Playing center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
Probably the most important tips: 1) Get STRONG legs; you'll need them! 2) Get alot of aerobic workouts; you'll need alot of breath because you have to run from one net to the other all the time. 3) Improve both your defense and offense abilities. Do what you want, I prefer to stay on the wing. :D

Mr Brownstone

Aug 31, 2003
596 miles away
Playing center is critical. You're a third defenseman, so make you always assume the front post if your strong-side D pinches to the corner. Any loose puck below the goal line is yours, and remember to never be outnumbered in front of your own net. Just be sure that you think defense first. Work on your faceoff quickness and take the previous poster's advice.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
I've always played either wing or defense but one year I was forced at centre ice. I loved it! The one thing I tried to do was always move my legs. Never stop moving. I constantly circled in both ends and tried to avoid stopping and starting. If you do that you'll be good.

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
I'd agree with whats been said so far. But if you want lots of ice time, work on your faceoffs. If you have the best face off on your team, you will be used more often, in every situation. As well as the above, good vision and awareness are needed (as always) and good passing is useful also.

+73*

-faceoffs
do not underrate this very important part of the game... especially if you are on a puck-control type of team... stock up on old Habs Guy Carbonneau footage, one of the best ever on the draw

-defensive responsibility
at centre, you are basically the third defenceman on the backcheck...wingers may skate the periphery but it is vital for the pivot man (or woman) to get back in transition

-stickhandling/passing
other than obvious SOG situations, look to create...also, utilize the space at the side of and behind the opposing team's goal (Gretzky's office, etc.)... don't be in a rush to force anything through but at the same time, don't try and be too slick, either... unless of course you stickhandle like Nylander, then go to town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad