Post-Game Talk: Playin' Golf Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Ellis hasn't been the same in the playoffs since his injury last year and I also think that the fact that they made their way all the way to the Stanley Cup finals only to lose really took it's toll on him just from his comments in his post season interview after losing in Game 6 in the Finals. He hadn't been as eager to sacrifice his body to block shots or get in the net to keep the puck out after that.

Last edited:

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I'm still proud of our guys cause they had to not only play two extra months in the post season last year w/ their play off run but then they won the President's cup and Central division after that by having to play well in the regular season and then just fight their way to get out of round one and then take it to game 7 round two. You can't at least say the guys slacked off after last year's run. The guys busted their butts but imo just ran out of gas going into the playoffs and wasn't as good as needed to get further past the second round. Now at least they will get some rest and get to enjoy this summer and then be fresh for next season and not have to bust their butts as hard next season since home ice is over rated it seems and can come out fresher come next playoff season (assuming we don't just crap the bed and not make the playoffs next year).

Last edited:
Reactions: Stumbledore

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Giving up that 3-0 lead in game 3 really stings now.
Totally agree. I figured the Preds would win this series in 7. Game 3 is a tough pill to swallow. I predicted the Preds to win Lord Stanley at the start of the season. You guys will be back in the thick of things next season and beyond. It hurts now, but you guys will be back for sure. I think the Jets will win it all now. The Central division is a gong show. Best division in hockey.

Reactions: thegr8one66

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
I cheered hard for the Winnipeg Jets in this series but I will do my best to provide an unbiased assessment of your Predators. For starters, even though this post-season ended prematurely, continue to send the christmas cards out to Marc Bergevin as the Subban-Weber acquisition is a greater heist by the day. Secondly, like many others have pointed out already, Kyle Turris struggled mightily in this series as it appeared he wasn't adapting to the physical nature of the Jets brand of hockey. Do I think Turris is a number two centre on a Stanley Cup calibre team? I have my doubts about that but from the same angle I'm not sure if anyone is realistically out on the open market that could fulfill that void sans John Tavares(he's going to to St.Louis or re-signing on the Island). Your fan base may have to live with a "soft" number two centre although I do ponder whether Austin Watson could be transitioned to a center as if he could, I think he could provide competition for Kyle to perhaps start busting his you know what. I'm a big fan of Watson and believe he is one of your, if not your most underrated player. a

Was it me or did Ryan Johansen really struggle at the face-off dot in the series? I'm not sure if numbers will back me up on this but it just seemed more then not he was losing key draws. Additionally, Forsberg and Johansen have tailor made chemistry without much help from Victor Arvidsson. Arvidsson uses his magical speed to secure the offensive zone but once their he stymies the attack. Would've loved to see Turris be experimented on the wing with those two while dropping down Arvidsson.

Ryan Ellis let's just say didn't have his best day at the office in the crucial game seven. It's going to happen however he was a complete non threat in the offensive zone and as Brian Burke eluded to, his play without the puck in the defensive zone is Justin Schultz-esque. To say I expect news to come out signalling some kind of injury report on Ellis would excuse his pourous performance.

Goaltending....where do I begin? The consensus is that most Preds fans are prepared to look past Pekka Rinne's Vezina nomination and probable win and start in a different direction. I have this question, by moving on from Pekka, are most of the mind that the 2018/2019 starting goaltender should be Juuse Saros or are a couple purported "available" goaltenders in Jake Allen and Petr Mrazek be better fits?

Reactions: Adz and irunthepeg

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I cheered hard for the Winnipeg Jets in this series but I will do my best to provide an unbiased assessment of your Predators. For starters, even though this post-season ended prematurely, continue to send the christmas cards out to Marc Bergevin as the Subban-Weber acquisition is a greater heist by the day. Secondly, like many others have pointed out already, Kyle Turris struggled mightily in this series as it appeared he wasn't adapting to the physical nature of the Jets brand of hockey. Do I think Turris is a number two centre on a Stanley Cup calibre team? I have my doubts about that but from the same angle I'm not sure if anyone is realistically out on the open market that could fulfill that void sans John Tavares(he's going to to St.Louis or re-signing on the Island). Your fan base may have to live with a "soft" number two centre although I do ponder whether Austin Watson could be transitioned to a center as if he could, I think he could provide competition for Kyle to perhaps start busting his you know what. I'm a big fan of Watson and believe he is one of your, if not your most underrated player. a

Was it me or did Ryan Johansen really struggle at the face-off dot in the series? I'm not sure if numbers will back me up on this but it just seemed more then not he was losing key draws. Additionally, Forsberg and Johansen have tailor made chemistry without much help from Victor Arvidsson. Arvidsson uses his magical speed to secure the offensive zone but once their he stymies the attack. Would've loved to see Turris be experimented on the wing with those two while dropping down Arvidsson.

Ryan Ellis let's just say didn't have his best day at the office in the crucial game seven. It's going to happen however he was a complete non threat in the offensive zone and as Brian Burke eluded to, his play without the puck in the defensive zone is Justin Schultz-esque. To say I expect news to come out signalling some kind of injury report on Ellis would excuse his pourous performance.

Goaltending....where do I begin? The consensus is that most Preds fans are prepared to look past Pekka Rinne's Vezina nomination and probable win and start in a different direction. I have this question, by moving on from Pekka, are most of the mind that the 2018/2019 starting goaltender should be Juuse Saros or are a couple purported "available" goaltenders in Jake Allen and Petr Mrazek be better fits?

I would wait and see how this team looks w/ more rest under them having to play two extra months from the playoffs last year and then them busting their butts in the post season to get the President's cup/Central division after that. By the end of the regular season, this team just didn't look in sync and wasn't playing consistently or their best hockey and it continued that way in the post season also. Now if next year they are still not playing well then I would think about making some trades.

Reactions: jorel

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Despite the chatter coming in Joey was not the problem in the playoffs. He and the first line played pretty darn well and if you still think he isn't a #1C you are crazy.

That said, the entire 2nd line was horrible. Turnovers everywhere, weren't winning any kind of battles, bad defensively. That line should have been broken up at some point and I put that on Lavi.

Ellis and Josi were just bad. You can not have two of your best players score zero goals in 13 games, and then play poor defensively to boot. Rinne, frankly I'm done with him. He's still a good solid goalie, but I do not believe we can ever win a cup with him. He and Saros should be looking at a 50/50 split next season, we can decide what to do after his contract is up.

At the end of it all I give the Jets props for making use of our mistakes, but they did not win that series, we handed it to them on a silver platter. It just took them a while to pick it up.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Well, it was disappointing, but not surprising. I suspected that they might Game 6 and then get blown out again at home, so I'm not too upset. We got three days to enjoy one last victory, which is better than losing in 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: jorel

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The Jets are about to play a team that has had all the luck in the post season, and going up a goalie unlike Rinne that has been on fire. I wouldn't be shocked if Vegas doesn't blow their doors off in the first game because of the extra rest.

Reactions: thegr8one66

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I can't believe Rinne let in those first two goals but on the other hand, I can totally believe he let in those first two goals. Saw him do it in person in game 6 of the 2006 Calder Cup Finals and the game was basically over 15 minutes in.
why does this not surprise me coming from the king of choke rinne. would love to see a video just to really soak in the misery

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Try getting shutout at home in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

I thought you guys were gonna win, but I also knew that it was going to depend on what Rinne showed up.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Its this mindset that has us still here without any cups.

You’re right. Looking at the positive side of an 82 game season with a coin flip playoff process at the end is definitely the mindset that has us here without any cups.

Do you even realize how stupid that sounds?

Photosniper89

May 23, 2017
Huntsville, AL
Told a friend who was with me before the game even started, if Peks lets in an easy goal he is going to get in his own head and it's over.

I knew he would be the reason we wouldn't win. Sure, he got us here and this and that but man you can't shit the bed like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad