Playing positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duff

Jul 21, 2005
I Just started playing hockey again after a 6-year retirement. (I played for about 6 or 7 years then quit.) I'm going to be playing beer league hockey and would like to know what is the ideal position to be on the ice depending on were the puck is. I play RW and the only positioning a really remember is when the puck is in your zone, let the Centre go in deep, while the wingers stay along the boards and cover the other teams D.

What other basic positioning for wingers do I need to know? I think I got most of the offense zone positioning down, but I'm open to any helpful advice.

Can't wait to get out playing again, its been a while.

KariyaIsGod*

Yeah, just stay high on the boards so you give your d-men something to pass to... Don't let that point man get away though if he jumps into the slot or soemthing like that.

YoungJames

May 6, 2005
Rockin' all over
Well, the following is pretty obvious: when the oppsite team has the puck in your own d-zone, allways try to stay "inside the game", meaning that you try to stay between the puck and the defenceman you´re staying with.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
Nemo said:
Well, the following is pretty obvious: when the oppsite team has the puck in your own d-zone, allways try to stay "inside the game", meaning that you try to stay between the puck and the defenceman you´re staying with.

Two points:
1) Let's say I'm the defenseman who is covering the right-wing. What if he moves to his defense line and he stays there with his defenseman. Should I follow him right away, or should I wait that one of the three goes down? It can become very confusing when the other team players switch positions and run around. If you happen to chase the ball in the corner and your man moves in the meantime, you get sometimes lost.

2) When stuck in your own zone, is it a good idea to have one the wingers go and help the defensemen and center near the net and have only one winger covering the defensemen? I remember Guy Carbonneau and Brian Skrudland doing a terrific job at it. If you should decided to do so, how far should you stay from the defensemen? Enough to cut a pass between them, I suppose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->