having watched both Fazio and Culina - Fazio in the first round of the playoffs and Culina used to play in Windsor I give the edge to Culina although it is not a large margin. This is always when the fun hockey starts and as usual I have to watch from my couch.
Well missed one this time. next round-

Hamilton - Kingston - Kingston in 7 - Goaltender will be the difference.
Soo - Kitchener - Soo in 7 , debated this one but Kitchener will have a tough time with the Soo in their own end. Kitchener will certainly be tough down low as well - Kitchener has some big boys up front that will test the Soo - G Smith will be enemy # 1.

member 71782

Round 1

Round 1

1. Hamilton vs 8. Ottawa - Hamilton 5 games
2. Barrie vs 7. Mississauga - Barrie 6 games
3. Kingston vs 6. North Bay - Kingston 5 games
4. Niagara vs 5. Oshawa - Oshawa 6 games

1. Sault Ste. Marie vs 8. Saginaw - Sault Ste. Marie 5 games
2. Kitchener vs 7. Guelph - Kitchener 6 games
3. Sarnia vs 6. Windsor - Sarnia 6 games
4. Owen Sound vs 6 London - Owen Sound 7 games

Round 2

1. Hamilton vs 5. Oshawa - Hamilton 5 games
2. Barrie vs 3. Kingston - Kingston 6 games

1. Sault Ste. Marie vs 4. Owen Sound - Sault Ste. Marie 6 games
2. Kitchener vs 3. Sarnia - Kitchener 6 games

Round 3

1. Hamilton vs 3. Kingston - Kingston 6 games

1. Sault ste. Marie vs 2. Kitchener - Sault Ste. Marie 5 games

Championship

Sault Ste. Marie vs Kingston - Kingston 6 games

Round 2

Time for Round 2

Initial picks I had Oshawa over Niagara, that didn't work out so the only thing that changes for me would be Hamilton vs Niagara

Round 2

1. Hamilton vs 4. Niagara - Hamilton 6 games
2. Barrie vs 3. Kingston - Kingston 6 games

1. Sault Ste. Marie vs 4. Owen Sound - Sault Ste. Marie 6 games
2. Kitchener vs 3. Sarnia - Kitchener 6 games

Round 3

My initial picks for Round 3 were

1. Hamilton vs 3. Kingston - Kingston 6 games

1. Sault Ste Marie vs 2. Kitchener - Sault Ste Marie 5 games

Nothing to change

Ad

Upcoming events