56 | Cy Denneny | |
57 | Lester Patrick | |
58 | Bill Cook | Highest | Exclusive to List
59 | Bobby Hull | Lowest | Next at 54
60 | Harry Trihey | |

• Only list without Ken Dryden

Round 2

Vote | 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th
1 | Harvey | Gretzky | Beliveau | Howe | Richard | Messier | Plante | Potvin | Orr | Roy
2 | Harvey | Kennedy | Messier | Kelly | Plante | Potvin | Orr | Robinson | Broda | Lemieux
3 | Kelly | Orr | Nighbor | Richard | Forsberg | Robinson | Broda | Lemieux | Lafleur | Bossy
4 | Nighbor | Richard | Forsberg | Robinson | Broda | Bossy | Trottier | Lidstrom | Stevens | Brodeur
5 | Robinson | Trottier | Lidstrom | Stevens | Fedorov | Boucher | Brodeur | Sawchuk | Dryden | McGee
6 | Savard | Kurri | Stevens | Fedorov | Boucher | McGee | Brodeur | Keith | Sawchuk | Hull
7 | Kurri | Lemaire | Stevens | Fedorov | McGee | Brodeur | Morenz | Keith | Hull | Sawchuk
8 | Lemaire | McGee | Keith | Morenz | Smith | Sawchuk | Benedict | Stanley | Horton | Coffey

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Was Dryden an oversight?
I really like the Orr, Lemieux and Bo. Hull placements in Round 1. You corrected afterwards, but you apparently had a hunch that their playoff resume was definitely inferior to their player' resume and were certainly not shy about it.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Nice List

Nice list, appreciate the effort putting it together.

The split between Gretzky and Lemieux is interesting, Two from the same cloth except for handedness and health issues.

Hainsworth is an interesting pick. Nearly made my list but there was very little beyond his great play during the Canadiens playoffs from 1929 to 1932.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Thoughts on my own list:

-I had Brodeur 16th? Not sure what got me so high on him in the initial process. I think he was ranked appropriately in the final project.

-I underrated Ted Kennedy, and overrated Turk Broda somewhat. More in-depth research in the voting rounds led me to more or less flip positions on those players.

-I sold Sakic and Hull a little short, but I still feel Sakic was clearly overrated on the final list. Hull was ranked reasonably.

-I would still have Lemaire firmly in my top 40, but 12 was probably excessive.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Was Dryden an oversight?
I really like the Orr, Lemieux and Bo. Hull placements in Round 1. You corrected afterwards, but you apparently had a hunch that their playoff resume was definitely inferior to their player' resume and were certainly not shy about it.

No, I was consciously aware that I omitted Dryden. I underrated his importance it would seem. As you can see, I had Lemaire, Robinson, Savard, and Cournoyer ranked quite a bit higher than most. In retrospect he would make my Top 60, though I suspect on the bottom half of it.

I was sold on Orr during the process. All those SI excerpts posted by overpass were revealing, so I'd move him up a little from his initial placement. Hull as well. Lemieux, not as much. Didn't really see much presented that makes me feel I underrated him.

Nice list, appreciate the effort putting it together.

The split between Gretzky and Lemieux is interesting, Two from the same cloth except for handedness and health issues.

Hainsworth is an interesting pick. Nearly made my list but there was very little beyond his great play during the Canadiens playoffs from 1929 to 1932.

I feel Gretzky was simply much more accomplished than Lemieux. More Cups, even more dominant during a couple of them, and 99 had several more historically significant playoff campaigns than 66. Health issues for Lemieux were unfortunate, but Gretzky gets credit for his durability.

I think my feeling on Hainsworth was that he ought to be near Parent on the list. In a do-over situation, I would probably lower his placement. Evaluating all the great 30's goaltenders would actually be an interesting sidebar. Gardiner, Connell, Thompson...no shortage of extra viable candidates that didn't come up for discussion.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Bernie Parent

No, I was consciously aware that I omitted Dryden. I underrated his importance it would seem. As you can see, I had Lemaire, Robinson, Savard, and Cournoyer ranked quite a bit higher than most. In retrospect he would make my Top 60, though I suspect on the bottom half of it.

I was sold on Orr during the process. All those SI excerpts posted by overpass were revealing, so I'd move him up a little from his initial placement. Hull as well. Lemieux, not as much. Didn't really see much presented that makes me feel I underrated him.

I feel Gretzky was simply much more accomplished than Lemieux. More Cups, even more dominant during a couple of them, and 99 had several more historically significant playoff campaigns than 66. Health issues for Lemieux were unfortunate, but Gretzky gets credit for his durability.

I think my feeling on Hainsworth was that he ought to be near Parent on the list. In a do-over situation, I would probably lower his placement. Evaluating all the great 30's goaltenders would actually be an interesting sidebar. Gardiner, Connell, Thompson...no shortage of extra viable candidates that didn't come up for discussion.

Like the Bernie Parent / George Hainsworth comparable.

Thirties NHL is an topic worth a lot of research especially starting with the original introduction of the Salary Cap for the 1932-33 season.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
What was your rational for jumping Harvey over Gretzky and Roy in Round 2?

I liked Harvey's more consistent career, which is practically blemish-free. The Canadiens dynasty seemed to rise when he emerged, and swooned for a few years right after he left. I judged Harvey to be the most important piece of the 5-in-a-row team that steamrolled through the playoffs year after year.

I like to think I was quite consistent in my approach of punishing players for poor performances and/or years where their teams did not meet expectations. Gretzky does have several of these on his resume. His ability to out-score his defensive weaknesses was clearly diminishing by the time he was in LA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad