Playing hockey with replica jerseys

saveourpens

Jul 3, 2006
Pittsburgh
Some kid on my team practices with a Crosby replica. Seems to be holding up just fine. The only thing I'd worry about is the smell afterwards if you're planning on using it for things other than hockey.

RJ8812*

Some kid on my team practices with a Crosby replica. Seems to be holding up just fine. The only thing I'd worry about is the smell afterwards if you're planning on using it for things other than hockey.

id rock him

hexrae

Jun 29, 2006
Peg City
Depends on what you want does replica's for. If you want to display them then DO NOT play in them. Otherwise, if you bought them to be used then play away.

hova09

Jun 8, 2004
Yep they won't be sitting in my room thats for sure.. I bought some euro league jerseys and my friend thinks they're not as strong as a "normal" jersey or even a practice jersey, even if they're made of the same stuff (polyester).

xeric716x

Born To Expire
Jun 20, 2006
New Jack City
www.facebook.com
Yep they won't be sitting in my room thats for sure.. I bought some euro league jerseys and my friend thinks they're not as strong as a "normal" jersey or even a practice jersey, even if they're made of the same stuff (polyester).

Euro jerseys will hold up just fine and are actually lighter (if you got russian ones)

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
You can expect some rips to develope. Get hoocked in any seem in the board, another players helmet, the net mount ribbons on the goal frame or some such thing, they will get a rip or tear. Easy way to fix is using a light bulb and needle/thread. Put the light bulb inside and then stitch the hole shut pulling the knit back together. Start at the middle of the rip, close it up. About half way to each end repeat, and then starting back at middle work your way to one side, return to middle and finsih the opposite side. Same way you would "darn" a sock.

Where you really want to be careful wearing them is for an outdoors, camping type thing where there is an open fire. Embers stick on contact and melt holes that are near impossible to sew up and hide.

hova09

Jun 8, 2004
Thanks guys, and Mike for the tip.. I think I'll giver a try.. but I'll use the cheapest
jersey :innocent:

VisionQuest*

Please dont wear any replica jerseys unless youre totally comfortable with hearing murmurs and whispers from the opposing bench. Maybe even your own.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
I had to play a game in a Penguins sweater once. I forgot my $10 game sweater in the dryer (yeah yeah, washing gear, I know, it was the first time I'd washed it in like three months). Our colors were black and yellow, so it wasn't a big deal. It held up fine. I looked kinda goofy, though. Didn't have any numbers on it, but I still felt like a superstar out there.

I think you'll be fine, but don't be suprised when your typical wear and tear occurs. If it's a sweater you're not attched too, knock yourself out. And like 35 and 14 said, you'll definitely get some looks.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I rocked my B's sweater for pickup a few times and it held up fine. However, I found it a tad heavy so I opted to go back to wearing just regular practice/beer league sweaters.

And you probably already know this, but wash the sweater in cold water, then air dry it. It'll keep the patches/logos from getting all wacked out.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
My god...fashion police on a hockey bench. Is this womens hockey?

I only notice people giving murmurs and such when some guy sports a jersey of an NHL players name on the back. Like wearing a Gretzky jersey out there, or someone said, a Crosby.

I never see guys get crap when its just a blank team jersey.

VisionQuest*

My god...fashion police on a hockey bench. Is this womens hockey?

What's your beef with women's hockey?

In any event, I told the guy would he could expect. You don't play much if you think otherwise.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
no, I play goal so am rarely on the bench to hear any of that nonsense. I find is hillarious that any would make an issue of a guy wearing a replica, full crested or not.

Love womens hockey...its just that it is normally a female that will judge and gossip about anothers attire.

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
I only notice people giving murmurs and such when some guy sports a jersey of an NHL players name on the back. Like wearing a Gretzky jersey out there, or someone said, a Crosby.

Besides, if you're out there with a Russian league jersey with the name on the back in Russian, most people (in North America) aren't going to know who's name it is anyway. ;)

VisionQuest*

In net I wear a Russian club jersey. I get a lot of compliments on it from all the Russians I play with.

I think we need to separate a crested replica jersey (no big deal) from those with names and numbers of your favorite pros....thats where you will catch flack on the bench.

hova09

Jun 8, 2004
In net I wear a Russian club jersey. I get a lot of compliments on it from all the Russians I play with.

I think we need to separate a crested replica jersey (no big deal) from those with names and numbers of your favorite pros....thats where you will catch flack on the bench.

Yeah they probably won't understand it anyways, not like there are that many russians where I live. I guess I'll just wear the afino jersey for floor hockey then, there I could care less what others think ;)

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Besides, if you're out there with a Russian league jersey with the name on the back in Russian, most people (in North America) aren't going to know who's name it is anyway. ;)

True, I have my own name on the back though, which I don't think is bad, its when people sport other players names is where I see a lot of flak given on the bench, I mean its hard not to. You mess up and youre wearing a crosby jersey, chances are someone is gonna be like "nice move Crosby!"

Me personally, I don't really care either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad