Playoff Officiating

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I've watch a significant amount of hockey and every year it's the same garbage officiating. After watching the 1st round of the playoffs, I must say it's terrible again. I'm not here to whine about a specific call as my team didn't even make the playoffs.

My problem with NHL officiating is how significant portions of the NHL rulebook goes out the window so we can "let them play". There are rules for the regular season and a different set of rules for the playoffs. This NHL culture of "letting them play" is ironic because it's literally allowing players do illegal things to obstruct players from actually playing the game. There's a saying among my friends who watch hockey: The NHL rulebook gets thinner and thinner as the playoffs go on until there is just one page left talking about delay of games, and too many men infractions.

I understand not wanting a "soft call" to determine the game/series but it is this ridiculous mindset that has allowed the "let them play" attitude to form. The obstruction and lack of consistent application of the rules are hindering the skill and goalscoring in the game. I think if they actually called the games properly, goal scoring would go way up and fix some of the "we need more goals" problem but that's another topic. Simply put, play more disciplined and you won't get called. Don't go out doing grey area stuff or hoping the refs will miss a tiny thing you did in the corners at crucial junctions at the game. Just don't do risky stuff. I think they should call it by the book every time from game 1 of the regular season to game 7 of the stanley cup finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad